Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound

• Thank you received: 171

Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound was created by 13fcolt

Stumbled accross this dohicky a while back and thought it was just the thing. A bit rich for my blood I passed on it until I found a coupon code (panteaoprp) for $50 off at Botach. Since it was already on sale at the time, I got this puppy for 74 something shipped.

This is a heavy chunk of aluminum, Taste like 6160. Some machining marks here and there, over all the finish is very good anodizing.

The mount is an adjustable throw lever mount with an engagement tab on each end for the cross slots in the rail. The adjustment knob itself is a nice large steel piece with good knurling.

The very large throw lever is quite similar to ADM mounts in how it locks to the rail. The rail engagement section is spring loaded and pushes open when the lever is flipped off. You can see in this pic I greased it with a bit of frog lube. Despite the length of the lever, I found it took a good bit of force to operate, once it was adjusted to my AR10s bottom rail. This may or may not prove to be the weak link in the system. I'll just have to see if it breaks.

This is what is inside the unit. There is a corresponding nylon insert in the top that I couldn't get to tonight.

They way this all works is that you attach the base to the head of your heavy duty tripod, then mount your weapon on top. you get the full 360 rotation and around 30 degrees of tilt. The textured mid-section is then rotated to adjust tension from free swing without resistance to full lock and anywhere in between. A removable steel lever is supplied to give speed and leverage to the adjustment, with 4 threaded holes to clock the lever where it will work for you best.
Since it is a ball & socket affair there is also adjustment for cant, should your tripod be on uneven ground. The manufacturer claims it is rated for a 100 pound weapon and recoil up to a .50 cal. My initial impressions of the quality and over all robustness of the unit, I tend to believe it. even without mounting it to my tripod, I can twist down on it enough that I can not make it move and do so without torquing to a point that I can't undo it.

One thing to be aware of, the base included with the unit is threaded for a 3/8 heavy duty tripod. while they do sell an adapter for standard 1/4 camera mounts, I suggest looking around as manfroto sells a 3/8 - 1/4 insert that should work just as well at half the price. Since I am using a dewalt construction tripod, I am having to stack adapters to go from a 5/8 thread to a 1/4, then back to 3/8 with the part from manfroto. all available through amazon.

I will post more when my adapters arrive and I should get some shooting video after that.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 2 weeks ago #21558

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Moreau on topic Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound

Pretty cool. I can see this used on the roof of a pick-up truck using the suction cup mount. Set up some targets 25-50 yrds off of a wooded dirt road and do a ride through letting you passenger engage the targets from the bed of the truck while someone drives. Sounds fun to me! :drool:
11 years 2 weeks ago #21560

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound

Sounds like fun. Bring your own ammo?
11 years 2 weeks ago #21562

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound

That does sound like fun! Wheeled gunnery redneck style!
I had forgotten to mention the suction cup mount.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21563

Look forward to the review, Now I see a use for the 25 round magazine.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21564

BYOA! & beer too! HAHA! The only people that shoot for free (on my ammo) are new shooters. Letting them experience the thrill without the bill is the best way to get them into shooting.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21565

I had no idea what it was :rotfl: had to google it; when I saw the suction cup mount it was the first thing that came to mind.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21566

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Kley-Zion PRP precision rifle pod review inbound

having seen what muzzle flash and ejected brass does to the roof of a gun truck, I'll bring my own ammo, but we use someone else truck. Down to bare metal after 100 rounds or so.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21567

WOW! That quick? I guess we'd have to use an ol' beater truck.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21569

I have a 99 Ford F150 rust bucket 4x4 short box. It would be perfect.
11 years 2 weeks ago #21572

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!