Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Looking for Accuracy...?

• Thank you received: 529

Looking for Accuracy...? was created by OleCowboy

"The Ideal Barrel For A .308 Caliber Tactical Rifle

By Daniel Lilja

(Editor: Recently a TS subscriber wrote to us, looking for some guidance on the barrel contour selection for a .308 chambered tactical rifle. We felt that the inquiry was a bit too broad-based in topic matter and while a scholarly discourse in depth might have been nice... to do the job properly would have taken perhaps a dozen pages... and been a rather dry reading dozen pages at that. Since we live in a "Be practical" type of world, we fired off a "Help!" missive to Dan Lilja, the honcho at Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels (P.O.Box 372, Plains, MT, phone (406) 826-3084), together with a cover letter that mused... "I'm looking for a good, technically-oriented response... but not a rewrite of Gone With The Wind ". The goodfellow, Heaven bless him, must have understood what I was trying to say... because his response was along just the very lines that I was looking for. The editor considers Dan Lilja one of the most knowledgeable of today's authorities on long range rifle shooting.)"

Read more: www.riflebarrels.com/articles/longrange_...8_tactical_rifle.htm

The Details of Accuracy

By John Haviland

"The origins of accuracy or inaccuracy in a rifle barrel may be difficult to distinguish in an off-the-shelf hunting rifle that is capable of shooting mere one inch groups. Only in a properly constructed benchrest rifle will the details appear that make a barrel accurate become apparent. A couple ten thousandths of an inch variation in a barrel's dimension doesn't matter much in a hunting rifle, but the variation will show up in a rifle capable of shooting five shots into .125-inches or less at 100 yards.

Dan Lilja knows those details. Lilja is a barrel maker from Plains, Montana, a benchrest shooter and past director and president of the National Benchrest Shooters Association. His barrels have won every major benchrest tournament across the country. Hunters, varmint shooters, the US Armed Forces and every major bullet manufacturing company have bought his barrels for their well-known accuracy.

Knowing how and what to look for, from selecting the barrel steel to the final fitting to an action, are all necessary to make an accurate barrel."

Read the rest of the article: www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_mak...ails_of_accuracy.htm

What Makes a Rifle Barrel Accurate?
By Daniel Lilja
“Barrels that we've manufactured have set a number of World Records and won many National Championships in many types of shooting sports. So, why is one barrel more accurate than another? In this article I'll make some comments and observations about what we've found produces a top barrel.”

Read the rest: www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_mak..._barrel_accurate.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 1 month ago #17818

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Looking for Accuracy...?

Great post.
I saw on their site they have AR10 18" chromoly for 445.. Kinda makes me wish my barrel was shot out so I could get one.

First 2 links are 404.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 1 month ago #17819

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Looking for Accuracy...?

Fixed the links
11 years 1 month ago #17821

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Looking for Accuracy...?

Great Article.
11 years 1 month ago #17836

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Looking for Accuracy...?

I know someone who does work for them...and has won many matches using their barrels....Top Notch... :thumbs:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 1 month ago #17856

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!