Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

• Thank you received: 12

Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine? was created by crux

I've been looking around for an optic that can offer quick close in sighting but still use some of the potential of the .308 round at range. I had considered an EOTech with 4x flip magnifier, but have learned that they've stopped production on the 4x due to producability problems.

I recently spotted the Trijicon TA55A ACOG

www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-ta55a-acog...-308-riflescope.html

The only criticism I've heard is that it's more for a machine gun, adding another 1/2 pound on top of the base weight of a 3.5 ACOG. Anyone have any thoughts about it (Other than it's expensive :)) Would anyone go with a 3.5x35 instead?
15 years 2 weeks ago #1302

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by TN Longhunter on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

I have one on my Super SASS. I went to get a Nightforce 5X15 but the store had just gotten in some ACOGS so after trying both on the rifle I went with the ACOG. Had buyers remorse for a while but knew the store would take it back so I went to the range and love it. Once sighted in I was able to get 100% hits on a 10" gong at 300 yards from prone position. I have since replaced the base with a quick detatch mount and need to resight in. No photos on this computer so those will have to wait.
15 years 1 week ago #1313

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

You might look at Trijicon's 1-4x24 Accupoint scope. I looked at one yesterday and it was pretty awsome. It had a #4 german retical with an illuminated dot at the center and was very clear and bright. At 1x it can be used both eyes open like my Eotech, but dial it up to 4x and it allows shooting at ranges that you couldn't with the Eo. It's making me re-think what I want to put on my carbine.
15 years 1 week ago #1314

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

I have the 35X35. I like it alot. Great targte acquisition. And its accurate enough at range for a shooter like myself. It is not a sniper or competition-type optc though. My step son who just came back fropm Iraq says it is very popular there. I got the horse shoe reticle. It is also a very rugged optic...
15 years 1 week ago #1321

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I just got one of these at the gunshow over the weekend, only mine has a green lit reticle. (TA11J308)

The glass is very clear and I look forward to getting it out to the range and using it.
14 years 11 months ago #1416

Replied by Once A Marine on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

I have the TA11H308 (3.5x35) with BAC horseshoe reticle. I like the BAC/2 eye shooting for that quick CQB'ish engagement, but the reality is most of my shooting will probably be at range on stationary targets, which it can still handle with the elevation/windage hashes. The only problem I had with it is at 100m, where you need to aim at the top of the horseshoe, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

If you don't like BAC, I'd go with the TA11J308 below. Heck, if I get a bug up my rump I might grab one of those myself if I can find a good deal, and maybe then buy a 2nd upper with a longer bbl.

Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by Once A Marine.
14 years 10 months ago #1647

Replied by Zabby on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

What about a budget that cant afford the 1300 Dollar ACOG? I might get a Colt Match Target M4 AR-15 that I want to be accurate prone, but still be accurate while moving and such. What about EOTech?
14 years 10 months ago #1656

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

An EOTech is great for CCB stuff, but not so great for precision work. However, I did win a shoot-off with an EOTech at a CCB class I took. During the class, if we did anything wrong or violated a safety rule, the instructor took a dollar from us (I only lost $1). At the end of the class, we had a shoot-off for the pot of money. There were guys with ACOG's, EOTechs, and variable optics. I was able to shoot a 5 shot 100 yard group, just under 1.5 inchs and won the money. Now with my ACOG, I can get groups well under 1".

You might look into a variable optic like the Burris Xtreme Tactical 1-4x series. I have a few friends who have these and they swear by them.
14 years 10 months ago #1657

Replied by SilveradoBlue on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

I have an Armalite AR-10(T) SCB Super SASS. Not too many of these made so I don't know if you'll find any info on them. I use the Trijicon ACOG TA11E 3.5x35 on her and LOVE it. Simple, easy, deadly accurate. Very capable for stationary and moving shooting activities. I highly recommend this ACOG for your AR-10. I have pics of my rifle in the photo gallery under complete rifles, including a close up with the ACOG.

Here are specs:

TA11E: 3.5x35 Trijicon ACOG
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by SilveradoBlue. Reason: provide photo info
14 years 10 months ago #1679

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by 1911Man on topic Re:Trijicon TA55A ACOG for the AR10 Carbine?

I have AR10 full size with ta55a acog. great scope. 300+ yd hits not a problem. Quick, great optics, stays on point of impact. Pricey, yes. Thinking about 2.5 to 10X Nightforce for full rifle and putting ta55 on my carbine.

I do like full cross-hairs for accurately leveling rifle to horizon on long shots. ta55 does not have long, horizontal cross-hair for this.
14 years 10 months ago #1680

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!