Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Gun Safety lesson

• Thank you received: 8

Gun Safety lesson was created by celser

I have been shooting for 40+ years and have tried to teach my children and fellow law enforcement officers the importance of gun safety. But I learned a important lesson about gun safety last week.

I received a FN 5.7x28 pistol and was dying to try it out but it was raining so I started messing with it in my house. I loaded the magazine and jacked a round into the chamber and reloaded the magazine to full capacity. I was not familiar with FN's and I had no idea about the safety and I grasped the gun, slightly touched the trigger, and shot a hole thru my bedroom wall outside into the yard. This totally shocked me, how could I do this, what a fool.

I sat on my bed thinking, wow, at least I was muzzle aware enough to point it out of the interior of the house (not a conscious plan). My son was watching TV in the next room, what if I had shot him with a 5.7 with two sheets of sheet rock between us, the lord was looking out for me that day.

After the incident I went out and shot the gun and was surprised how light the trigger pull is and how there is no creep unlike my American made pistols, and I figured out the safety. The 5.7 can make tight groups out to 200yrds.

Thought I would share that, I am a gun junkie, I have a problem.

lessons learned:
never mess with loaded and charged guns in the house
never mess with an un-familiar weapon loaded
keep sheet rock patch on hand to keep wife off your case
The French make a fine weapon
The following user(s) said Thank You: NAMVET1970, Akai, Siscowet, Libertarian623
9 years 8 months ago #41479

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Gun Safety lesson

Good lesson and good story. I want one of those.
9 years 8 months ago #41480

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic Gun Safety lesson

I hang with a group of older gentlemen, who, at times, will bring a new gun with them and show it to the group. For the most part, everyone practices good safety procedures. Once in while though, one individual gets a little lazy or careless.

No one is shy about reminding the offender about what he is doing wrong. Usually the offender thanks the reminding member for his or her concern and that's the end of it.

My point is, we all have lapses in gun safety, I guess we get mentally lazy once in while. So we all need to remind each other that those lapses are always a serious wake up call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623, celser
9 years 8 months ago #41484

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Gun Safety lesson

Don't know where you hail from celser, but I had one bought from a friends estate, but lost it to a local law enforcement officer, but he beat me to it through the sister handling the estate! found one through a local pawn shop took him awhile to admit that he even had it! offered 200 more then then going price and he would not budge on the hidden price :pinch: , needless to say I sill don't have one, but could have had a great deal on the ammo, but if ya don't have the gun I had to pass. Gave up one one until now, for some reason I really want one :pray: convince me :cowboy:
AKAI
9 years 8 months ago #41543

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic Gun Safety lesson

It's very unsettling when these things happen....
The following user(s) said Thank You: celser
9 years 8 months ago #41548

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by celser on topic Gun Safety lesson

Its a very light gun even with a full mag. there is no recoil and no barrel jump. Feels like shooting a .22 pistol but with less jump if you can imagine that. I can hang skeet hot glued to a piece of string 100 yards down range and blast them with open sights. Down side, it shoots thru everything so you have to be real aware of your surroundings and whats behind your target.
When you shoot its single action only with out a de-cock or exposed hammer so your only safety is the lever or not chambering a round, that's where I messed up. the 5.7x28 is small without the expansion or knock down of a larger caliber so you have to make a good shot.
9 years 8 months ago #41593

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!