Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

NightForce. Any others I should consider?

• Thank you received: 41

NightForce. Any others I should consider? was created by Charlie

We got another 10BNMF and an Armalite 10805010 "ARMALITE 30MM SCOPE MOUNT ASSEMBLY, HIGH" to go on it.

The 10805010 mount will accommodate up to 56 mm objectives, so I'm considering a NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS. The zero-stop option is interesting, as are the available reticles, and I want something more or less like that scope.

EDIT: Armalite Tech Note 92 says this mount will accommodate up to a 60 mm objective

Leupold has some interesting scopes as well, but I'm not familiar with their line. Is there something I should consider before getting the NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS?

Our other two 10s (an A4BF and an NMFA) have Bushnell Elite 6500s on them. The 6500 is a good scope, but I want to go beyond its capabilities.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by Charlie.
12 years 3 weeks ago #11154

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

The zero stop, Mil adjustments, and first focal plane. I got my NXS just before they offered these options I wish like hell I had waited.

I could live without the FFP, I could be okay without the zero stop, but having MOA turrets on a MIL rec. is a PITA. It will be $350 plus shipping to get the MIL turrets as an upgrade. I love the MLR rec. and the MLR 2.0 on the FFP NXS looks even better.

Might try looking at USoptics. I can't play with the scope configuration without going over 3k, but you might have better luck.
Excellent scopes from USO can be had for not much more than an NXS. I've seen SN-3's and ST-10's in the 1600-1900 range at midway and optics planet, but options and features are limited to whats in stock. Worth shopping around.

I have only second hand knowledge about burris black diamond, might be worth a look. I only know of a couple folks using them.

S&B glass is nice, but I'd go to USO for the price point.

Leupy is good to go for quality, but the options still seem to be slim. The Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm, or Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm ER/T Front Focal, would be the closest to the NXS that I am aware of. I'm not sure if you have the option of getting MIL turrets. I've enjoyed leupolds for many years, but after getting my first NXS and running them side by side, I'm not planning on going back.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 weeks ago #11164

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by dpmsfulton on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

Check out IOR Valdada. Not to well known, but a very high quality scope made in Romania. I own a Nightforce and a Valdada. The glass is much better on the valdada, and they have a great tactical line with a wide range of scopes and reticles. US Optics is the best, but VERY pricy, Nightforce, Valdada, S&B and Leica are the next tier and then Leupold, Burris, etc., imo.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11178

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

I had forgotten about IOR. They use a 35mm main tube on several scopes, which should provide better light transmission with larger internal lenses. I have only looked through them, having no real world first hand experience, so I'll have to defer to what I have heard. I have not heard any complaints or regrets from those that have them.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11181

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by AR260rem on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

+1 on what everyone else has said.

I love my Nightforce NXS 12 x 42, I will certainly consider buying another NXS when I get another rifle that warrants one. I have 3 Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical scopes (2) 4.5 x 30 and (1) 2.5 x 16 and they work very well at a good price. One is on my Bushmaster BA-50 50BMG. But those are a couple of steps down from the Nightforce, especially at max power. Bushnell has an Elite HDMR tactical scope that seems excellent, 34mm tube, FFP, 1/10 mil adj, 3.5 x 21 power, reviews on several forums seem very positive as well. I do not have one, although it would be on the list to look at for my next scope.

I've only heard about the IOR and US optics scopes but many say they are the best.

The Leupold MK 4 LRT also gets good reviews but are a step down from the NXS. Is it worth $500 or more than the 6500 you are using? I can't say for sure since I have only looked through them a couple of times but for me it wasn't. Went straight from the 6500 to the NXS. Not knocking it though, the amount of people using one speaks for itself, but if you are already using a 6500 then I think you will want to step up to something a bit higher.

The Burris Black Diamond seems like a lot of scope for the price, might be worth a look.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11216

I forgot to mention that I was in you're exact same shoes as you about a year ago. New AR-10T 260, Armalite 30mm mount (free from Armalite since I had to wait an extra 3 months than they estimated for the rifle, kudos to Armalite), what scope to buy? Already had 3 6500 tactical scopes and liked them and still do. Looked at several that had been mentioned, went with the Nightforce NXS 12x42 and never looked back. IMHO the price vs quality was the best with the Nightforce.

The power might be a little too much for a 260, but not an issue for me when target shooting, just turn it down a bit if I want :)
12 years 2 weeks ago #11219

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

That's a whole lot of good info, and I appreciate it.

USO is above my pay grade. I checked Valida scopes at Midway, but I think I painted myself into a corner with the 30mm Armalite mount. I'm going to go with the Nightforce NXS (thanks 13fcolt for the suggestions on the options) cause I played with one at the range a while ago. It impressed me some.

It'll be a couple of months before I make the purchase (gotta save up some clams), but I'll report back when I get it mounted and zeroed.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 2 weeks ago #11221

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

I'm using a bushnell elite in the 4000 something model. Not really for the range your looking at but everyone that has used it has been impressed. I put it on a burris quick detach mount and it just keeps hitting the same spot. I've been through near 500 rounds and had it on and off at least a dozen times now. Even dropped it on the concrete floor :pinch:, couldn't find a mark on it and it didn't change a thing :) . I think maybe Bushnell is stepping up to compete with the big boys, give them a look, you can spend the extra on ammo!
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 2 weeks ago #11222

I have to agree with jtallen83, on the fact that Bushnell has stepped up big time. A lot of people bash them and think it is a cheap or crappy scope but that is not the case anymore. The price on the 4200/6500 is unbeatable for the quality you get. If you shop around one can be had for $600-800. The power range is also very wide which is great. I have one on a 300 Rem Ultra Mag that another other on a 50 BMG. The 300's scope originally resided on a 375 Rem Ultra Mag that actually broke the rear lens on a cheap BSA scope. They did quickly replace it quickly though. All are punishing to scopes and none of the 6500s have had any issues.

I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a mid level scope and IMHO consider them of similar quality to the Leupold MK4 at a cheaper price.
12 years 2 weeks ago #11225

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: NightForce. Any others I should consider?

Got my Bushnell new in the box on ebay for $280. It took over a month to win one at that price but it was worth the wait.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 2 weeks ago #11228

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!