Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Tweek your Technique

• Thank you received: 216

Tweek your Technique was created by Libertarian623

A lot is said about how a bolt gun differs from a semi auto. Also a lot of talk about how a bolt gun is more accurate than a semi auto. It is true that a semi auto is harder to shoot than a bolt gun. I was giving some tips on another web site and my thoughts on the subject came together well so I thought I would put some of it down here for comment. These are my experiences and mine alone, this subject is open for debate gentlemen and ladies. A little about shooting mechanics as they pertain to semi auto's, keeping in mind that you are shooting a semi all the times and that there is a difference will go a long ways. It means you have to compensate for the a erratic recoil impulse ( erratic if not compensated for) and the extended follow through. Making sure you line up your rifle perfectly and then get in straight behind it is paramount, this is why you hear some say that a semi magnifies your flaws. Because of the loose nature of the semi rifle chassis and three stage recoil impulse if your not lined up perfect it all is detracting from your shot accuracy more so than a bolt gun. Next comes your position, keeping in good contact (bone to ground) helps in the prone, as I get behind the gun I preload the bipod in a way so that when I relax into the natural point of aim it loads the bipod. That's a lot in one sentence. Keeping in mind that once behind the gun you want to be essentially dead meat with zero muscle tension. This has to be repeated with accuracy every time you get behind that gun, ( with a semi it is the essence of shooting it well) . That the rear of the stock is supported by your squeeze bag is a given here. If you get behind the gun the same every time you are mitigating the semi propensity to magnify your flaws thereby making your shots much more accurate.
Next a little about how the follow through is different. The semi auto recoils all these loosely fitting parts differently than a ridged bolt rifle. So you have to compensate for this with extending the time before you move from behind the gun. You have to remain like a piece of dead meat behind that gun until all movement stops period. If you see a flyer with a semi this can be the likely culprit. Being hyper aware of the recoil impulse is paramount to shooting a semi well and can only come from very frequent range trips. At the end of the impulse with a bolt gun you reload and settle back in (make everything good again stance wise rebuilding your position as needed) with a semi guys don't have to do this step but need to do to get consistent. The extended recoil impulse and the obvious desire to stay firm in your position has a coupling effect that works against you. So ride out that recoil and watch your impacts then don't be afraid to move and rebuild your position. Noticing these minor changes in your position after the shot can only come from frequent shooting.
I have to take a break and go over what I am writing , so more later, hope this helps so far. Will post more later
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Lizardette
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 5 months ago #43095

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Tweek your Technique

To summarize some of the above.
By reproducing each facet of your shot set up accurately from shot to shot you can mitigate most of the inaccuracies attributed to the semi auto chassis. And through very frequent shooting you will become hyper aware of the recoil impulse and be able to drive your platform accurately, this is the key to really getting in the zone with your rifle.
I would also mention that while the consistent11 trigger pull is important to both platforms it can also produce a similar effect of magnifying a flaw. Whether it comes from a trigger press that's not straight back each and every time or a grip that is torqueing the rifle. Hope this is helpful. I will try to spend some more time with these thoughts to get them to flow a little better. Thanks for listening
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Lizardette
9 years 5 months ago #43096

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Tweek your Technique

Well said Lib. In a way, you can be more active with a bolt gun as long as you settle into the same position and cheek weld before the next shot. With a semi auto I find I need to conciously still my body activity to the point that I am as close to being completely Inert as possible.And this includes maintaining that stillness a fraction of a second longer than with a bolt gun. After you are done with this I would like your permission to copy this.
9 years 5 months ago #43097

Thanks Sisco, it will end up being a collaborative work so copy anything you would like. And your thoughts and analogies are needed and will make the final cut that much better.
9 years 5 months ago #43098

Your title gave me the mischevious thought to start a new topic" Twerk your technique" but somehow I don't know if that position would improve my group size. :whistle:
9 years 5 months ago #43099

Who knows you might bring a whole new demographic to AR10t.
9 years 5 months ago #43100

