Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10

• Thank you received: 12

NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10 was created by crux

I have an associate who is prodding me to come to an NRA Highpower match with him. Naturally the rifle would need Iron sights for the match. Currently I have the EOtech installed, zeroed, not anxious to remove it (would shoot with it Off/batteries removed if thats what they wanted for it to be legit).

I'm hunting around looking at attachable Iron Sights for the flat top rail/gas block, and would prefer ones that at least co-witness with the EOtech, and preferably flip out of the way when not needed. So far I've been cosidering the GGG MAD flip sights for AR-10. Not the cheapest but I generaly am looking for bomb proof quality and performance over cheapest offering.

Does anyone else have any experience with co-witness iron sights especially that flip they could recommend for competition shooting?
15 years 3 months ago #848

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Policeman on topic Re:NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10

You might want to check the rules for Highpower. There are two set which semi compliment each other. NRA Highpower and DCM/CMP. They will tell you what you can not use not so much what you can. I hope that make sense. lol

In other words read the rules first before you run out and buy the wrong items and waste money.

Here is the link to the NRA Highpower page.
www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

Po-Po
15 years 3 months ago #855

Here is the CMP/DCM website rule book link. It may or may not work. Sorry.

Po-Po

www.odcmp.com

Look for starting competition link and it will give you a hot link.
15 years 3 months ago #857

Replied by crux on topic Re:NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10

It doesn't look like my AR-10 qualifies at all for CMP under 6.2 or 6.3, it matches no Foreign or Domestic military issue configuration. Nor am I inclined to go through the expense to make it so.
www.ar10t.com/component/option,com_ponyg...ail/id,20/Itemid,18/

Doesn't seem to be restricted under NRA rules though. For sights, they only seem to require a metal sight for match competition, even the EOTech is ok it seems under "any sight match rifle" rules.

Frankly I'm not interested in points or competition, just personal challenge to develop skills.

Thanks for the links.
15 years 3 months ago #859

It does qualify for F-Class with glass. Look it up. I am working on one now myself. You will not need your buis.

I have got the bug for competition. I used to do IPSC and IDPA but now that my mobility has gotten unreliable at times I figure I can still prone out and shoot from a rest. The question is do I want to go with the finicky gas gun or the tried and true bolt gun? I am working on the gas gun now. I may change my mind and scrap it all for a good bolt starter gun.

Anyone ever use a 26" barrel on an AR platform? Just curious.

Po-Po
15 years 3 months ago #862

Interesting, I'm not familiar with "clamshell" compensators. Currently I'm using a FSC 30 by PWS:
primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?...duct=37&idcategory=6

It does vent gas outward, up and back, might not be compliant with "any design that exits gas to the rear". Unless that's intended to mean venting gass from the aft face of the compensator, rather than from the sides. Will have to ask them.

24" is the longest I've heard someone use. It would be interesting to see statistics on a 26"
15 years 3 months ago #871

I saw that clamshell compensator the other day myself. It looked extremely impressive during the night fire shoot video. I do not know if it would be competition compliant or not as I have not looked at the rules.

The Palma competition guys use a 30" barrel on a bolt gun but I have not seen or heard anyone using a 26 myself. I am going to ask Mike Rock to see what he says.

Po-Po
15 years 3 months ago #873

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10

CRUX,

How much recoil reduction is there with that FSC 30 unit? It looks very interesting.
15 years 3 months ago #874

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:NRA Highpower Match Iron Sights for the AR-10

OK boys here it is. The A-10 is a match rifle only under NRA HP rules. You must use iron sights for across the course. Scopes are OK for any sight any rifle. No breaks or comps or muzzle divices (match rifle rules), the A-10 is not a service rifle and never will be so it is a match rifle only. I make barrels from 28 to 30 inches weekly from 6mm22-250 to 300 WSM for all the renge requirements. Gas systems are also extended in lengths to time the rifles. With the rifle properly timed a 6.5-284 gets a 17.25 inch gas system for example. If timed properly with a Lilja barrel blank most rifles hold .5moa or less. These are gas assisted bolt actions and timming is the key. Hope this helps. MSH
15 years 3 months ago #875

Recoil Reduction:
Enough that all experienced shooters who've fired the rifle commented that they expected more kick for a .308, one commented that the recoil was down to the level of the AR-15. I'd say it is more distracting in terms of noise, and with the Black Hills Moly I'm using there is a brief cloud that can sometimes momentarily obscure the sight picture.

The main goal in the compensator was to reduce recoil as much as possible for the wife. I'd say it accomplishes the job.
15 years 3 months ago #876

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!