Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

• Thank you received: 0

Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS was created by leoniru

I finally 'pulled the trigger' on buying an AR 10 --- in no small part due to the recent election.
It should be here in about a week or so. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I ain't sayin' I got it until it's in my hands even though I was told I got it and it's paid in full.
I own and shoot (not as much as I'd like to) many different firearms and reload for most.
This will be my first AR-style firearm. Never even fired one before!
I can't seem to find much specific info on what (or who's) optical sighting systems are most popular for this type of rifle, or what the best way is to mount them.
Leupold MK4 and Nightforce scopes seem to enjoy the most references wrt longrange applications, but I don't want to end-up OVERscoping the gun. I own many Leupold scopes, several Nikons a Burris, a Redfield, and a Kahles. No problems ever with any of them but I would rate the Leupolds (vari-x IIs and IIIs) behind the Kahles and Nikons in brightness and resolution. Never looked through or at a Nightforce -- are they good glass?
I'm guessing that 20x-25x would definitely be the max on the upper end of the power range, and even that might be more than needed. I have a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 x 50 (duplex) sitting in my safe. Would I be stupid to not use it?

What is the practial range of this type of rifle with a well-matched sighting system and meticulously-assembled handloads? (Let's pretend that my abilities are up to the rifle's.)

Anyone know of some 'starting' load recipes for this rig or where to find them? What style and weight of bullets work well --- by that I mean not only accuracy but reliable feeding? What powders? Should I just start with the usual reloading manual recipes from the various bullet and powder manufacturer's?
I'm hoping that someone on this forum must reload for his AR 10, and can save me a lot of trial and error in finding a good load recipe or two.

Thanx,

leoniru
15 years 5 months ago #470

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

The Leupold would be a excellent choice in my estimation. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything more expensive like a Nightforce without at least having a looksee through one even though everybody and their mother that has a Nightforce swears by them.

As far as maximum range in your 20" barrel I would say 1000 yards with the right load and you do your part of course. Just work your way out to that range over time.

Sorry, but I'm no help with your handload requests. I always try to find a good factory match load for a particular rifle and then stock up on it.

Good shooting and welcome to the board!
15 years 5 months ago #472

Replied by leoniru on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

AZMM;
Thanx for the reply and welcome. I'll most likely mount - using Armalite's one piece setup - the Leupold (Vari-x III 4.5-14 x 50) as soon as I receive the rifle, just so I can begin working-up a load --- that is IF I can find brass and primers. WOW, just try to find .308 reloading components (or loaded ammo) these days!!!
The 1,000 yd. distance is what I was figuring myself, but as I again have no prior experience with this type of system, I appealed to folks more 'in-the-know'.
I'm fortunate enough to have access to an area where I can set-up and shoot as far as
a mile or more though I realize this endeavor will be in ranges far less than that. Ya never know, I might end up with a .50 cal. somethin' or other as well!

leoniru
15 years 5 months ago #473

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

I second the leupold and say the VXIII you have in your safe would be perfect to start out with. Be careful when comparing scopes because a detail like a 30mm tube vs a 1in tube could be why you're not experiencing the brightness. My VXIII collects so much light that I have found it extends the available daylight for hunting.
15 years 5 months ago #474

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

Gents,

I'm using a LaRue QD mount on my AR10. It's rugged and allows to the scope to be taken off and replaced with a red dot for close work.
If you're talking a pure accuracy rifle AND 1,000 yards you'll want a solid mount, not a QD model. I'd also recommend you get a mount with a 20 MOA cant built into it. This will ensure you have enough elevation to reach 1,000 yards and will also mean you are using the mid points of the scope adjustment range. Much more conducive to repeatability and accuracy.
As for ammo, you'll need a load that stays supersonic to 1,000 yards. For most handloaders that's a 175 gr SMK, match brass, 44 to 45 gr. of Varget, Federal 210 match primer, and an OAL of 2.800". Even then that load may not be supersonic to 1,000 yards...it will be dependent on barrel lenth, as well. I doubt you'll do it with anything shorter than a 24" tube. You won't know until you try.
I'd consider the AR-10 a 600 yard gun and leave it at that...it will take care of 99% of your needs.
As for optics...I've never heard a complaint about Nightforce, if you can afford them. Luppies are good, but the adjustments can wear with time. Great company decided high grade polymer was good enough for the design, but they wear and give a slightly "mushy" feel. I've had no real problem with mine, but it doesn't get the use some do...
If you can afford it go Schmidt & Bender and don't look back.
If you can get some real issue M118LR I'd give it a whirl. It should do what you want.
Good luck and keep us posted about your adventure.

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #482

mlotziii;

I was comparing same diameter tubes -- all one inchers -- when I commented on resolution of the various scopes that I have. I noticed there's quite a difference between Leupold VXIIs and VXIIIs as well.
I agree that my larger diameter objective lens scopes do extend shooting 'light' by perhaps 15 - 20 mins. or so.

leoniru
15 years 5 months ago #484

weshowe;

Do you know of any specific mount manufacturers that produce one with the 20 MOA or so of built-in elevation?

Also, about how long does it usually take you to remove and replace a sighting system with the LaRue QD mount?

Thanx for the load data -- should save me some powder.

leoniru
15 years 5 months ago #485

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

A good mount discussion is just the thing this board needs in my estimation. I will let those with more experience and knowledge with AR-10 mounts take over in that department, however. Perhaps a new thread is order to keep the info more easily accessible to members and guests?

One thing I would like to add before closing though is the fact that the elevation you are at will effect the range of a given load too. At higher elevations, if memory serves, you will increase your distance that's obtainable.
15 years 5 months ago #489

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

A bigger tube will give you more clicks, the lens is the same in virtually all scopes
in the erector between 1" and 30mm tubes. The exception is USO, They build 34,35
and 40mm tubes that have a bigger lens. You can just about use the scope as a bat
they are so strong and John at USO stands behind his products better than any company I have ever seen. If your thinking night force price range take a look at
US Optics.
15 years 5 months ago #493

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Advice Needed on Scoping An Armalite SuperSASS

Gents,

I would check and see if Badger Ordnance has what you need for a AR-10 mounts. I have Marty's stuff on all my bolt guns and it's top drawer. Haven't checked to see if he's doing AR-10 mounts yet, but I suspect so...that would be my first choice.
Scope tubes come in 1", 26mm, 30mm, 34mm, and possibley larger. While they do allow more internal adjustment they don't do a lot for light transmission. What really controls that is quality of glass and the diameter of the exit pupil...how much light the eye can use.
You never go wrong putting money in top quality optics. USO builds good stuff and you can probably pound nails with it. However it is big and heavy...
My preference will always be Schmidt and Bender. As rugged, but a bit lighter and more streamlined. Just my preferences. Undoubtedly, this leads us to the old "ford/chevy" style debate.
As for ballistics...elevation, temperature, humidity, and light conditions all effect trajectory. It's not just a simple matter of dialing the elevation, guessing the wind, and shooting. It's part science and a LOT of art/practice.

Wes
15 years 5 months ago #499

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!