Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308 was created by Deputy108

Wow I was very impressed with both of my guns I shot 50 rounds each in 5 round intervals each rifle I made a head shot @ 1400ft.when needed on a human hostage target. I shoot competitions between various LE dept. Both rifles are 24 inch barrels the only difference between the 2 is AR-10 has a carry handle with a black barrel and the DPMS is a flattop with a stainless barrel. Both are fantastic weapons well worth the money spent. Let me know what you think?:cheer:
13 years 2 weeks ago #7122

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by xgcakasha on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

I love my DPMS LR-308 but I have not had a chance to do any shooting past 600 yds since that is the maximum distance that you can shoot at my local range. I have not tried an Armalite before to really give any sort of opinion on how well it shoots, but I think the Armalite is a nice rifle as long as you do not wish to customize it very much. It has the same drawbacks as the Rock River LAR-8 in that the parts on them are not interchangeable between other brands.
you can never have too many guns or too much ammo

NRA life member
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by xgcakasha. Reason: clarification
13 years 2 weeks ago #7123

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by alamo308 on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

I have never shot the Armalite, but I have shot my DPMS LR-308 out to 1,000 yards and could hit a torso-sized group (shooting iron/aperture sights, prone, no rest, but slinged); ammo = LC M118LR.
:P
Extremely impressed and pleased. The only mod I made to the original out-of-the-box gun was to add the aperture sights and a lead weight in the cleaning compartment.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by alamo308. Reason: image
13 years 1 week ago #7193

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by xgcakasha on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

nice :)
you can never have too many guns or too much ammo

NRA life member
13 years 1 week ago #7196

Replied by Deputy108 on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

That is the exact same gun I have I love it the only problem I have is the rifle is close to 13lbs same weight as an M-14 but it is well worth the money. What kind of sights do you have on your never seen those type of sights? This is my AR-10. stripped.
13 years 1 week ago #7201

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by alamo308 on topic Re: What Sights?

Those sights are precision match sights. The micrometer-adjustable (elevation and windage) rear sight is by PNW, and the front spirit-level sight is by Tompkins. Both have (add-ons) adjustable iris apertures (by Gehmann) to increase or tighten the size of the centering circles. All available from several vendors, including Champions Choice Supply .

Images are not to scale! :P

Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by alamo308. Reason: text
13 years 1 week ago #7204

Replied by conpinto on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

hello all u pro gunners...I just got DPMS LR-308 and the beak in instructions seemed rather excessive....clean the barrel after every shot for the first 25 shots..Is this really necessary?
12 years 4 months ago #9412

Replied by Hot Lead Zapper on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

Yes,

Some shooters may take barrel break-ins up to 100 rounds fired cleaning bore every two shots after the first twenty.

Necessary, I can't say for sure, but it does not hurt...!

To make the process easier I use the bore snake. It does not require breaking down the rifle to clean the bore from general foiling. Simply drop the bore snake muzzle first will keep foiling from the upper receiver from interring the chamber. Then I use a typical cloth patch and cleaning rod with Shooter's Choice Copper Remover followed with a dry cloth patch. Don't pull either wet or dry patch back through the bore. Always remove patches from the open chamber before remove cleaning rod. It only takes a few seconds to complete the process.
www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42500/psize=...uct/VIPER-BORE-SNAKE
www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13902/psize=...oduct/COPPER-REMOVER
12 years 3 months ago #9642

Replied by Hot Lead Zapper on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

King of the Jungle is the only 100% in house U.S.A. manufactured. They never outsource contractor parts for their barrels, upper receivers, lower receivers, fore grips, magazines, lower trigger groups, bolt carriers, locking bolts, recoil buffer tubes, and internal machined parts. The only Armalite’s outsourced stock accessory is the Magpul PRS for the SuperSASS. Armalite’s quality control and customer service is second to none founded by Eugene Stoner’s standards.

Armalite sponsors major long range events and mutable shooting teams, individuals, and the highest numbers of name brand AR platform rifles in competitive long range shooting sports.
www.armalite.com/Categories.a...6-d0044be9838e

SHOT Show Tactical 2010: ArmaLite Debuts New Camp Perry-Legal AR-10® National Match…
www.tacticalgearmag.com/profi...-tactical-2010

Armalite Opens Its 2011 Camp Perry Store…
www.ammoland.com/2011/07/13/a...p-perry-store/

Armalite has sold AR10s to different U.S. Military elite unit departments, which has the ability to accept firearms and accessories outside of normal military contracts.

Shooter Magazine: Armalite AR10 Super SASS…
shootermagazine.com/armalite-ar10-super-sass/

ArmaLite Canadian Sniper Contract Super SASS
www.762sass.com/product.php?p...53eb6cd162afb7

To improve function, the ArmaLite AR-10B employs far fewer parts from the AR15/M16 rifles than the SR25 and DPMS 308 AR15 pattern design.

Actually, few parts in the AR10 are identical to AR15 parts compared to SR25 and DPMS 308. It's surprising and one would think that more would be used, but the AR10 were massively engineered and the designers didn't make compromises to use existing parts. The logistics just weren't worth the disadvantages we'd have accepted.”
www.armalite.com/images/Library%5CAL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf

DPMS 308 is a fine hunting rifle and competitive platform regardless the lack of long range competitive records compared to King of the Jungle, but then again DPMS does not put forth the efforts towards long range competition in comparison. DPMS sponsors no events, one competitive 3gun shooter and a lot of cage fighters for whatever reason.
www.dpmsinc.com/awards/sponsorship.aspx
12 years 3 months ago #9643

Replied by bensimon_1981 on topic Re: Armalite's AR-10 vs, DPMS LR-308

Hi, there!! New to gun forums. I saw that .308 ar on a sale 50$+ 11% excise duty which would put them at about 55$. 308 ar manufactures seems to be a good option, I have bought some items from them before but have never seen their lower. Anyone knowledge of them please let me know about it. Thanks in advance"
12 years 1 week ago #11162

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!