Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What do you do to keep in shape?

• Thank you received: 547

What do you do to keep in shape? was created by Siscowet

This topic gets tossed out there periodically, and I figured its time to do it again. Up until this year, one of my main sources of exercise was cutting, splitting and hauling 15 cords of wood to heat our house in northern Wisconsin in the winter. Unfortunately that has led to a diagnosis of bilateral spinal stenosis in two different vertabrae, and a warning from the Neurosurgeon to stop playing with wood. So I joined Snap Fitness instead. Now I do 15 minutes on the Stairmaster, Followed by an hour of weight lifting, followed by 20 minutes on the elliptical three time a week. Two other days I either do stairmaster and elliptical only, or a five mile walk. I just turned 66, and I want to be able to carry that AR10 through the woods for a few more years. I have noticed a big improvement in my cardiovascular endurance and strength. I just have to keep it up. What is every one else doing? Always interested in learning new ideas for exercise.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 5 months ago #43230

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic What do you do to keep in shape?

I usually just stay active like you did...in the yard choppin', whippin', tossin', haulin', rakin', shovelin' and throwin', but repetitive motions do lead to issues.

Five to ten years ago, I weight trained with a trainer for a year or two, twice a week. Interesting program consisted of 8-12 second reps, both up and down, with reduced weight. Look up "InForm Fitness/Power of Ten".

Used to ride the hell out of a ten-speed, had legs like a horse at one time.

Done the competitive motocross/supercross thing for a year - second most fit athletes in the world, soccer is first. Trophies were won, so I musta gotten something out of it. Otherwise, a lifetime of random riding just for fun has always been a fitness test.

I'm interested in doing the Extreme Seal Experience but have no intentions of showing up in my current condition. Lotsa runnin' and pull-ups to get under my belt first. I want to, at least, pass the current BUD/S physical screening test. I'm 54.
I was runnin' 6:12 mile times during my enlistment whenever the fitness tests came around. I hate runnin' for fitness...absolutely despise it.

I swim like a fish and that's my favorite exercise. Plenty of cardio, then back it up with some mean calisthenics. Unfortunately, I have no lap pool access, but there is a river right down the road. :huh:
I've yet to start that program but it's the one I'll use next. Running will be a part of it.

All the yard work has consisted of clearing 2 acres of underbrush and deadfall, by hand. The goal is to turn the 1/4 mile perimeter into a fitness trail. The property is sloped and proves to be an ass-kicker even when not exercising.

Quite frequently, 16oz curls has been my mainstay. I don't mess with those wimpy 12oz curls. :lol:
9 years 5 months ago #43231

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic What do you do to keep in shape?

I have always kept in good shape throughout my life. But as you age your goals change and the methods of staying in shape have to change. I am currently working very hard to roll back time and get back some of my previous speed in the combat sports. In the last 3 mos I have stopped all power lifting and strongman type lifts. I have done judo and boxing for most of my life and while having great strength helps in most cases, it doesn't help in coaching others. So I am working on getting back the speed that I lost while doing serious power lifting over the last couple of years. My overall strength is going to be reduced by as much as thiry percent, body weight will drop to 220's but I have started getting back the speed and endurance from 10 years ago. I sparred 10 rounds the other day with three different opponents back to back for the first five rounds and then 1 minute breaks. Felt absolutely great could have kept going infact. So the new exercise protocol is working. I have been doing it every day for 45 days. I have had a lot of help from others to develop it so I can take no credit for it. It revolves around the premise that in order to workout optimally a person must get ready for the exercise period , as we age this becomes more difficult. We came up with what is called a High Mileage Warm Up HMWU, that is referring to the individual doing the warm up, gentlemen we are all high mileage models at this point. The HMWU for short consists of a very general extensive warm up of your entire body (allParts) that lasts 10-15 minutes. Followed by a focused warm up of the injuried parts from past injuries (we all got them) to insure we don't injure them again and to try to boost dopamine levels to a point where you can function at a higher level in the face of the injury. this lasts 10 minutes. The last part of the warm up consists of a dynamic phase where you do your favorite dynamic exercises like burpees push ups, and the like until you are entirely warmed up and a target heart rate is reached ) mine is at least 120.Now you have got you body ready to go full tilt.
9 years 5 months ago #43239

Currently I do the HMWu with each session each day for the first workout that I am actually doing something other than cardio. I separate cardio from everything else usually. The cycle I use currently is a 72 hour cycle. first day ois strength training, I stick to a lot of Dan John stuff for this day , OLY lifts, heavy lifts in the 5x5 range, then short high speed cardio of only 12-18 minutes in the evening on this day, the second day is a dynamic day, rowing in the am then HMWU in the evening with a dynamic phase of things like bow jumps broad jumps clap pushups, bear crawls, burpess . It changes each session. lasts about 30 minutes. then the last day of the cycle is a roadwork day where I do rowing in the morning followed by a 4 mile run in the evening or afternoon. Realize I will spar with anybody at any time they are willing throughout. That is my current 72 hr training protocol and all I can say so far is that I am really impressed by it so far, it is working better than I could have hoped for. I realize that everybody have different levels of skill and strengths but it can be scaled to anyone and the premise of the HMWU bears repeating and shareing.
9 years 5 months ago #43240

Okay, just reading about your workouts was exhausting. :sick:

I gotta feel like I'm moving or my interest wanes...probably explains why I've never had a dedicated training program. Where's the fun?
9 years 5 months ago #43242

Replied by Siscowet on topic What do you do to keep in shape?

I wrestled in high school, Boxed Golden Gloves, took Judo in college, and studied Tae Kwan Do in my late teens and twenties. Always had my heavy bag and speed bag hanging in my basement or garage. At fifty I took up Uechi Ryu Karate. Studied that until I was sixty, ending up one level below a Sho Dan. I found the martial arts are a great way to maintain flexibility and cardiovascular fitness. I plan to start doing my Katas again, as well as short programs as my back will allow. Right now my goal is less to maximize my physical fitness than it is to prolong the time before I start chasing staff and residents of the opposite sex around a retirement home. That and still be able to haul my AR10 around the woods.
9 years 5 months ago #43243

I've yet to come to terms with my aging. I know it's happening and I'm not ready to submit to its reality.
If I can pull it off, getting lean and fit (better than I've ever been) seems like a good plan to stave off the inevitable 'til eventualities catch up.

Not doing anything is, give me a shovel...I have a slow grave to dig.
I ain't goin' out that way.
9 years 5 months ago #43244

Replied by Siscowet on topic What do you do to keep in shape?

Well said.
:thumbs:
9 years 5 months ago #43245

I remember at a young age that when I could no longer travel at will to where ever I wanted without fear life would loose its luster. I still feel the same. I have always tried to ensure longevity through good habits, for me exercise is one of those habits. the recent change in my workout goals shows a shift away from optimum performance for a lesser level to facilitate coaching others effectively. Perhaps one step closer to coming to terms with ageing. Anyway I will think of it that way. I intend on boogy boarding that insane looking storm coming down from Canada next Monday Tuesday into the great lakes Basin. it will be the best surf in a decade and I am not missing it.
9 years 5 months ago #43249

See I am maturing , a couple of years ago I would have wanted to surf in it. Which at my level would be dangerous, given the rip current it is going to generate.
9 years 5 months ago #43250

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!