Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

Building an AR-10

• Thank you received: 147

Building an AR-10 was created by Akai

If you were going to build an AR-10, one from the ground up in .308 Win what would be the best 80% lower to use? and any specific lower kits, pins, springs triggers ect. thinking of doing another build.
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #34374

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Building an AR-10

I was POSITIVE I replied to this, but there are no replies so will reiterate my (I thought) post:

I would use a Mil Spec materials MILLED 80%. I feel anything else will not meet your long term needs.

Why milled vs Forged? GENERALLY speaking milled will be of better quality...OK, OK, many of us old timers like myself remember the days that 'FORGED' was the answer especially if you were into building HiPerf engines. Forged pistons were the solution.

In SHORT: They took Alum and in a forged which is really 'stamping' process (beating with a hammer) they impacted the alum stock and made it stronger as a result.

BUT times have changed. Today the strength is being created in the billets themselves. So when the billet arrives there is nothing to be gained by beating it into submission, in fact it will only weaken it. Now to tool it we mill it and we also get far more accuracy as a result...
10 years 1 month ago #34430

Replied by Akai on topic Building an AR-10

Your really going to make me build my own, I run a machine shop so now I guess Drawings, Prints, Jigs and Fixtures this could take awhile. Might just be better off buying? leaving it to the guys that have done all the homework :unsure:
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #34435

LOL, then you know the 80% lower takes some milling, more than most folks would think.
10 years 1 month ago #34446

Yea, I don't really don't know how they make any money, guess the volume :laugh: but the satisfaction of a billet lower with the S/N of my own choosing :dance:
AKAI
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Akai.
10 years 1 month ago #34456

Go for it Bud and let us know how it progresses and toss some pics our way...
10 years 1 month ago #34458

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by SEMPERFIDOC on topic Building an AR-10

Here is a good 80% lower and they also have the jig you'd need.
www.blackriflesyndicate.com/80-lower-receiver-billet/
10 years 1 month ago #34570

80% LOWER RECEIVER BILLET

$158.99
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Black Rifle Syndicate is proud to finally announce our BRS-15 Lower Receiver in 80% completed form. The BRS-15 is precision CNC-machined from solid aerospace billet aluminum in the heart of Southern California. It is not a cheap forging. This is a top-tier AR-15 lower receiver perfect for any high quality AR-15 build.

• MIL-SPEC Type III hard coat anodized in black, flat dark earth, or raw
• T6 Heat-Treated 6061 Billet Aluminum
• Completed weight: 8 ounces
• Integral winter trigger-guard for added strength
• Flared magwell to improve mag changes.
• Broached magwell

Got to like the specs
10 years 1 month ago #34571

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by SEMPERFIDOC on topic Building an AR-10

Yes Yes, great pricing...T6 Heat Treated 6061 B.A., I like

Not sure what coating they use for the "flat dark earth" coating, probably ceracoat since that seems to be the big trend these days for low sheen / flat coatings.
10 years 1 month ago #34574

The gun shows are going into full swing around here so I'm going to put my hands on a few. Thinking of staying in line with a lower that takes the good old Armalite magazines! Not really sure how many choices I'll have :unsure:
AKAI
10 years 1 month ago #34666

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!