As I have read over the material several times now it reminds me of system harmonics. With that though I am sure that if given the right apparatus and testing all the various torques and holding pressures and trigger lock times. One could find a node in the data ( perfect alignment of all the inputs) that would give the best accuracy. At this point I am just going to stop thinking for the evening and open a bottle of scotch. Peace gentlemen.
9 years 5 months ago #43101

What brand? I have been on an Irish Whiskey kick myself. Actually I think you hit on something with the harmonics, but you could expand that to the fact that natural harmonics and wave length patterns have an impact on accuracy not only in the effect caused by recoil, but also the effect on our nervous system. I think a lot of the training biathaletes go through, and snipers as well, to control their breathing and heart beats, etc., can be broken down to reducing internal harmonics to reduce extraneous, unnecessary movement during the act of pulling the trigger. Sometimes I think the Buddhist concept of attaining inner harmony could be used to improve our abilities as marksmen.
Whoa, got a little deep here. But you started a promising thread here Lib.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 5 months ago #43103

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Tweek your Technique

I'm glad to see this topic being covered. I've maintained for a very long time that there is no reason a semi-auto *can't* be as accurate as a bolt action rifle. I'd like to share some of my thoughts, and see if any of them resonate.

A big part of it is technique, but some guns are less tolerant than others. The HK 91 comes to mind as one that requires much more vigilance and precision in technique. AR's are easier to shoot well, in my opinion, in part because they are more ergonomic. Also, their recoil impulse goes straight back into your shoulder. If the bore line is above your shoulder, things get more complicated.

Personally, I'd say that normally you should be leaning into the rifle a bit. That is, acting like a sort of spring-board, more-so than a lump of clay. Your position needs to allow you to "reset" automatically. That is, if someone were to tap straight back on the muzzle of your rifle with a rubber mallet, as soon as that mallet looses contact the muzzle is moving forward and stopping at (near) exactly the same point. The recoil of a full sized rifle cartridge is always going to cause you to move. It should always cause you to move in exactly the same way and to the same place.

I'm not going to tackle trigger control right now.

I am going to mention breath control though. A lot of people talk about making use of 'the respiratory pause.' I have never been able to make it work for me though, and I think there are others as well with the same problem. My technique ties in sight picture and trigger control like this:

My basic premise is that it's impossible to eliminate all movement, so it's better to make use of it. Dad told me once regarding off-hand, that if you could keep the sights making a side-ways figure-eight and start your trigger manipulation when the sights were furthest out, the shot would break when they were back in the center. I rejected figure eights, but ran with the constant movement.

I let my sight picture, whether iron or optical, move vertically over the target as I breathe. In particular, my sight picture is at its lowest -the bottom of the target - when I've finished my in-breath. At that point, I take up the first stage on my trigger. Then, as I'm breathing out the sight picture climbs the target as I steadily apply more pressure to the trigger - without trying to make the sights stop at the center of the target. It doesn't take long to figure out the timing, to make the shot break when the sights are over the bull. As a side note, my martial arts training emphasized projecting force in time with exhalation. So, it helps me both in driving the muzzle toward the target and the mental aspect of sending lead down range.

That technique results in a lot of X's, with bolt guns and semi-autos ...for me. There are a lot of people it just doesn't work for. It's also not the same with a single stage trigger, or a lightweight bench rest type trigger.

That's all for now, but I do have more if you're interested. I'd love help. :)

PS: I have some thoughts on mechanical accuracy improvements in semi-autos of most types as well. If those would be more appropriate elsewhere, that's not a problem at all. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 5 months ago #43105

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Tweek your Technique

I have much the same experience with breath and trigger control. I like to shoot fast and never had much luck trying to fire on the pause in my breath. I'm much more successful when I use the movement and squeeze when the sight picture is right. It takes a little more practice to get it down pat but the technique allows faster follow up shots for me.
:nicethread:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lizardette
9 years 5 months ago #43107

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!