Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

• Thank you received: 0

My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS was created by djpenn

I just opened the case... now all I have to do is trick it out
15 years 4 months ago #803

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by djpenn on topic Re:My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

This image is hidden for guests.

15 years 4 months ago #804

This message has an attachment file.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

Thanks for the pics! VERY VERY SWEET. I'm drooling with envy right now.
15 years 4 months ago #805

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

djpenn,

WOW! Very nice rifle. I can't wait for you to get it "tricked out" so we can have a range report...

Wes
15 years 4 months ago #806

Okay... I now have:
1) 500 rounds of Hornady 168 gr. moly coated match (Black Hills is back-logged 6-8 months because they provide military ammo)

2) Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 x 40 mm

and

3) Harris LMS 6-9" bipod on order

I can't wait to break the barrel in!! BUT... ARMS mount(s) and rings... I need some help. I'm from mostly a pistol background so the whole cheek weld and mounting considerations thing is a brand new world to me. I've been looking around the leupold and armsmounts.com sites, but I still have no idea what height rings and mounts I need. There seems to be a lack of standardization in terms of measuring from the center of the optics to the "base" (where on the base?)

All i know is that the rings need to be 30 mm diameter for the tube. Does anyone have any advice as to what the best mounts (single piece or 2?) and rings are for the 1913 rail?

This image is hidden for guests.

Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by djpenn. Reason: changed
14 years 8 months ago #1933

This message has an attachment image.

djpenn,

Wow! You finally got all your gear together and are ready to forge ahead...kewl.

I would stay away from the A.R.M.S. mounts. Some have had issues with them. My M-14 mounts never did stabilize and I just couldn't get them to hold a zero...believe me, I tried.

What I recommend WITHOUT RESERVATION is the LaRue Tactical 30MM SPR-S mount. It's two piece...the rings and mounts are Unitized so it acts like it's all a single machined piece. Very Rugged!!! There are inserts available that allow use of 1" scopes with the mounts, too.
Also, it's a well done QD design that holds the mount on the rail solidly, yet allows you to pull the scope off and replace it with a red dot or somesuch for close in CQB work, if needed.

LaRue makes similar types of QD mounts for a number of red dot sights making change over a snap.
Check out the LaRue web-site. Can't vouch for cost, but this is not a point to "go cheap" after you've gotten such excellent equipment so far!

Ammo: I roll my own, but have almost a 1000 rounds of M118LR or it's Black Hill's equivelant. I like the 175 grain Sierra Match Kings.
Your Hornady 168's should do a most excellent job, too.

When you get ready to break the rifle in let me know or open another thread.

You need to be aware that some barrel manufacturer's will not warranty their tubes when used with moly coated bullets. There are a number of issues with moly and it can get to be a REAL love/hate relationship in a hurry.

Check with Springfield concerning their warranty before shooting any moly coated bullets in your Super SASS.

Open another thread under care and cleaning and one for reloading/using moly bullets. I'll answer and give you what info I can.

Overall, for tactical use I DO NOT recommend moly. Anyway, we can discuss that later, too.

All the best and congrats on getting your excellent equipment together at last.

Kind Regards,

Wes
14 years 8 months ago #1934

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

Good lord you finally got it all, great job.
I personally can vouch for the LaRue mounts. If you buy one, you won't want any other, just ask foxhunter..I have the 135 on my A4 CB (the pass) it all depends if you are going to have BUISs on it. If you aren't, the 104 would work, if you have a rear sight, then go with the LT-135 like mine.
Trust me when I say they are worth the money, you will love them. If you need any help with them, let me know, glad to help. Oh ya, you can get them with the 30mm rings.
Oh I almost forgot,,,dam I envy you, nice job.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 8 months ago #1936

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your input! I will check out the LaRue site when I finish writing this. I've seen some things at M4carbine.net about LaRue QD mounts (and something about "SPR", I think it was called).

Wes, about the moly ammo - ArmaLite's manual says: "Your SuperSASS has a specially lapped match grade barrel. It is superbly accurate when used with Black Hills moly coated .308 Match ammunition, G.I. M852 or other match quality ammunition. ... Black Hills moly coated ammunition reduces the break-in and lengthens the period between cleaning."

...so I thought I was getting something similar with the Hornady...? I've seen debates on snipercountry.com about it... I"m wondering why the manufacturer is recommending it. Maybe to sell more barrels? ;-)
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by djpenn. Reason: felt like it
14 years 7 months ago #1976

Your Hornady 168 gr Match Ammo should do just fine in your SuperSass.
When you get a chance get some M852 or M118LR...if you can find it. The latter is considerably hotter than M852 and features the 175 gr SMK...my guess is your SuperSass is going to love it.
Black Hills 175 gr SMK loads will work well if you can find it.
If you know someone that handloads have them send you 20 rounds of their pet gas gun ammo...if they are REALLY friends...
My old gas gun load was 42.5 gr AA-2520, LC87 match case, Winch LR primer, and a 175 gr SMK. It's extremely accurate, too. Although not a favorite powder today, a decade or so ago 2520 was THE powder for Hi-Power. In fact it was refered to as "Camp Perry Powder".

Send me your address via e-mail. I'll dig around and see what "floor sweepings" I can find to send your direction. Standard disclaimers apply.
I'm at: whowe05@msn.com.

You need to get out and shoot your SASS off!!!

Wes
14 years 7 months ago #1978

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:My brand new .308 AR-10T SuperSASS

You will have to post some new pictures when she ready for her debut, I look forward to seeing her all dressed up...LOL
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 7 months ago #1980

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!