Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

questions about upper and lower receivers

• Thank you received: 0

questions about upper and lower receivers was created by derfarhar333

Hello all. My first post here so go easy on me. I am a self-professed noob and these maybe the dumbest questions in the history of man but here goes... I'm wanting to build an AR..308 caliber and a good multi-purpose rifle. I'm also looking to save a little cash by somewhat piecing it together. If I buy a completed upper receiver will it include all the parts so I can attach it to the completed lower receiver and have all the necessary parts? Do they come with a barrel and hand guard? I appreciate the help in advance.

Derek
12 years 8 months ago #8624

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by TrapperJohn on topic Re: questions about upper and lower receivers

If you buy a complete upper it will usually come with everything but the bolt carrier group and the charging handle. You can order these with the upper that way you have all the pieces. LMT will give you that option when you order but I am not sure about Armalite or DPMS. If you are going to order from a web site they usually will state that it does or does not include the BCG (Bolt carrier group) and charging handle. The barrel and hand guard come with the upper.

The thing you want to look out for is if the upper has a forward assist because you will need a BCG to match that upper.

Here is an Armalite upper with the BCG and charging handle included.

www.762sass.com/product.php?p=320&cid=1&...d83fab36ce3d194c88b4

If it does not tell you be sure to contact the seller before you order to check if it comes with those parts or not and if does not have them add those parts to your order.

Keep in mind you are going to have to understand the different specs between companies. These are not AR-15's where parts are interchangeable. Armalite and DPMS have different specs and most manufactures have adopted either DPMS or Armalite specs for their rifles.

It is just best to stick with one company so you know everything will match.

GOOD LUCK!!!
12 years 8 months ago #8625

Replied by derfarhar333 on topic Re: questions about upper and lower receivers

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to think that I would be better off just buying the gun I want because it doesn't look like I'm going to save any cash. I don't plan on collecting ARs. I just want 1 good quality gun that will serve me in multiple applications. From target to hunting to whatever. I'm really considering Rock River Arms LAR-8 A2 Operator. Any personal experiences with thiis manufacturer?
12 years 8 months ago #8626

Replied by mantawolf on topic Re: questions about upper and lower receivers

Every board I have seen says they have horrible service but the guns are good. I see tons of them at every gun show so that may be your best bet rather than ordering.

I ordered a PredatAR since I am going to wait. larueosr.com/ltp762-16.aspx
12 years 8 months ago #8627

Some thing's to think about is the weight of a 308 AR. My SASS without optics weighs 12 pounds. HS precision weighs about 10.5 pounds without optics both of these are precision tactical rifles but the AR just weighs more. The 308 carbine model is close to 8 pounds where a carbine AR15 weighs 6.5 pounds and under.

My point is that you want to decide which one is your priority. For me target was first reason while hunting with it is secondary. If hunting was my first priority I would have gone with a completely different rifle that was lighter and easier to carry.

Think about that and let that decision guide you with the type of rifle you want to buy. As far as companies go most make very good rifles but look at the specs and magazines they use. Rock River use FAL mags and they were having problems but they probably fixed that by now. Armalite uses M14 mags and had a similar problem but that problem has been fixed. DPMS uses the SR25 mags.

Armalite uses forged receivers where DPMS use milled receivers. I did read somewhere that Rock River forged their receivers but don't quote me on that.

You should also look at:

Noveske

LaRue Tactical

LMT

Iron Ridge - New to the game but they make good stuff. Been to their shop here in Colorado and the owner is a very good guy and has helped me out on some projects without ever charging me a dime.

RND - Another Colorado company that produces real quality. They are a little pricy but they are really top notch. I would also say they make some of the best AR's in the country and the owner really wants to produce the best and will handle any problems personally. I would also say RND really make one badass .338 AR. If I ever have the money for a .338 that is what I am going to get.
12 years 8 months ago #8628

Sound advice. I think I'm going to take that advice and the advice you probably didn't mean to give trapperjohn and that is that not all 10s interchange like 15s. Since targeting is my primary aim with the gun I believe I will go with an AR15. I will likely go with a factory produced model from Colt or Sig. Do you have any recommendations as far as non-custom builders? Thanks for your help trapperjohn and congrats on your Larue Mantawolf. I hope you enjoy it.
12 years 8 months ago #8629

If you are going to AR15 route build it yourself. You will save cash and get exactly what you want. I would start looking at barrels first. Receivers after.

For the receivers if you want to go precision look at SunDevil.

www.sundevilmfg.com/products.php

They sell the upper and lower that are matched to each other for the best fit. Another company is BCM they do make military grade AR15's and I have never heard anything bad about them. One of my favorites for AR-15 builds is LMT. They make some really good stuff and in my opinion the best collapsible stock on the market the SOPMOD stock.

www.lewismachine.net/

But there are so many companies that make lowers. Take a look around and see what you want. One other thing. Don't be afraid to build it yourself. It is very easy! The information out there is amazing. Also take a look at AR15.com and look at the forums dedicated to building. You will learn a lot.

I can post some more info later but I need to run some errands so I will be back later. CHEERS!
12 years 8 months ago #8630

When you say 'build' do you mean buy stripped recievers and all the smaller parts and piece it together that way or completed receivers like we spoke of earlier? Also, does that require a lot of special tools? And can a total rookie build a rifle of the same quality he buys from a manufacturer? Sorry to keep battering you with all these questions. Thanks again.
12 years 8 months ago #8631

Some things to think about. What caliber do you want? If you want to go precision I would just stick with the .308. There is so much data, bullet selection & ammo selection. The AR10 is starting to become more popular by the day and it will have more and more caliber selection and options in the future. If you go with the AR15 you will be limited. The one round that they have been shooting at a 1000yds is the 6.5 Grendel but it expensive and not very common.

If you wanted to go 600yrds or less - AR15

If you ever wanted to a 1000 - AR308

The AR15 also has an amazing caliber selection you could choose from:

223/5.56
6 x 45
7 x 40
357 Mag Rimless
300 Whisper / .300Fireball / 300-.221
6.5 x 40
.30 Coyote (30 x 45)
.17 Remington
.17 Mach IV
.20 Tactical
.19 Calhoun
5.7 FN (developed by Rhinland Arms - no word yet on who is going to mfg it)
.204 Ruger
6.8 SPC
30 HRT
338 Spectre
10 mm Mag
35/40
219 WASP-C
7.62 x 40
5.45x39
7.62 x 39
.338 x 39
6 PPC
6.5 Grendel / 6.5 AR / 6.5 PPC Improved
22 PPC
7 sCAR ....
30 Carbine
5.45x39 / .21 Ghengis
7 BR
6.5 BR
300 Sabre
8mm (belt fed upper)
.308 (again a belt fed upper - no longer available)
458 SOCOM
44 Mag
440 CorBon
44 AMP
.475 Tremor
50AE
499LW
50 Beowulf
.50 BMG (single shot)
.50 Blackpowder (1 made)
9mm
45ACP
32ACP
22 LR
17 HV
10mm
7.62x25
224 BoZ
7.62x24
9x23
.357 Sig
.357 Auto
40S&W
223 WSSM
243 WSSM
300 WSSM
.30 RAR
12 years 8 months ago #8632

I would guess the .223. You can change uppers and magazines for different calibers right?
12 years 8 months ago #8633

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!