Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Finally got my LAR-8!

• Thank you received: 10

Finally got my LAR-8! was created by LongBranchMk12

Hey guys!

I originally found this site 1-2 years ago when I was looking at buying a .308 AR. After tons of research and browsing this forum. I decided to go with the ROck River Arms Varmint. After 2 years of watching pricing (aka convincing the wife) and figuring out how I was going to set it up... Ordered one a month ago off of gun broker for $1100.00! And got some of the goodies for Christmas.

Took it out to the range today had it zeroed in 5 shots without bore sighting it!

Still got some more stuff I need to install. I got a quad rail for it and I'm going to get a red dot to mount to the 1 o'clock rail, bipod.

The one thing I'm looking at and wanted to know if anyone has heard good, bad or indifferent about is a company Witt manufacturing? They make muzzle breaks to fit your barrel. Send them the measurements and they cut it. They are clamp on or threaded for $90. Any thoughts?

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 3 months ago #43887

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Congrats LB, the Rock River is a beauty of a rifle. Just ask Libertarian. I know nothing about Witt manufacturing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LongBranchMk12
9 years 3 months ago #43888

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Nice looking rifle :thumbs: I've never heard of Witt and can't say I've heard much about clamp on breaks so I can't help there.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #43889

Replied by LongBranchMk12 on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Here is a pic of the break they make... The correct company name is Witt Machine. It was started by a USMC vet and they are made in the USA so that makes me want to at least give it a try...

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by LongBranchMk12.
9 years 3 months ago #43890

This message has an attachment image.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

LB- Congrats on the rifle, you are going to really like it. Is that the 20" barrel, if so the brake may be a good add on. I thought about the very same brake for a long time. I did not put it on mine because with the 26" barrel there is really not that much flip to the barrel at all. I can watch impacts at the 100y line, so it really would be of no gain for me. The company has been around for a couple of years and there are enough people saying good things about there products. I would say you are safe in buying from them.
I hope you go back through my posts and glean what you can from them about the shooting characteristics of the LAR-8. They may save you some time and ammo. The LAR-8 has a unique recoil impulse, due to the large bolt and long throw. As you get in tune with the rifle things will start to flow, but in the beginning concentrate on not muscling it and more driving the rifle. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this platform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy, LongBranchMk12
9 years 3 months ago #43892

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Nice rifle and ole Lib offers up some useful advice...
9 years 3 months ago #43893

Thanks Libertarian!

Yeah I ended up getting the 20". I was pretty much set on getting that break just wanted to see if anyone had any issues. When I get it I will update everyone on it.

My first box of shells out of this gun was some the best shooting I've ever done. So I'm really looking forward to putting some range time in with this thing.

Went out and tried to call in some yotes tonight with it. No luck.
9 years 3 months ago #43905

Hey guys!

Got my quad rail installed at the LGS. Looks pretty good can't wait to add more goodies.

After I got the gun back I had to rezero it went through a box of shells and stuff was flying all over the place. Not sure what it was most likely I was rushed and using $9.95 ammo I found at Walmart (that said 1 MOA on the box. Total BS). So I went and got some good ammo and went to my range and put to use some of my knowledge I got from Libertarian and the book long range precision rifle. Dry fired a little bit, really focused on breathing etc. rezeroed and put up a new target. This gun is AWESOME!

The results were crazy! Some of the best shooting I have ever done (limited shooting still a green horn)
Here is the 5 shot group. First shot was the lower left shot...

7 shot group

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
9 years 4 weeks ago #44418

This message has attachments images.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Nice groups! You gotta love it when a plan comes together :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 weeks ago #44419

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Finally got my LAR-8!

Keep that up and you will be shooting with the best
9 years 4 weeks ago #44420

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!