Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

• Thank you received: 0

New Barreling for Armalite AR 10? was created by moje45

I want to dial down the grouping of my .308 and I know I can do that with a little bit better barrel. I am new to changing out pieces to a rifle, so I apoligize in advance for my lack of knowledge. That being said, the specs for the barrel are:

Barrel: 20" Double Lapped, Chrome Lined, Threaded 5/8x24, 4149 Steel
Rifling Twist: RH 1:11.25"

I pulled these directly from Armalites website. What sort of changes should I make to a new barrel to improve accuracy at long (500 yards+) distances?

Thanks!
13 years 8 months ago #5050

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by moje45 on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

Forgot to add...I'm shooting 150-175 grain.
13 years 8 months ago #5061

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

I am not sure as to what you are looking for...you can go with a longer barrel..there are some companies out there that make good after market barrel but remember...it may void your warranty..I would see first what ArmaLite can set you up with...just trying to help you avoid some head aces...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 8 months ago #5066

Replied by CJR238 on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

This is why im hoping investing in a AR10T will get me ~4-5oo yrd accuracy.

Does Armalite make a 24" barrel?
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by CJR238.
13 years 8 months ago #5106

Replied by GregS on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

I have been told that chrome lined barrels are not as accurate as an unchromed one, check with some of the old barrelsmiths or serious target shooters on here, do your home work on a new barrel
13 years 8 months ago #5121

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

Greg..that is a new one on me. :huh: ..haven't heard that one before...I will have to check into it with a few smiths and "old guys".... :laugh:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 8 months ago #5126

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

Personally, I would contact MSH (mmsshh) and get him to re-barrel my AR-10. I believe he works with Lilja - one of the top grade barrel makers in the country. I used ADCO when my barrel was replaced a few years ago. Another one is White Oak. I had them build an upper for me a few years ago. They are all high quality shops.

If you are concerned about the warranty - sell your current upper and buy a fully assembled "T" grade upper from Armalite. My guess is that if you buy a barrel (a core functional part) from Armalite and install it yourself, you void your warranty.

On chrome and accuracy - they do not go together - it's a trade off.
Chrome does give longer barrel life - but just look at Armalite's barrel offerings - No "T" grade barrel has chrome lining.

BTW - where's MSH?
13 years 8 months ago #5133

Replied by moje45 on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

That all makes sense, but it begs the question of whether or not to buy a whole new upper, or just the barrel. I found a target barrel on an upper here: akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page...1a349c01e183647405b5

Im a little hesitent though for that price. Great deal, but I dont know about the quality. Anyone ever use these guys?

The other question is maybe just sell the A$ and get a T. My thinking is taht right now I have a PRS stock on order and I already installed a RRA free float. This is almost a new gun as it is without a new barrel. If I get a whole new upper I have another AR10A4.

Thoughts?
13 years 8 months ago #5134

Replied by CJR238 on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

GregS wrote:
This is also how i understand it. Chromed is for Corrosion/durability resistance, non chromed for accuracy.
13 years 8 months ago #5136

Replied by GONIF on topic Re:New Barreling for Armalite AR 10?

The fact that a CL barrel is not quite as accurate as a non chrome lined barrel is well known . if you indend to punch tight groups at 500 yards you will want to FF the barrel from the hand guard or rail ,get a match trigger ,hand load ,and get a good scope that has enough adjustment to allow for the drop at 500+ yards .And if you pratice and are any good the Armalite T10 barrel will give you great results .
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by GONIF.
13 years 8 months ago #5138

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!