Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Moly coated bullets

• Thank you received: 547

Moly coated bullets was created by Siscowet

I read all the previous posts on Moly coated bullets, and my question is this: I got a ridiculous deal on some cartridges loaded with Speer 168 gr Moly coated bullets. Question: Will it affect my rifle if I shoot say, 5 boxes of them, than go back to copper jacketed bullets?
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Siscowet.
11 years 2 months ago #16829

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Moly coated bullets

You'll be fine. Scrubbing the moly out when you are done with it will be a bit of a chore.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 2 months ago #16832

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Moly coated bullets

Why scrub it out?????? Why not leave in????
11 years 2 months ago #16836

The first reason is that moly is prone to hydrate and the Disulphide in the Molybdenum Disulphide will become acidic. It's a weak acid but remember it is down in the pores and cracks where it can do the most damage. This is one reason why it has fallen from favor. Granted, I've only ever seen one instance first hand of moly corrosion. It was on a buddy's stainless R700 barrel with a muzzle brake. The moly had caked up in the gap between the brake and muzzle crown and once removed, the perfect 11deg crown looked like it was etched damascus with severe pitting. This was over the course of 4ish years and a couple thousand rounds. Fortunately, a re-crown saved it. After we did a follow up about how this happened, it was revealed that it was the moly, left in there for so long soaking up moisture. Had he bothered to remove the muzzle device and wipe it off once in a while it would not have happened. But you know hunters with custom rifles and beautifully blended machine work so you can't even tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins shudder at the thought of removing anything like that.

Secondly, moly is a PITA to keep up with. Once you go moly you can only shoot moly. Running naked bullets down a moly bore will eventually lead to a moly/ cooper build up that is akin to hard plating your bore with fouling. You cant even use copper bore brushes to clean with because copper residue from the brush will stick to whatever moly didn't get scraped off and leave you with an uneven bore, unless you completely remove the moly and start over each time you clean.
I went down this road and lost interest pretty quick when my groups didn't show results proportionate to the effort.

It is possible to safely shoot moly, If you are willing to keep up with it, but I no longer recommend its use. Latigo/zfk55 posted an excellent thread on using hbn coating.....and now I can't seem to find it. This hbn stuff is one of those things I really want to try for extending barrel life. finding a source for hbn is proving the hard part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy, VTIT, Siscowet
11 years 2 months ago #16846

thanks and this is a must read and file as this pops up from time to time!!!
11 years 2 months ago #16847

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Moly coated bullets

Hbn sources I know of;

www.ebay.com/itm/Reloading-bullet-tumbli...&hash=item27c2396c02
www.ebay.com/itm/Reloading-bullet-tumbli...&hash=item2a256f4b7c
I use it in my barrels and have noticed a little easier clean-up. I don't have a chrono to check speed and haven't loaded any coated bullets yet.....
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by jtallen83.
11 years 2 months ago #16849

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Moly coated bullets

13fcolt:
That is good information. I was looking at recommendations on the Armalite site and they recommend moly ammo in one of their technotes . I have never used it and was almost going to buy some. Thanks for the warning.
11 years 2 months ago #16850

What is the Born Nitride used for?
11 years 2 months ago #16853

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Moly coated bullets

This is why it is probably still in stock at $16.59 a box. There is nothing else around at that price right now.
11 years 2 months ago #16856

It's a dry lube that does not cause a galvanic reaction like graphite can, does not hydrate and conducts heat very well making it useful for high temp 1000c applications. Getting it to stick to bullets is a bit more involved than moly but not much and you don't have worry about getting moly smears on your fingers and then everything else.

Thanks for the heads up JT, looks like I will be getting my hands on the stuff at last.
11 years 2 months ago #16858

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!