Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

War Belts

• Thank you received: 188

War Belts was created by LebbenB

I like gear. No, let me amend that - I LOVE gear. One of the big downsides to retiring was I no longer had a viable excuse to buy the latest and greatest pouch, plate carrier, or chest rig. But when I retired, I no longer had a reason to buy that stuff because quite simply, I didn't need it.

Til now. I was jealously looking at one of my bro's battle rattle recently and one of his pieces was a wide padded belt covered in MOLLE webbing. He had a few pouches on it - mag pouches, IFAK, light and a knife. I was intrigued by it and asked him what it was for. "That? That's my war belt. I use it to store extra stuff so I don't have to run sub-loads on my thighs. Let's me move better."

That got my wheels turning. I spent most of my career using an LCE - Pistol belt, suspenders, pouches attached by ALICE clips. The war belt reminded me of that set up, just updated with MOLLE gear. And I could justify setting one up. I don't need a plate carrier or chest rig because I don't wear body armor any more. But I do need something to stash a few rifle and pistol mags, a light and a holster for when I go to the range, attend a class or teach a class. It's also nice to have something handy to grab up for those late night social situations.

MY WAR BELT

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The belt is a two piece affair from ATS tactical. It consists of an outer padded section covered with MOLLE webbing and an inner belt with a fastex buckle. Both pieces are separate, so if you have a rigger's belt all you need is the outer section.

Here's a look at the inner belt. The inner belt is covered with hook tape so it'll attach securely inside the outer belt.

The holster is from Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) and is completely adjustable so it can accept a pistol with or without an attached light. I mounted it a bit lower at the second row of MOLLE webbing to put it in a more natural position for my hand.

This is a 5.56 two mag shingle from TAG. It has elastic tabs that are easy on/easy off and do a good job of keeping the mag secure inside the pouch. Mags, both aluminium and polymer, fit easily without a lot of slop. The pouch also comes with outer slots that'll accept single stack pistol mags from pistols like the 1911 or Sig 220.

Here's a close look at the TAG two pistol mag pouch. It'll easily take most any double stack 9mm/.40/.45 ACP mag. The mags are secured by hook and pile tape flaps.

I'm right handed, so I tend to load the left side of the belt in order to keep my right side free for gun handling. I also tend to keep the rear center of the belt clear so I can use a Camelback and not have it get caught by a pouch or other piece of kit.

I like to wear the belt a little snug so it doesn't move around a lot.

I've used it a couple of times out on the range to tweak my pouch placement and I gotta say it's pretty convenient to have what you need on you (Again) without the encumberance and heat of a rack system or IBA.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Sharkey
11 years 2 months ago #16170

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic War Belts

Definitely cool goodies Leb.
11 years 2 months ago #16173

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic War Belts

Leb, good idea, I am going to look it up. I struggle with the same issue at the range. Do you teach military and police courses, or do you teach civilian shooters as well? In the future I might be in the market for a course on both basic and advanced marksmanship for both my son and I.
11 years 2 months ago #16175

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic War Belts

Outstanding!
I've been trying to justify a war belt for some time. What I could use a class on is setting up my gear. One of my shortcomings with gear is that I almost always overload. I start out simple enough, then add one more pouch for this or that and before I know it I'm pulling it all apart because I went too far. I take the old "have it and not need it" way too far. When I don't over do it, I still re-arrange stuff constantly. It's like I can never get it just right.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #16185

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic War Belts

Looks like maybe my old LCE suspenders may be adaptable to this war belt?
I've got a nice blackhawk instructors belt with a thigh rig but I'm having issues wearing the belt tight enough due to several past abdominal surgeries. I've gotten one of those new fangled molle vests but having never trained with the rig it just does't feel right for me. A belt type setup is bound to jar more of those old muscle memories!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 2 months ago #16186

Replied by LebbenB on topic War Belts

I think it would. The belt comes with four plastic rings that would accept the meat hooks from LCE suspenders.
I get called from time to time by the area PDs to instruct. Whenever my hometown PD and county Sherriff's Dept. has a qual coming up, they call me to give them refresher training. I also teach at Sill from time to time. As far as private citizens go, when Bubba J gets hisself one'a them there black rifles I'm always more than happy to show him/them basic firing techniques and maintenance.
Join the club, FO. I constantly tweak, change and re-arrange my set-up. Such is life for a gear whore.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by LebbenB.
11 years 2 months ago #16194

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic War Belts

I'll take one in tan please:) I think I will look for one at the gun show in SA this weekned. Good ideal
11 years 2 months ago #16224

Replied by LebbenB on topic War Belts

The colors I've seen them in are tan(Flat Dark Earth), Black, Ranger Green, and Coyote Brown. For Camo patterns, I've seen MultiCam, ACU and Marpat. I'm not not one to pimp one company over another, but the folks that run ATS Tactical are pretty squared away as is TAG. Take a look at their websites, they probably have what you want, if the gun show turns out to be a dry hole.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #16233

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic War Belts

good to know I like to compare prices so that work well also for those of us in Texas near SA there are a couple of good Tactical stores up there with good prices.

I hate to be copy cat but that is a good ideall you had there and is what I have been trying figure out for myself. Thanks for the help
11 years 2 months ago #16237

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic War Belts

I believe Optics Planet is a dealer for both ATS and TAG gear. I have had excellent results with them as well. Also great for scopes.
CORRECTION: They only carry TAG not ATS.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Siscowet. Reason: Error
11 years 2 months ago #16238

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!