Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

High ten, everyone!

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic High ten, everyone!

Range report minus any reference to group size is OK Dude. Its all about the journey, we all have flaws in our shooting, We therefore gather on this common hallowed ground to discuss and openly exchange ideas on how to make it better.

Sisco = Nice shooting, that 100yard is awesome.
9 years 6 months ago #42708

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic High ten, everyone!

Wow. I can not believe it's been five months...
Weather finally cooperated with my schedule and I took the AR out for its(my) first shoot.
I scrubbed the barrel clean of its factory test firings long ago, now it was time to do the scrubbing between owner's first shots...not that big of a deal.
I had told myself I would document/note every shot, something I'd never done...turns out I left the pen and notebook in the range bag - I mean, really, I'm just sighting the thing in and scrubbin' between rounds. pfft.

Anyway...
Target 25 yards, prone, backstop 75yds behind, first round, MISS!!!
Uh, maybe I should bore sight it? lol

Bore showed my bullet likely went high and right, a lot! Ooops.
Second round, bore sighted by eye, 25yds, hit dead center 1.5" low.

The ground I'm on is an undulating flood plain. My target, once I got set, had nothing but trees behind it. I tried to have the backstop behind it but I figured 200 acres of trees would suffice should I miss.

Dumb-dumb(me) worked backwards on the elevation turret. Third round struck a berm ten feet in front of me. Miss.

Repositioned target and myself so the backstop was no doubt gonna be the spent round's resting place. Realized my zeroing error and after the ninth round moved the target to 100 yds. Tenth round was high/left.
Here's rounds 11-15, 4" target.

So, a question arises. Is there a chart describing rifle shooter technique errors for bullet placement such as exists for handguns?
Conditions were 60º, 35% humidity, 10-20mph crosswinds.
Federal Gold Match 168gr.
Last edit: 9 years 4 days ago by funfred.
9 years 4 days ago #44814

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

I can rationalize the poor bullet placement by saying, I was never fully comfortable in my shooting position. Shooting from rolling berms and soft gravel/sand constantly required repositioning. Next time out, I will be better arranged for the gun/shooter interface.
One thing I did as far as technique was pull the gun firmly, straight into my shoulder with the foregrip.
9 years 4 days ago #44815

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic High ten, everyone!

I noticed my hits moved up and right during the first 25 or so rounds of break in on my M15 TBN, not sure why but I was on a bench and using a lead sled so the human error should have been minimal. Maybe your experiencing the same issue????
Your not in bad shape for the warm-up group though :thumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 days ago #44818

Thanks for the thumb.

I thought about it being the break-in period. I guess another 15 rds or so will tell.
9 years 3 days ago #44819

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

As Lib mentione earlier, give yourself time to adjust to the AR's unique recoil parameters. As well as time to find its favorite load
9 years 3 days ago #44821

I think it was Lib that said to pull the rifle straight back with the left hand. At any rate, this forum has been a great source of info.

I'm not reloading yet and I feel the FGMM is pretty good stuff, kind of a standard for factory loads, but I'm certainly open to suggestions on other factory loads.

I have a bunch of LC M80 lying around...I plink the hell outta my Rem700 with it (almost can't miss).
Anyone have a comment on it for the AR?
9 years 3 days ago #44825

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic High ten, everyone!

M80 runs great in my AR-10. I can get 1 moa at 100 yards out of Pakistani clone stuff.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 days ago #44826

Nice. That's encouraging.
9 years 3 days ago #44827

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

M80 works, and generally one manufacturers brass will be consistent when you go to reload. Lake City M80 is excellent.
9 years 2 days ago #44833

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!