Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Muzzle Breaks

• Thank you received: 102

Muzzle Breaks was created by BUILDING MY SASS

I am going to direct this toward a few individuals but please anyone with input feel free to reply.
This question goes out to Crux, Lokmeup, Edge, and MSH, and anyone else that has a Muzzle break or has used one.
OK, I just got done reading an article in Shooting Illustrated ( June 09 issue) as to the uselessness of a Flash Suppressor (A2 bird cage)on the AR platforms, unless in the military, for which it was designed (to hide the flash)and that it actually hinders the performance on a civilian weapon. I was under the impression that the Bird Cage was not only to hide the flash, but given it's design, directed the gases upwards in keep the barrel down during firing. I know that I have read that muzzle breaks help on the BIG guns to reduce recoil, I know I have suggested it to a few guys I know with 300 Win Mags and bigger do to the recoil, but on weapons like ours, does it really help in reducing recoil and increase accuracy that much. I would like to add a suppressor to mine (some day, but we all know how expensive that is)so I never gave a break much thought other than seeing them on sniper weapons and competition rifles. I mean if it is that big of a difference in performance, it's a NO brainer whether to add one or not.
Some experienced input would be much appreciated.
Thanks..........BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 10 months ago #1578

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lokmeup on topic Re:Muzzle Breaks

I use the PWS FSC30. It works.

Here is a video of it performing: primaryweapons.com/UserFiles/Media/FSC30.wmv

You can make your own decision.
14 years 10 months ago #1579

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Muzzle Breaks

First I should ask, what is your ultimate goal for using your AR10? Competition, Long range shooting (sniper), just plinking?

Given the answer to that, then we can figure out what will work best for you.

In my experience, a suppressor is by far the best at reducing recoil, flash and of course noise.

The PWS brake/flash hider combo is pretty good and I would also recommend one of those if you're looking for a compromise between reducing recoil and flash. They are here in Boise and have recently teamed up with Gemtech to produce their brake/flash hider with the lugs for mounting the Gemtech suppressors. Something to think about if you may want a suppressor down the road.

The best flash hiders I've come accross are the Vortex and the Phantom. Both work extremely well at reducing flash. The A2 birdcage is a joke really, when compared to these other two.

The best muzzle brakes that I've seen and used are the Miculek and the PWS, but they are loud!!! Especially on a short barreled AR10. I hate being next to one on the firing line or when I've done team shoots and my team mate has a brake on his AR. The concussion really throws you off your concentration.(all of us have suppressors now for use in "team shoots", and it has helped us a great deal!!!!)

After getting a suppressor last year, I'm hooked. I can't believe I went so long without one! If you live in a State that allows them and can save your money for one, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
14 years 10 months ago #1581

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Muzzle Breaks

OK, to answer a familiar question, what is the goal, I would have to say, D. all of the above. I build it for sport and fun as well as defense, hence, The PASS. I always have enjoyed shooting, and since buying my AR-10 I have learned so much and am still learning (AR-10, 101). As I have said, I know accessories, so other than what I learn from articles, I'm still at a loss. Suppressors, well I want to get one, but I have to pay down my resources for awhile, probably next year. Does it really get any louder with a break on compared to the bird cage, I have a hard time conceiving that it can be any louder (chuckle). Back to the issue at hand, does it increase the accuracy and lesson the recoil that much? One last inquiry, what about the factory muzzle break from ArmaLite, any thoughts there.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 10 months ago #1583

BUILDING MY SASS wrote:
I think they are louder, but maybe I just have whimpy ears. :-) I've shot all sorts of rifles with various brakes on them, and they are all loud, even with ear plugs on.

I don't think muzzle brakes improve accuracy in fact some argue that they decrease accuracy (you'll notice that Armalite AR10T's don't have muzzle brakes, nor do super accurate sniper rifles, but there's always the exception). The thing that they do do (ha, I said do do!) is help you get back on target quicker.

Now a good barrel with a good suppressor on it will increase accuracy. I've seen that.

For defensive purposes, if you're in your house and fire that 16" barreled AR10 off in defense, your eardrums are going to ring for a while with a muzzle brake. If you're in a confined area, you may even burst them.

If you really want to try one out, I say go for it. However, if it were me, I'd put the $50 to $150 you're going to spend on one towards a suppressor.

Just my $.02
14 years 10 months ago #1584

I'll have to read that article that you read, because "unless in the military, for which it was designed (to hide the flash)and that it actually hinders the performance on a civilian weapon" is kind of vague. What is it hindering? Accuracy? Follow up shots?

I tend to agree that it hinders accuracy, mainly because of the noise they generate and to some extent I think they can alter the flight path of each bullet when they exit the barrel. (It really depends on the barrel, how the muzzle brake was attached/threaded, and the brake design)

If you're trying to win the local 3-gun match, then a muzzle brake would work better for that venue.

If you're trying to win a long range precision match, then no brake/flash hider may be better. Plus some competitions ban them, because they tend to spray dirt and rocks up on your neighbors expensive scope and rifle.

Lots of things to think about.
14 years 10 months ago #1585

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Muzzle Breaks

Any time you turn down a barrel and thread it you enlarge the bore. That is always seen on the air flow by the ball in the bore. (Airguage) So it don't help accuracy. Most of the time it don't hurt it but once in a while it does. The barrels I care about I press the attachment on and contour the break or flash hider to the barrel. That puts the squeese to the muzzle. Never had a bad one like that.MSH
14 years 10 months ago #1590

If you get the mag, it's on page 38. It does say about the BC (bird cage) "They are also useless". It talks about for civilian use, being that we don't engage in long fire fights, and need to conceal our positions that it serves no real purpose other than "They do look very cool" which they do. It also talks about upping the performance with a break and give you a tactical advantage for civilian use. It goes on to say, according to the author, that it will actually aid in accuracy by dampening harmonic vibrations. I'm so confused! (chuckle chuckle)
As for the hindering, I guess that was my own interpretation of what it when on to say, you know the old saying, "ask 10 different people, get 10 different answers" hahahaha.
I think your right and I'll just put away for a suppressor and call it a day. I don't think a break would help with the way I have mine set up and for what I use it for, or might have to use it for. But still it is some thing to consider, I guess a guy could have both, and switch it out when needed, I think not, chuckle chuckle.
You should get the magazine, I think you would like the article.
BMS

14 years 10 months ago #1591

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lokmeup on topic Re:Muzzle Breaks

If I lived in a free state, there would be no question what I would get... EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT!
14 years 10 months ago #1592

Thanks for the input, and that does make alot of sense as far as pressing it on verses turning down the barrel. I will have to keep that in mind.
BMS

14 years 10 months ago #1593

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!