Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bullet stuck, powder everywhere, on manual eject

• Thank you received: 0

Bullet stuck, powder everywhere, on manual eject was created by wielywilly-g

I have a fairly new Rock River Arms LAR-8 308 in 26" bull varmint and have been shooting FGMM 175 gr fine. I purchased 200 rnds of FGMM 168 gr recently and while they shoot fine, if I try to cycle them out of the chamber with the charging handle (with 2 hands and lots of sweat) the bullet gets stuck in the chamber and the brass ejects and powder goes everywhere.
It has happened 4 times. I inspected the stuck bullets after pounding them out and there seems to be no burrs, just 1/8" wide band of what looks like a pressed in mark in the copper.

Does this sound like I have a bad sized chamber or a bad batch of ammo or maybe lead build up in the chamber? I
13 years 3 months ago #6384

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:Bullet stuck, powder everywhere, on manual eject

Here is a picture of the bullet showing the marks I was talking about. I don't see any rifling marks.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

13 years 3 months ago #6387

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Bullet stuck, powder everywhere, on manual eject

Just to make sure, this is factory Federal 168 gr Match ammo?

Do you have the same problem with the 175 match ammo?

If not, I would say it's an ammo problem.

Have you shown a flashlight into the chamber to see if anything is in there?

I haven't seen this problem with my LAR-8's. One of them is the Varmint model like you have.
13 years 3 months ago #6388

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:Bullet stuck, powder everywhere, on manual eject

Roger that, it is factory part number GM308M (168 gr) and the stuff that is tight but does manual eject is GM308M2 (175 gr).

I can not see anything in the chamber. I got another box of the GM308M today at a local gun shop and it measures .3081 to .3082. I will do some tests with it tonight.

These LAR-8's are sure tight. Leo over on Snipers Hide was telling me the match chamber is .3083" ID. Wow! I had no idea they were that tight.
13 years 3 months ago #6389

I took it to RRA yesterday and they fixed it while I was at lunch. Great Company to work with.
13 years 3 months ago #6439

Did they tell you what they did to it?
13 years 3 months ago #6440

BJ said they opened up the end of the chamber where the bullets were hanging a very slight amount. He didn't say what tool his shop guy used or what it measured now. He initally wanted to send the barrel back to Wilson and give me a new one, but I asked him to try and save this one since I knew it was 1/2 MOA shooter. I will have to see how it shoots now. It WAS very nice to hand cycle some 168's out of the chamber no problem.
13 years 3 months ago #6441

Awesome! RRA is a great company!

I look forward to your report after you shoot it.
13 years 3 months ago #6442

I had a chance to get out this weekend. It still shoots great. I shot 5 rnd FGMM 168 and 5 rnd FGMM 175 at 109 yd and in each case 4 of the 5 holes were touching each other and the flyer not far off.
Next I went to the place where I can shoot 410y. It shot under 1 MAO with both the FGMM's at that distance and there was a 12mph wind at 160deg (I consider 0 deg to be a dead on head wind).
13 years 3 months ago #6466

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working well.
13 years 3 months ago #6470

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!