Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

High ten, everyone!

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic High ten, everyone!

Thanks for the response.

If I'm lucky, the gun will talk to me. I have a competition motorcycle that talked to me and it's like I can do no wrong on it. I did have to change my style but it was so worth it. Everything done right is with utter cool and precision. ;)

Can you link a particular thread on your techniques or give me a hint what/where to search?

I think I've experienced something to that affect, once. People did take notice cuz, I assumed, I wasn't a comp shooter and I was using an off-the-shelf, red-dotted .45...not a race gun nor speed-rigged. It almost seemed easy, then I got my scores. :lol:
When the dot crossed the bullseye, I squeezed. I managed to outshoot 2/3s of the contestants for grouping and my times put me a little above mid-pack. I doubt the front runners were on par with today's high-level competitors, but whoever they were, they all had access to Dam Neck(yeah, I'm name dropping :whistle:) for the shoot. It was so long ago, I can't remember what org sanctioned the meet. We did have to move, reload and engage at various distances from behind barriers, etc.

I'm reminded of the scene in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" when the Columbian local asks Sundance to shoot a target and he misses miserably. Sundance then asks, "Can I move?" and proceeds to nail it.
I can hit if I'm not moving.

BTW, I totally get "diminishing skills". There's a point of no return where it's like starting over. On guns, I'm there. It sucks. I definitely need dedicated trigger time and not the plinking that's become my norm...about a 1000rds/year.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by funfred.
9 years 6 months ago #42686

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

Notice you have a pre ban HBAR, I have one myself I picked up in 1993 before Bubba's Ban. It shoots well, but the trigger is like a chisel on stone. I just picked up a Geissele GS2 trigger for it, and have been using it in experimenting for a 75 gr BTHP long distance loads. I have hooked it up to one of the new Burris scopes with a built in laser rangefinder and automatic holdover calculator. Haven't rung it out, but I want to see how it works at 500 yards. The big choice for me is between an AR10 rifle and an AR10T carbine. I have both, and can't decide which I like more. Both shoot gangbusters. The Carbine is lighter and handier, but the rifle seems less bothered by adverse conditions( wind). So the court is out for now which I like the best.
9 years 6 months ago #42693

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic High ten, everyone!

Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/10-moa/14122-spot-trace-article#31693
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/reloading/14083-faster-bullet-for-308-ar10t#31058
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/factory-ammo-308/14063-secant-or-tangent-ogive#30789
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/10-moa/14048-long-distance-up-or-down-slope-who-s-done-it#30402
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/members-only-area/14042-shot-set-up#30278
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/rifle-scopes/13930-nikon-m-308?start=10#29667
Herehttp://www.ar10t.com/forums/members-only-area/13975-steel-challenge-info-for-members-only#29361
These may start you out, we have a very good search function, try experimenting a little with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: funfred
9 years 6 months ago #42695

Thanks.

I did spend some time with the search function. Read so much, I can't remember what I was reading about.

Seven links, I'm gonna be busy for a while...
Thanks again!
9 years 6 months ago #42696

When I found this site I think I was reading for 2 weeks. Enjoy
9 years 6 months ago #42697

I never really gel-ed with my HBAR. I don't feel it's all it's cracked up to be. It could just be the trigger. Not being one to do re-loads, yet, I haven't found something it likes consistently, tho' I seem to recall she liked SS109 quite well...I named her Cybil.What are the respective barrel lengths?
9 years 6 months ago #42698

I've set four of the seven links aside as reminders of what I feel Is an appropriate route for furthering my interests/skills.
- The steel challenge for its examples.
- The Nikon one to remind me to check my parallax.
- The set-up, I found the order in which you paused to make more sense than what I was doing. Another reminder to check out.
- The up/down slope, for obvious reasons. Only time I've shot up, I had a missile on my shoulder.

The other three links, they were beyond my current level as a non-loader. I understood them but I'm not ready for their application. I will try me some Berger ammo, tho'.

Thanks again. Reading your posts, it's clear you have a keen grasp off things.

Thanks to you other guys too, and to those whose posts I've read in other threads. The ambience here is way better than the usual hierarchies of the big or niche forums.
I like it.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by funfred.
9 years 6 months ago #42702

Fred - I hope you post some range reports soon. We have a lot of shooters here and its always good to here what other people are doing different for training. Problems they experience , and what they do to solve the problems. The collective experience with the ar10 here is pretty awesome. When you get your rifle there will be a whole lot of pointers from everyone on how to make it run right, to loads and shooting drills. I will say that once you get it my first advise what ever you get is clean it, function check it, then lube it up like a d%*$ oil well (you can not lube it enough that first 200 rds). I would clean it frequently at first ( watching for problems ) I clean mine now about every 250-300 rounds with zero problems.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 6 months ago #42703

What?!? And expose what a lousy shot I've become? :rotfl:
Seriously, it might make for a decent thread...going through the rehabilitation to re-attain what I once had and then progressing into the distances for which the platform is capable.
It's gonna be a while before I have it...so many irons in the fire. I plan to make headway in a week or two. Hope everything's in stock, but that's something I can check come Monday.

Admittedly, I treated the .45, 700 and HBAR with less than caring maintenance for all the rounds they've eaten. I won't be as slack this time around.
9 years 6 months ago #42705

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

EThe rifle 20 inch standard chrome lined barrel. The AR10T, 16 inch stainless triple lapped target barrel.

Carbine 100 yards

Rifle 200 yards in a nasty 25 mph + crosswind.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 6 months ago #42706

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!