Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What I will do to get back to the range.

• Thank you received: 547

What I will do to get back to the range. was created by Siscowet

Yesterday I went up in my garage attic and dug out 500 62 gr 5.56 bullets I bought twenty years ago, along with 550 once fired 5.56/.223 brass I have been collecting every time I took my AR15 to the range. Saturday I went to a small gunshow in a snowstorm, and found 1,000 small rifle primers for sale. Today I drove 150 miles round trip in snow to get some powder- Reloader 15 that's all they had. Found a guy with a press who will size them with a small base die and reload them for a fair price. Looks like my AR 15 is in business for this summer! :thumbs:
11 years 1 month ago #18193

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

I wish, OH how I wish I was set up for reloading Sisco. Gonna be some time before I can even consider it and although I can learn pretty much anything by reading, good advice and trial and error, I'm gonna want some hands-on with someone who's good at it in my area and right now I just don't know anyone.

Maybe I'll get a chance to meet a few this summer though since I will hopefully be able to get to the range shooting a bit more.

Glad things are looking up for your season...
11 years 1 month ago #18195

Replied by Siscowet on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

I sold all my equipment years ago and boy do I regret it now. I am just lucky to get the components and find someone I trust to do it right. My LGS guy figures it will be 2015 before we are anywhere close to normal, so welcome to the new normal, I guess. I am looking at ammo I would have turned my nose up at six months ago. Actually I am guessing the sequester and draw down in Afghanistan may help the situation, we will see. Until then, happy hunting!
11 years 1 month ago #18197

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

150 miles for powder...Now THAT'S dedication to the craft. Be sure to tell your re-loader the specs of your AR15 - barrel length, twist rate, and type of chamber. It'll help him develop a load for your rifle. Also ask him if he uses a crimp die to crimp the bullet to the case neck. It'll help with preventing bullet set back as well as aid in feeding.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #18228

Already talked to him, thanks. He's a competition distance shooter that reloads for competition and an ex Marine armorer, so he knows his stuff. I will just leave the rifle with him and let him try it out. It's a pre ban Colt AR15A2 HBAR match 20 in barrel. Plus I have an Oly 16" Carbine which I will leave as well. HBAR 1 in 7 chrome lined, Oly 1 in 9 not chrome lined.
Want it optimized for accuracy for HBAR, Oly is for shorter distances, plinking and reaction exercises less worried about pinpoint accuracy with that one.
11 years 1 month ago #18237

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

62 gr bullets will work fine out of both of those twists. Ya might wanna look at 75-77 gr OTM (Open Tip Match) bullets for that HBAR to get max accuracy out of it. Sierra MatchKings and Hornady 75 gr HPBTs have given me good to great results.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 1 month ago #18239

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

Dadgummit man.that is for sure a load of dedication.does`nt seem too far down the road a trip like that`ll be out of desperation.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
11 years 1 month ago #18266

Where I live we are already there. This is the only way to get economical 5.56/223 ammo. 308 isn't far behind. :banghead:
11 years 1 month ago #18271

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

OH Yeah,I could see this coming from five years ago.
I tried to stockpile but,being too broke I could`nt seem to get it together enough to have an,even comfortable supply on hand.It will get worser too.as more and more legislations is passed.
I am,and will be stockpiling black powder and lead too.sling shots and rocks`ll be effective with a little practice,after all,look what it did to Goliath.
God,I love that story. :drool: :dual:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
11 years 1 month ago #18273

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic What I will do to get back to the range.

Darn good point,....I do need a bit more black powder

While it's not an AR10, trigger time is important to me.
BCM lower with a dedicated .22lr upper

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by faawrenchbndr.
11 years 1 month ago #18275

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!