Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

powder

• Thank you received: 0

powder was created by Rusty Boldt

Hey everyone just wondering what your thoughts are on imr 3031 powder i using with 168 hornady match bthp with armalite ar 10 carbine
12 years 8 months ago #8416

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by chancenickel on topic Re: powder

anyone tried CFE223 powder?
11 years 8 months ago #12112

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: powder

In our rather long load data experiences, two proven powder staples for the AR10 have been 4064 and RE15, with RE15 performing best ove a wide temp renge. In the past 30 years and the AR10s I doubt there's a pwder we haven't worked with, but........ as always..... there's always more ways to skin a cat.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 8 months ago #12129

Replied by Dan on topic Re: powder

Re15? 4064? I'm new so bear with me. I have yet to buy powder or bullets. Do these powders have a brand name or is that the brand name.
11 years 3 months ago #15920

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: powder

I'll second the Reloader 15. It's good stuff. I've been wanting to try out AR-COMP, which is a "refined" Reloader 15. Both of these come from Alliant

linky
www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/ar_comp.aspx
bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/03/new...nt-details-revealed/
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by 13fcolt.
11 years 3 months ago #15921

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: powder

4064 is an IMR powder.

I've read a couple of interesting articles on CFE223. When my LGS gets some in, I might have to pick up a pound and give it a try.
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15952

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Re: powder

I have GOT to learn some of these hip acronyms so I can sound cool like you guys...

I'm so dumb with this stuff and it takes me longer to figure out all the damn letters and what they mean than it does to change the oil in my wife's SUV... :laugh:

LebbenB and Colt are like code masters and I spend half of my time on this site checking my notes to figure out what the hell they're talking about... :)
11 years 3 months ago #15953

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: powder

If you'd ever start rolling your own, you'd pick up on all this real quick. Making ammo aint a secret, if you follow the load manuals and work up, there really isn't that much to ask.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #15954

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Re: powder

Rolling my own? I gave that up years ago dude. But hey, if you think it'll help... :)

11 years 3 months ago #15955

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Re: powder

I've been using CFE223 for .223/556 for a while now. About 1500 rounds so far. I love it. It seems pretty consistent and you can't double charge a .223 case which is huge if you are just beginning. I just started working out a .308 round with it. One thing I noticed is I don't think I'll get anywhere near the max. I am using a Sierra MatchKing 168gr bullet and started at the minimum of 46.6g according to Hodgdon. I got up to around 48.5g (max is 49.0gr) and I noticed the primer flattening out. No mushrooming around the firing pin but I think that is max for what I found so far. I usually test in my bolt rifle (Remington 700 SPS 20" barrel) before working up for the AR10.

It seems to shoot pretty clean and does keep the copper down in the .223. I use Varget for most of my other loads because it is almost the only thing available around here. I may put CFE 223 in the rotation and do some more research once it warms up. Consistency seems good with the same variables of bullet, brass weight, trim length, and COL but this is just seat of the pants/shoulder feel and experience with .223. Group size seems pretty good too. I am only shooting out to 100 yds but getting about the same grouping (1" or so depending on the coffee intake), again this is with my Remmy 700.

I haven't used it with a chrono with .308 stuff yet because it has been so cold her but I know it is fast with the .223 I have been loading (24.0gr CFE and a Hornady 75gr. gave me an average of 2449fps). Thing that is weird is that I haven't seen any overpressure signs with the .223 stuff yet and I am at almost max with my favorite load.

It does meter well but I think being a spherical powder it might be more temperature sensitive. It is really fine powder but I have an RCBS Charge Master and usually do batches of 50 at a time and it meters great. With Varget I usually throw 62-65 charges to get 50, with CFE I throw about 55 to get 50. I usually check every 5 rounds or so against a beam scale. BTW this is the best investment I have made in loading equipment. I don't load 1000 rounds at a time but this saves me a lot of time vs hand trickling into a beam scale.
11 years 3 months ago #15959

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!