Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The joys of a proprietary magazine.

• Thank you received: 547

The joys of a proprietary magazine. was created by Siscowet

I have just been going through my AR15 magazines to check for bent feed lips, worn springs, broken followers, etc. It is amazing the different quality found in the magazines and the large number of manufacturers of AR15 magazines. I have decided to start paying a little more, start with one manufacturer and stay with them. My point is, with AR10 Gen II mags, we have a sound, reliable product we can depend on. Definitely worth some extra money. You gentlemen who have been over to the sandbox over the last 20 some years, I think I now understand why you would put your own money down to get magazines you could depend on. There is such a huge variation in AR15 magazine quality. Thanks again for your service, by the way. :usa:
11 years 5 days ago #21540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

I agree. Mags are as important any other part of the weapon. I know we all would like to save money where we can but cutting corners on mags is as bad, or worse, than cutting corners on a barrel. The worlds best semiauto becomes the worlds worst single shot real fast when the magazine fails.
Like you, I have everything under the sun for AR15 mags but for my Armalite there are no cheapies, or range only mags, as every single one is 100%.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 days ago #21543

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

:I-agree:
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 5 days ago #21544

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Moreau on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

My Sig 716 takes Pmags, these are good aren't they? Just wanted to know before I gobble up anymore. I've heard great things about them but I wanted to know if there was a better alternative for my particular rifle.

Thanks,
Joe
11 years 5 days ago #21568

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

Yes. Pmags are good. Probably the most consistently manufactured magazine for your weapon.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moreau
11 years 5 days ago #21570

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

I have never used a PMag, as they are the other standard for DPMS Lr 308s, KAC 25's and Sig 716's. But I have heard nothing but good about them. I think Colt did a test in the sandbox with them on the 5.56 ones. Maybe he can elaborate. But Magpul makes good stuff.
11 years 5 days ago #21571

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by JaKell on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

There's a video of guys testing them against others that are metal and plastic. The run over it with the truck including a burn-out on the pMag did not harm the pmag and the others failed.

Since Colorado shutdown MagPul, get what you can. Pro-Mag sells DPMS 7.62 x 51/.308 metal magazines in 20 rd. Get some before they are outlawed or serialized. They should fit the SIG 716.

Also, JP silent spring, JP ejector spring, and Badger Tactical latch all work on the SIG716. Don't try other charging handles, they don't work.
10 years 11 months ago #22648

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

CO didn't shut down MagPul per se, but because of laws passed in that state they've decided to close their operations there and re-open in another, more second amendment-friendly state. Beretta USA and LWRCi are doing the same thing in Maryland because of similar legislation there.

So no worries about MagPul closing it's doors.

Edited to add: I just found out that HiViz Sights is leaving Colorado as well. New location TBA.
RLTW
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by LebbenB.
10 years 11 months ago #22650

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap is a motto I have tried to live by most of my life. That said history has taught me that when I tried to save a nickel the product did not work to my specs, failed before the job was finished or was unable to do the job at all.

In Texas we got a saying: Don't step over dollars to pickup pennies...
10 years 11 months ago #22654

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic The joys of a proprietary magazine.

Follow up story on the Magpul move...

www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/28...h-capacity-magazine/

Monster giveaway!
10 years 7 months ago #28776

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!