Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Nose diving

• Thank you received: 0

Nose diving was created by DC

Hey group. This is my first post and unfortunately it is due to a problem. Virtually all my 20 round mags are having a nose dive issue so bad that I cannot run more than two or three rounds before the nose of the next round runs into the front of the mag. I have run different loads with the same issue. I have talked to Armalite about the problem without any resolution. The problem is worse when the mags are full and improves with the last 5-6 rounds. The mags are Gen 2's. Any ideas?

Thanks
11 years 5 months ago #13124

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by EndofDalton on topic Nose diving

Can we see pictures? Have you tried tapping the mag back? Normally the nose we touch the mags front wall, just because of movement and all the open space its has between it, since there is no tension on nose and rear.. they have freedom of movement. But if you are talking about the noses of all the round dipping down then it is the follow, alot of the "black" GI mags for the M16 have this problem because of the cheap follows they put in them
11 years 5 months ago #13125

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Nose diving

That all your mags exhibit this same problem is unusual. I would take the rifle to my local smith and have him check the mag catch, perhaps the magazines are sitting slightly too low for the bolt to make good contact with the base of the round going into the chamber.

Did you order all those magazines from Armalite?
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13129

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Nose diving

I concur, if it is happening to all magazines it could be an issue with the weapon. The only other thing I can think of is that brand new mags will usually have a rough finish, including the follower, and can cause a lot of drag or sticking.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13134

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by DC on topic Nose diving

I sure appreciate the quick responses! I took some pics and hopefully have them attached to this post. It might be a break-in issue since the one mag I have been working the most decided to run all 20 rounds perfectly this morning. Here is some answers to the questions:
I tap the rear of the mag as I load them and have to tap the mag again to clear the nose diving issue.
The mags are new and have a fairly rough finish as you describe.
These mags came as a five pack from Armalite.
How close should the front of the mag be to the feed ramps? Sometimes the second round from a full mag will jamb just below the ramp; as shown in the first pic. The second shows the nose catching the front lip of the mag.
Thanks for all the help!
11 years 5 months ago #13167

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Nose diving

There are better minds on the technical aspects than mine on here bud but making sure you give each and every mag a solid whack to seat all of the rounds to the rear of the mag is AR-101. It was even taught in basic when I went in 25+ years ago so maybe you just need to adjust your habits a bit when loading and then again just prior to changing a mag.

It's been a while since I was Army but we were always taught to whack em a good one before inserting or you'll have feed issues.

Hopefully it will just be something simple as I have found many issues can be.
11 years 5 months ago #13172

Smacking mags to set the rounds back is fine to help loading, but after the first shot, recoil nullifies the effort as it relates to feeding issues.
I'd disassemble the mags,clean & degrease them really good and knock down the roughness on the inside of the mag body. I use a scotch brite pad folded over and just work it around. Not too much, we don't want to be stripping the finish off, just make it smooth.
While the followers are out, you can do the same to the edges.
I use eezox as a rust preventative, and a spray on automotive dry lube for the inside.
11 years 5 months ago #13177

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Nose diving

Thanks Colt. I've never had this issue but I've always whacked em though so maybe I've just been lucky.

I knew one of you gurus'd be good to take it farther than I would try to. :)
11 years 5 months ago #13182

not a guru, just a guy that's learned a few things at my own expense.
I can not stop tinkering with shit, a frequently expensive condition, sometimes revealing something of use that can be shared with others.
11 years 5 months ago #13183

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Nose diving

Not to blame the victim, but how much lube are you using on the BCG?
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13213

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!