Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Range Report Quest is Over

• Thank you received: 216

Range Report Quest is Over was created by Libertarian623

Well the search continued today for a best round for my rifle . After having shot a box of FGMM 175gr and getting a best group of 1.5 MOA. I intended to grab some hornandy superformance, but non was to be had. Instead got a box of hornady match 168gr BTHP and also a box of Winchester Ballistic silver tips or SBST308A of the 168gr varity. Bought the Winchester at 46.00 per box , yeah I know that sucks. The Hornady was 38.00 per box. Any ways off to the range was excited to see how the hornady Match would fly not to shabby it was at 1 MOA all the way to 500m. It was getting dim and a friend showed up I was getting ready to leave and decided to stay, we hung some new paper and started shooting. I started at 100 to see how well it would group. Well Shazam 5 rounds into 1 ragged hole, I didn't even know to we checked the spotting scope(damn dark blue targets). Things got serious at that point,out at 200 I continued to shoot groups less than one 1" I was freaked out, so I set out one of those fancy targets that show the white through the black, went back to the line and decided to give it everything I had, I made sure the vinyet(halo) was consistent and almost filled the freaking scope, well I shot the best 3 shot group of my life, center to center, less than 3/8 of a inch at 200m. That comes to less than .1875MOA, can I get a hell yah. Well I abruptly left the range returned (20 miles) to the shop and proceeded to buy the remaining 2 boxes( they didn't want to sell them to me due to rationing ammo). So it would seem the quest for the best round for my weapon is over, I intend to go to the range on Sunday and see if I can push it out to 1000m, then I will know if its really the one. Amen. Can you tell I'm a little excited
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 6 months ago #30323

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Range Report Quest is Over

HELL YEAH! :usa:
Is it the Winchester that grouped so well, I gather it was since you said the Hornady did 1 moa to 500m, thats not shabby either! I don't think I've seen that Winchester load for sale, maybe the price just made me block it out.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #30327

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Range Report Quest is Over

HELL YEAH!
:thumbs:
Start checking the Internet. I think I saw some some place. Try Selway Armory.
Just checked nope also Target Sports carry it but it is sold out.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 6 months ago #30328

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Range Report Quest is Over

Damn good shooting! I'm going to have to try this stuff again. I've used it in .300wsm & .223 for vermin (splodin yotes) and it did extremely well, but I had dismissed it for long range stuff since it was not a "match" round and smk's were cheaper. Looks like I missed out.
Combined Technologies website gives the 168 a .490 BC so that's none too shabby.
I'll be waiting around here sunday for your 1k report.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 6 months ago #30329

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Range Report Quest is Over

Congrats Lib and damn man, that's some nice shootin... :thumbs:
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Sharkey.
10 years 6 months ago #30332

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Range Report Quest is Over

JT- yes it was the Winchester that shot the .1875 group. I have been on the phone, talking to the guy who reloads for me. he says that he wants to take apart some of the bullets and get dimensions and weights. Also going to chrono a couple of rounds on Sunday. I did find it significantly cheaper at a couple of sites. He said his would be better than the factory. So right now I'm getting ready for Sunday I printed out some range cards. Also I may be going to a lake on a isolated piece of state land for shooting. If I can place a target out in the water then I can see the bullet strikes and adjust the turrets to get on target without turning a wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 6 months ago #30335

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!