Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

• Thank you received: 147

Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels was created by Akai

Anyone ever had this done to any of their weapons? What were your results?
cryopro.com/
AKAI
11 years 2 weeks ago #20741

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

No, but reading about it for the FN SCAR, and also for RRA AR's I think it would be a good thing. If I ever get either of my accuracy platform AR's rebarreled, I will definitely go that route. MRaley, Has Armalite ever investigated it?
11 years 2 weeks ago #20750

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

A few years vp back I was into Mini 14s very badly.
Had a Mini barrel cryo'ed, greatly improved the vertical stringing that plagues the Mini.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 2 weeks ago #20755

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

Then again I've heard some barrel makers like Shilen dismiss it.

From the Shilen website FAQs section:
RLTW
11 years 2 weeks ago #20760

Not to dispute Shilen, but it did a lot for the stringing with the Mini when the barrel heated up.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 2 weeks ago #20761

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

I have no doubt that it helped, just throwing up a different school of thought. Those Mini barrels are so thin that it doesn't take too much to heat them up, I agree. Anything you can do to lessen the muzzle whip would be an improvement. How much did that run you, if I may ask?
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by LebbenB.
11 years 2 weeks ago #20765

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

Shilen & lija don't do it. Kreiger does it twice, or used too. There are also knife makers that have either sworn by it or sworn it off as "no difference we can measure".

Comparing the initial stress of a mini14 barrel and a point cut custom match barrel can be the reason for the difference in improvement, given that the quality difference was that the match barrel already has less stress than the process can relieve.
just a thought.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 weeks ago #20771

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

I looked into it. The stats are hazey, and the process is interesting (to say the least!). IMHO, it's a con job.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 2 weeks ago #20830

Mine was a Ranch model, so the barrel was a bit thicker. I had a frien that worked at CryroPro about eight years ago. Cost me postage and $20
I have go heard they charge about $150 these days. Have not messed with a Mini in about six years.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 2 weeks ago #20840

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Cryogenic Processing for Gun Barrels

You would do well to read this article:

The Science of Cryogenic Processing

The following information is taken from ASM Handbook Volume 4 Heat Treating, ©1991 and last revised in 2001:

"Cold Treating and Cryogenic Treatment of Steel" from ASM Handbook Volume 4 Heat Treating, p203-206.

One of the problems on the gun industry and this hold true for other forms of things people do either professionally or for recreation there are a lot of "experts" and many of them make a living selling their expertise. They often do not know or fully understand what they are doing.

I have been off roading since the 60's, owned an offroad shop and built Jeeps that do that. By luck I guess I am an engineer by trade and I call upon my background to sort out fact from fuzz, truth from fable.

We have no shortage of that in the gun world and in spades in the AR world. You might ask the question: What does it take to go into the AR selling business? At its most basic you have to place an order from someone who sells lowers and will put your logo on the side of it. Now gather the parts, assemble them and run some ads, you are in business. There is not one single requirement for you to actually manufacture a single part.

After spending more than a day on the NRA convention floor, I did not know there were that many companies selling AR's, names I have never heard of of, yet there they were selling the worlds best and most accurate AR so says them...

Cold treating AND cryogenic treatment of metals is a science, been around a LONG time...

I am no expert on guns, don't try to be and look to folks that indeed are, we have a few of them on here in fact. I am but an end user of guns, but have owned one since I got my first at age 5. What I can tell is when someone knows what they are talking about, on here I pay attention to several folks whose knowledge is trustable and most of all verifiable...'Trust by verify' Ronald Reagan.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 11 months ago #23120

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!