Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

• Thank you received: 132

Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10 was created by mlotziii

Yesterday I was at the local gun shop (lgs) picking up some ammo when they asked if I wanted to see a CA-10. I responded, "If you've got one, sure!"

Out came a brand new CA-10 from Christensen Arms. If you're not familiar with Christensen Arms they pioneered carbon fiber rifle barrels. Dr. Christensen is an expert in the field of Carbon Fiber and applied his expertise to firearms manufacturing. The two paired exceptionally well and their showcase of exquisite firearms tells the story.

The CA-10 felt to be about half the weight of an AR-10 with the handguard and barrel being manufactured from carbon fiber.

It was a pleasure just to hold it. I can't imagine what it is like to shoot.
10 years 11 months ago #23279

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

What was the price tag?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 11 months ago #23281

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

Well I went to the website www.christensenarms.com and was quite disappointed...I was foaming at the mouth to read and see this technology, bbls made out of carbon fiber, WOW. Could not find a single word, in fact it was barley discussed other than they have it.

I want to know about how they groove the bbl, how do they deal with the fibers, the friction or is the bbl sleeved, etc etc...
10 years 11 months ago #23284

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

Barrels are not made out of carbon fiber.
There is a LOT of material removed from the barrel, more than a light weight profile.
The the barrel is covered with the carbon fiber, bringing it back to a rather large diameter
and adding a crap load of stiffness.

Think of it an a light weight barrel profile, that ends up looking like a carbon fiber bull barrel.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 11 months ago #23285

Kinda what I thought, but the site is woefully lacking in tech data for a engineer like myself. Lots of refs to using Titanium and carbide etc but little data about advantages, or the tech side. I love tech, its been my life and guys like me do buy unless they are sold on it, did not see any selling going on...
10 years 11 months ago #23287

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

Christensen arms is very hard to deal with. One minute they act like they value the customer, the next you are an unwashed heathen unworthy of basking in the glory of having received the blessed privileged of giving them money.
Short version, I contacted them back in '98 about building a carbon AR10 barrel. After several promising discussions, only to have them cease all contact. It took months for them to break, answer the phone, only to tell me they don't sell barrels.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 11 months ago #23288

NOT cheap by any means:

www.eurooptic.com/christensen-arms.aspx
10 years 11 months ago #23289

Here is the real deal on them:

"I own two Christensen Arms rifles and wouldn't use any other rifle. My buddies also hunt with Christensen's Carbon barreled guns and none have had issues over the past four years that they've owned them. What's overrated about them? The fact that they're lighter, more durable, and have better accuracy then any gun I've owned over the past 35 years of hunting? Are they overrated because I've packed them on several sheep hunts through all kinds of weather conditions and plugged each of my rams first shot, cold bore with neither being less than 500 yards?
Or maybe they're overrated because after winning a long range shooting competition with my Christensen recently I had more competitors after the contest asking to shoot it because they were flabbergasted at the accuracy after taking shot after shot after shot..."

Another guy on a forum is shooting 1/4 MOA with his.

Bet if I keep searching I will come across a guy who says because its so light he is now able to walk on water.
10 years 11 months ago #23290

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

The price at this dealer was $4,000

I don't think it is worth that much ... maybe a $600 premium over another manufacturer. Interestingly, there is only a 1 MOA guarantee.

I have to agree OleCowboy -- I too was looking for the technical info. They are very close-lipped about it. Also, they have a few different lines of business such as their magazine and hunting trips.

For me the jury is still out but it was definitely a fraction of the weight of a heavy barrel rifle.
10 years 11 months ago #23293

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Yesterday I got to hold a Christensen Arms CA-10

The .22 crowd has been on this composite barrel stuff for some time;www.brownells.com/items/carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels.aspx

VOLQUARTSEN is 30 miles down the road from me. They've grown pretty big over the last decade or so but they had always been a "better engineering" oriented family. I'm betting they found an accuracy advantage or at least a neutral effect in the 10-22.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 11 months ago #23294

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!