Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle? was created by Sharkey

Without getting in to all of the "reload" stuff guys, what is your rifle and which store bought ammo do you find is the best for your applications?

For me, I'm always torn between price and probably mid-range accuracy - I'm an ok shot I think for what I've done and anything I might have to deal with. If I'm getting all solid head-shots at 200 yards while firing pretty quickly, I'm usually pretty happy. I tend to empty a 20 round mag in under 2 or 3 minutes if I REEEALLY strain myself to go slow but I'll also bounce between 6 or 8 different targets as I go and at maybe 3 different distances if no one else is around. :) I'm no "eyeball shooter" nor will I ever be but I drop what I aim for.

I've settled into a very nice groove with the Prvi Partizan 168gr HPBT the last few times out and am backing away from all of the soft points I have historically fired. The prices have been good I figure with a head-shot from a .308, hollow point OR soft point ain't gonna make much of a difference anyway and the HPBTs have been doing very well for me lately. They also seem to fire through a hot barrel better (more accurately) than the SPs.

My rifle is just the basic AR10A2BF. Basic service model with carry handle and 20" barrel. Stock trigger but decent scope.

What's your rifle and what store bought ammo does it like best?
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Sharkey.
10 years 8 months ago #26932

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

I like stuff from Lake City. My RRA LAR8 likes it too. 20" of course :P
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Dabu. Reason: ta daaa!
10 years 8 months ago #26933

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by 10before15 on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

Hornady 178 and 168 HTBT match have worked well for me(.75"-.42"@100) in my AR10TBNM. I have shot a lot of Prvi, 145gr, FMJBT (1"-1.5" @100)just to get some trigger time. On a side note, I have just worked up my first batch of ammo. 168gr SMK, over 40gr of IMR4895 with Federal Match primers. If it works out well I will send you some Sharkey B) . If it doesn't, send flowers :pinch: .
10 years 8 months ago #26934

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

lol... What kind do you prefer down there in Texas? Some of those wild purple and red ones that grow all over the place?? I might have to hire some pickers... :laugh:
10 years 8 months ago #26936

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

Maybe its just me but I go for US made products, US Mil Sur is fine for banging away, when I got to hunt I got for high quality stuff, I like Barnes Vortex, Black Hills and several others.
10 years 8 months ago #26938

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

Federal Gold Medal Match loaded with 175 grain Sierra Match King BTHP bullet, followed by Lake City M118 LR surplus loaded with the same bullet. My reloads mimic these two. In a Standard AR10B4
10 years 8 months ago #26940

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

FNB with the NATO cross followed by RADWAY GREEN, a good balance between cheap, quality components, and accuracy. At under 300 yards I get better groups with these than any match ammo with 175 grain projectiles. I have not done enough shooting past 300 yards to judge the longer range stuff. Pakistani surplus gives me better groups at 100 yards than FGMM :huh: go figure!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 8 months ago #26942

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

When I use commercial ammo, the REPR (20" barrel) prefers FGMM or BH 175's while my Armalite A4 carbine actually prefers Federal's American Eagle 168 OTM's.
RLTW
10 years 8 months ago #26945

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

Black Hills has been the most consistent for me, lot to lot.
I've not shot enough asym to rate its consistency, but what I have shot has been excellent.

I'd give fgmm a better rating, it is consistent for factory ammo, but it is loaded too soft for my 20".

I'll plink and practice with whatever is less costly, PPU, LC, etc, but for quality stuff I'll try anything with the SMK at least once.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 8 months ago #26955

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by maskman228 on topic What is your favorite ammo for YOUR rifle?

Ive had the best results with the 19 dollar ppu 168 gr. My gun loves it, and for 19 dollars, I love it too. Armalite 2o inch. On an EDM VR10 lower.
10 years 3 months ago #32556

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!