Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Traditional Archers, I need assistance.

• Thank you received: 23

Traditional Archers, I need assistance. was created by funfred

I shot a longbow as a kid with good results and would like to get back to that or a recurve. As an adult, I've always had a desire to own a good traditional bow but ended up with a Browning Bridger compound twenty-some years ago that just never quite cut it for me. It doesn't have fancy sights, cams, stabilizers, etc...it's just ended up not being all that fun to shoot. (It weighs about a hundred pounds). :silly:

Been chasing info to bring me up to speed concerning tuning, arrows, appropriate weights/lengths and I thought, someone here has to be an archer...maybe they got somethin' to say.
I will be going to a dedicated bowshop (Lancaster Archery) for a final talk with some experts and to make the purchase.

Lookin' for a nice, lightweight(<2lbs), fiber/wood bow, 45-50lb draw. I'm 5'11" and use 30" arrows on my compound.
Price, I figure upwards of $500 not including arrows, but realistically $350-$400.
Not really interested in a take-down for aesthetic reasons but I haven't ruled them out. Speaking of aesthetics, some of the laminated risers are really striking, as opposed to the layered. Unfortunately, I've seen pics of the laminateds in pieces.
I'll target shoot mostly but an eventual use of the bow in unconventional positions on sloped property is inevitable...once I get my game back.

Bear? Martin? I can't think of anything more traditional. Bear's SuperMag 48 really has my attention but I understand that may make for a very challenging (re-)starting platform.

So, whatcha got? What can the traditional archers here offer up as advice, opinions and suggestions?
Everything from bows to accessories is on the table.
9 years 4 months ago #43478

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Traditional Archers, I need assistance.

Fred archery is a great hobby very Zen. A few years ago I was bit by the bug, and was facing similar decisions. In the end I bought a compound bow because I would use it for Whitetail and Elk. The recurve that is always up to the task no matter what is the Bear Super Kodiak and I looked at that bow a lot. The only reason I passed on it was the range restriction. The recurves restrict your range greatly. I eventually bought a Bowtech Allegiance and bought a set of 100# limbs it is set up so I can shoot instinctively with it or with the sights it I want. I bow fish (gar) in the spring, and wild game in the fall with it. Just one more thing to do outside. As it takes almost daily shooting to be proficient it will keep you busy. Have fun with it.
9 years 4 months ago #43481

Replied by funfred on topic Traditional Archers, I need assistance.

I had to check out Bowtech's website. Dammit, Lib! What's not to like about a bow that shoots 360fps?!? :woohoo:
I'm both amazed at and turned off by the designs these days. If only they could get them under 2 lbs...
The price for that speed is steep and I imagine if they could cut the weight in half it would quadruple.

As you said, archery is very Zen. At least that's how I feel when I drill something w/o using sights. I don't think I could appreciate that in a hi-tech killin' machine...it seems antithetic.
We'll see how I hold when I get to the shop. :laugh:
9 years 4 months ago #43486

Instinctive shooting doesn't change because of your equipment( traditional or high tech) its a Zen thing. With my bow I can instinctively shoot at extended ranges, when I want to take a extremely long shot I switch to sights. I have mine set up with 100 pound limbs (bowtech will provide on any of there hunting bows) a HHA sight Single pin and a whisper biscuit. Gold tip arrows a little over spined. I take instinctive shots to 50m and can hit the 8 inch kill zone out to 110m with sights on a good day. That's what you get with the new equipment when you push the envelope. Its a lot of fun no matter how you look at it. we regularly goof around with targets out to 180m. it sharpens your aim at closer distances. I hope you decide to take up archery again. Just one more thing to get you out of the house.
9 years 4 months ago #43489

No, but holding the relative emptiness of a simple, <2lb bow vs holding a mass presence, >3.5lb bow certainly won't detract as much from any quietness I can instill in my body.

I think I might just not be willing to pay for the mechanical attributes of a compound. From my perspective, a readily available, high-end, traditional bow is under $500 and a comparable compound bow is near $1000, gives or takes. I wouldn't settle for low/mid-level on either.
I gotta get somethin' for the wifey, too, and haven't discussed a budget...yet. :D
9 years 4 months ago #43490

Remember that with a compound your going to get a 50-60 percent let off on the hold. So with a 60 pound bow your only holding 24 pounds.
9 years 4 months ago #43492

Yeah. The price of that comfort may be important to my wife but I'm only looking for 45-50lb of draw. I gotta get some real world, back-to-back comparisons...
9 years 4 months ago #43493

Look on ebay for some really good deals on used bows. For some reason people don't hang on to bows the way they do guns.
9 years 4 months ago #43494

herehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Bear-Super-Kodiak-Bow-/231414664755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e1638e33
9 years 4 months ago #43495

Thanks, but I'm not that kind of shopper.

Correction, I don't make these types of purchases through those types of venues. ;)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by funfred.
9 years 4 months ago #43496

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!