Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrel Extension Source

• Thank you received: 0

Barrel Extension Source was created by wayneeh

I am trying to purchase barrel extensions to fit the DPMS 7.62 platform in bulk directly from a machining supplier. Does anyone know a source? Also, does anyone have a dimensional drawing of the 7.62 DPMS style barrel extension? Thanks for the help.
13 years 2 months ago #6444

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by pookybear308 on topic Barrel Extension Source

I have no source but I would like to know if the thread on Armalite barrels is the same as on 'other' brands. Same size? Same pitch?

-stuck part way through a build

ok, some background...I bought a slightly used allegedly Armalite 20" barrel with no barrel extension. What fits with my DPMS-pattern upper and must the brand of the extension match the brand of the bolt & carrier? Opinions welcome. Please?
10 years 9 months ago #25494

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Barrel Extension Source

Don't know about the rest of it, but according to the Brownell's online catalog, Bat Machine makes .308 AR barrel extensions that work in the DMPS LR-308. Not sure if the threading is the same on the Armalite barrel. You might give Brownell's a call actually, they have gunsmiths on staff to answer these kinds of questions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pookybear308
10 years 9 months ago #25497

Thanks!
Checking thread/pitch on the barrel today before contacting Brownell's and/or Bat Machine.

Have you any opinion of the reality of installing an extension on a barrel? As in- Am I wasting my time trying to do this on my own? I'm guessing(again)that it's a matter of clean threads, barrel vise, red Loctite, & making sure the locating pin clocks correctly with the gas bleed hole. :pray:
10 years 9 months ago #25527

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Barrel Extension Source

I would HIGHLY recommend you return the barrel and buy a complete barrel.
If you get an extension and put it on or have it put on, it is IMPERATIVE that you have the head space checked! See the links I posted in the member forum, there should be a manual that explains a barrel extension install. Will be for an AR15, but most data will be the same for an AR10 install.

This is something I would NOT attempt myself, I think this is a shop job. ADCO would be my pick, however, I would start with a complete barrel if I were in this situation.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 9 months ago #25531

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Barrel Extension Source

:I-agree:
RLTW
10 years 9 months ago #25537

Thanks...respected opinions noted.

I'd like to avoid the 'new barrel' option if I can, if only to avoid increasing the final cost. That said, I am fascinated by what the process would entail and will continue the research for my own knowledge & amusement...and am ok with a result of "fer gawd sake, don't go there!!!" :-) It can only help my credibility in future discussions to have wrung the topic out myself. I'm already seeing that the cost of extra parts and tools is approaching the new barrel price. Still investigating local gunsmiths for costs and opinions.
10 years 9 months ago #25545

Make darn sure a "local gunsmith" knows what they THINK they know.
Many barrels, guns and small parts have been screwed up by hacks.

I seriously suggest,......send it to ADCO, they know what the heJJ they are doing!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 9 months ago #25546

Uhhh....who is ADCO, should that prove to be an option?

btw-I don't consider the barrel to have been misrepresented by the seller...at worst a $110.00 learning experience. I've done worse and probably will again. ;-)
10 years 9 months ago #25547

www.adcofirearms.com

See the "shop services" tab, you may have to send them an e-mail or call
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 9 months ago #25549

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!