Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Need sling recommendations

• Thank you received: 556

Need sling recommendations was created by jtallen83

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good all-around sling. Of course I don't want to spend a fortune but I really only want to have one sling. The rifle is a basic AR-10 flat-top with a 20 inch barrel. I have never used anything but the standard military issue sling but as I get older and my rifle gets heavier I need every edge I can get when it comes to getting and holding on target. I also have several youngsters shooting the rifle so quick adjustments would be great. I've done some looking but the options are so varied I'm not even sure what style I should be looking for and I want to avoid the cheap stuff. Thanks in advance for all the time and help.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 3 months ago #10060

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

I saw a good video on 1, 2 and 3 point slings recently, looked at all the usual suspects, and can't find it. Might have been on this forum. Somebody help me out here.

After reviewing the video (that I wish I could find) I decided to stay with a 2 point sling. It's the only one you can use the left arm wrap trick with. I find that pulls the gun into my shoulder real good and stabilizes it.

Wish I could help with a 2 point sling recommendation, but I'm still using the military issue sling too.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #10062

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

I've been happy with the vickers sling. It is simple, well built, and quick adjust without any excess straps left hanging lose or buckles to operate.
draw backs are that it can be too short a full extension for some people, like myself (xxl).
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 months ago #10065

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bob Downey on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

jtallen83,
Have you used the Miltary sling as regulary used as Hasty Sling Config?
As Charlie described it as the "left arm wrap trick"?
It stabilizes the rifle really well.
Some folks like using a vertical grip on the forearm instead.
For a 20" barrel you probably should put the grip as close to the receiver as you can.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 3 months ago #10077

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

Is that what you call it? I never knew. My dad taught it to me a hundred years ago.

I found a vid that shows it:

You can also execute it from a left shoulder muzzle down carry. That's what I prefer (fewer hand motions).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #10078

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bob Downey on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

Thats the ticket!
A lot of the slings today are based on the 5.56 cartridge 14.5" barrel carbines being used in the Armed Forces and do not seem to concerned with supporting real rifle nose heavy barrels.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 3 months ago #10081

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

Teaching the kids the left arm wrap is what put me on the quest for something different. For the firmest position you have to have the length of the sling just right so I spend a ton of time adjusting it for the next kid. This makes the ammo bill a little smaller but as you can imagine time spent adjusting equipment shortens their attention span some.
There is a large number of different slings out there with features that sound like they should work for me. Some mention having a bungee section while others mention quick adjust systems.
I have a T-pod grip and have liked it a lot but the wrap is more stable for me, I imagine they both have their place. Odds are are I'll end up with a couple different 2 point slings before I'm satisfied. Thanks for all the advice guys!
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 3 months ago #10082

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

The funny thing is, way back before I knew about things like free floating barrels, I used to sling up tight like my dad taught me, for better support and all. Then the day came when someone tried to explain barrel flex. At first I called BS, then I tried shooting without it, and the difference was significant enough that slings have been "carry straps" ever since. of course, this was with a twig barreled .22lr banded to the fore end.

I think next time out I'll give it a try again.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 months ago #10084

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by pacific keeper on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

3 Point sling . I think it is a Wilderness "Giles" 3 point and it works great for me on the 20" AR 10 and the AR 15's also . You can use it for a shooting sling and it is a very comfortable carry sling .
12 years 2 months ago #10670

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Re: Need sling recommendations

I use a padded two point Larue sling,.......very satisfied with it!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
12 years 2 months ago #10680

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!