Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-15 Build Advice Sought

• Thank you received: 556

AR-15 Build Advice Sought was created by jtallen83

I've decided to build an AR-15 since I'll have time on my hands for the next few months. I'd like to get some advice on parts purchasing for a start. If I can find a pistol registered lower before I head to Mississippi I'll go that route otherwise it will be a carbine.
I'm already realizing the the list of parts makers-sellers is a long one so rather than ask for recommendations on what to buy I thought I'd seek advice on what to avoid or cross of the list? :unsure:
Once I have a functioning AR-15 built then I'll step up to an AR-10 carbine next :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #33159

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

What is your budget?

What do you expect out of the rifle you build?
10 years 3 months ago #33174

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

1st off......you do not need a "pistol registered lower" Any stripped receiver, that is bought as a stripped lower, as in never been assembled before, will be listed on the 4473 as "receiver" or "other". You can build that into a pistol or a receiver.

As far as a parts list,.......you really should define your end result and work toward that goal. Pistol, carbine, stock, handguard, accuracy, sights, optics,.......... I tend to advise builders to stay away from cheap parts/pieces. I do not use. PSA or DPMS, I love BCM parts, RRA lower parts kits are very good and well priced, but triggers are crap.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 3 months ago #33177

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

My budget is flexible, ideally I want to keep it under $1000 but I'm thinking about that new Tac-Con 3MR trigger so that would blow up the price a bit.
I want to keep it light and short with a rail for a light but that's about the only extra I see bolting on. A 7 inch or so barrel is my thought right now. I know reliability is tough with the shorty but I'm up for the challenge.
My Wife gave me a flaming pig for Christmas so I have that end covered, any recommendations on the buffer as far as weight goes? I've read that is another critical factor in getting a little gas gun to be reliable. I'd like to be able to use as wide a variety of ammo as possible but I'm OK if it only functions good with heavier stuff.
I've seen a gadget that lets you fold the buffer tube for storage, any thoughts on that?
I doubt I shoot must past 100 yards with it so no match barrel needed. Chances are if I put the 3MR trigger on it I'll eat it up fast anyway. 1-7 twist should work then?
I'm glad to hear the lowers are registered that way, I should be able to pick up a fresh one at a local gun show on saturday then.
It might sound odd but the two main things I want to accomplish with this build are, 1. Gain some experience and 2. Occupy some time, I don't start the construction phase of my next job till late March so till then I won't have much to do at work or home except put in my 40 hours and get my expense check spent before the wife thinks she needs to help with that. A build should help with both those needs!
Thanks for the replies, :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #33179

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

If a 7" upper is what you desire, be sure to get an ENTIRE upper from an established, well respected company. Those short barrel upper are a pain in the arse below 10.5"
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 3 months ago #33181

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

kb-mfg.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...f56d2740d945a1839bf5

All you'll need is the trigger of your choice, the length of rail for a light, and the stripped receiver.

If you have trouble with reliable cycling.

1. You can pull the buffer apart and add lead weights, if you need I can cast those.

2. You may need to drill the gas port larger, get a numbered bit set and start small and work up very slowly.

3. Get an adjustable gas block.
A. This will allow you to tune the gas for ammo.
B. If you go too far with step 2 you can fix it with this.

Me, I'd do all the above as you will still likely stay under budget.

P.S. Steak or use rockset on your gas key screws.

P.S.S. If the 1-2-3 job sounds like a bit much I'll trade doing the work in exchange for the factory trigger group you don't plan to use.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by SOC.
10 years 3 months ago #33197

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

I personally do not like such a fast twist on a short bbl it leads to a lot of instability in the rd...that said he can leave one heck of a hole, LOL. On the other hand you will give up some accuracy. You are only going to get a full rotation out of it before it leaves the muzzle. I would slow it down some...just sayin
10 years 3 months ago #33200

I like it, this may be a good option for me.
I was thinking an adjustable gas block may give me more flexibility. I didn't realize I could adjust the weight of the buffer myself, thats a big plus. Even if I don't need any work done we might be able to make a trade for the trigger, if I get it to run right I'm sure it won't be the last build! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #33201

From what I've seen so far 1-9 is about the only other option. I'm not ready to custom order anything like that yet, when I get ready for an AR-10 carbine then I'll go all out!
I always get it mixed up, will 1-9 be good for the heavier bullets like 77 grain SMK's?
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 3 months ago #33202

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR-15 Build Advice Sought

Fast twist and a fast rd, short bbl can lead to some big time tumbling, loss of accuracy. You will find most pistols run around 1:16-1:20 and they are generally heavy rds, 44 mag, 45 ACP etc. go for the 1:9 will be better than the 1:7.

Here is what occurs: The fast spin and high velocity and short as in 7 in bbl may not give the rd enough time in bbl to stabilize due to inertia not catching up soon enough.

Get in any kind of car with a V8 and nail it from a stop. Note how you get pushed back in the seat, but notice how in short time you are no longer pushed back. What happens is the inertia catches up with the velocity of the car. Hence a prime reason why longer bbls are more accurate is the stability of the rd traveling thru a longer space and time. Let the bullet leave too soon and the inertia suddenly catches up and causes the bullet to torque which induces instability and tumbling.
10 years 3 months ago #33206

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!