Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

My fathers obituary and service....

• Thank you received: 62

My fathers obituary and service.... was created by magi

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this.... you can move if needed....

Lt. Col. Charles I. Maggio
Nov 24, 1921 – Oct 10, 2013

Lt. Col. . Charles I. Maggio USAF Ret died on Oct. 10, 2013, after a long fight with Alzheimer’s disease. He was born Nov 24, 1921

Charley taught military pilots advanced training during World War II. He was ordered to fly a B25 aircraft in the Pacific Theater, as the war ended. Later, he flew PBYs, or the “Catalina,” for Air Sea Rescue. He was also based out of Harmon Air Force Base. His military tours took him to Tokyo, the Pentagon and to NATO Air South in Italy and the Mediterranean.

While he flew for twenty years, much of his 22 year military career was spent serving in intelligence and security communities for the military. He was an assistant air attaché to then Japanese Ambassador Robert D. Murphy in the early 1950's, who later served as undersecretary of state for the federal government.

In Sarasota, he is known as spending the rest of his working life – 18 years – as a schoolteacher at Riverview High School. He was beloved by students and staff during his time as a teacher.
For him, his greatest honor and achievement of his life, was the respect and endearment he received from his students over the years.

Preceding him in death, is wife Peggy Maggio, and grandson Mikkell Tikkell.

Survivors include son, Dennis I. Maggio; daughter, Stephany LaMont and husband George LaMont; grandson, David Anthony Byrd and girlfriend, Jennifer Sabin; wife, Dorothy Maggio; and Her children and, extended family Lia Martin, Indiana and Micaiah Erhardt. Also included are the multitudes of family, friends and former students, who loved Charley too.

He served his country, community, family and all those around him all his life. He was a man of duty who put himself last.

He will be deeply missed by all.

His Honor Guard Memorial and Celebration of Life will be scheduled soon, so all can take part if they would like.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Sharkey, 10-76
10 years 5 months ago #30917

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic My fathers obituary and service....

Here's to those that put boots on the ground, and to a life of service. May it not be forgotten.
The following user(s) said Thank You: magi
10 years 5 months ago #30918

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic My fathers obituary and service....

God Bless him and all those who knew and loved him.

This is a fine place for this thread Magi and prayers for good memories, pride and smiles of times remembered.

:usa:
10 years 5 months ago #30919

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic My fathers obituary and service....

Sorry about your Dad Magi. I know what your going through. My Dad flew B-17's and taught me to fly. Miss him every day.

Steve
10 years 5 months ago #30921

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic My fathers obituary and service....

It isa good place to post it, Magi, He made his mark on this world, and served his country well. Bless him, my father, and all the others of that generation who did so much for our country, and for us.
10 years 5 months ago #30922

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Keefer on topic My fathers obituary and service....

It's good to read of a life well lived in service and honor. I join you in morning his passing. You and you family will be in our thoughts and our prayers.
10 years 5 months ago #30937

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic My fathers obituary and service....

He has gone on to the big airstrip in the sky, where all landings are 3 pointers, God Bless him and you and your family.
10 years 4 months ago #31008

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic My fathers obituary and service....

A life as rich and honorable as your Father's deserves to be admired.
While I never met the Col. I believe I would have enjoyed listening to his accomplishments.
I applaud your posting and sharing his life accomplishments here.

I salute Lt. Col. Charles I. Maggio :usa:

May you rest in peace Sir.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 4 months ago #31053

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic My fathers obituary and service....

While he would tell stories and talk to the guys...... He never talked himself up.... I would hear of his achievements form those around him..... He would talk about missions or events... but not his abilities.... His flying gumbas years ago... told me he was the best pilot they knew.... Around 8 years ago we were talking... and he looked at me and said... "I was a good pilot.".... That was it......
10 years 4 months ago #31059

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic My fathers obituary and service....

Class... :usa:

It seems to be in such short supply sometimes... :(
10 years 4 months ago #31062

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!