Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Found a good article while out surfing this AM

• Thank you received: 216

Found a good article while out surfing this AM was created by Libertarian623

We have alot of those guys here. Wish we had more. thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-col...n-every-day-20150104
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai, jtallen83, Siscowet
9 years 3 months ago #44089

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

Good find Lib, I sometimes wonder whether that "Sentry" trait, as I call it is genetic or learned, because a minority of us seem to have it. I think learned, mostly, but a person also needs a sheepdog mentality, to take a guardian attitude towards others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 3 months ago #44092

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

Sisco that's a good question genetic/learned. Would be something if it was genetic. Iwould have to think it was a genetic trait that is either on or off. My thinking from my own experiences and limited knowledge. Maybe triggered on with the right circumstances in development. Kind of survival mechanism that shuts off when not needed. But comes out with stress. Interesting we will not know for sure in our lifetime, but I guarantee there is interest in it at the pentagon. And somebody at DARPA is getting tax dollars to unravel it.
9 years 3 months ago #44093

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

I don't know, but I do know that Texas last year sold over 1 MILLION guns, leading the nation in gun sales...
9 years 3 months ago #44094

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

I know Ernie and he knows me although we never have met :huh: yes I think that most is learned but a lot is or could be genetic. When in certain situations throughout my life it just came "natural" for me even at a very young age, when others ran away I ran to help. Yes this is when you see it come out in High Stress situations. Some of us are the ones that get things done and the others just wonder and have that blank stare :blink: So whatever it is I'm glad for the people in the know and the ones here are I'm sure part of this elite group, and for that all I can say is "Thank you" :usa:
AKAI
9 years 3 months ago #44098

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

I've always thought this trait was some of both, genetic and learned. I do believe the learned part comes early though. I can't think of anyone I know that changed modes after puberty. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I could just stand and stare,
that altruistic streak gets me in trouble more often than not.....but I never learn :pinch:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44100

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

Great observations on this subject. JT- I tend to follow the opinion that it has to come out early, some sentinel event has to trigger it.. Kind of like waking up and choosing to remain awakened, in spite of the easy road back to sleep beckoning you. I have often had the dilemma of action in front of me and been a prisoner to the reaction.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 3 months ago #44101

For me I think I can recall a series of events when I was 7-8 when I was shot at by a drugged up neighbor. I recall thinking and planning how it would go down different in the future. Then a year or two later I had a family of five killed in the next house down the road from me. That twisted in with drugs and alcohol and poverty in my family, hardens somebody pretty fast. That and I had a couple of role models , one was a prior Ranger. Frank ( dads friend) showed me a different path to follow, where you did what was right. Now that I recall he taught me to shoot a rifle, first rifle I ever shot was a M1 Garand 30:06. Guess I owe Frank a phone call if he is still around. Please chime in with your own thoughts.
9 years 3 months ago #44102

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Found a good article while out surfing this AM

I think the biggest influence on me was my Grandfather. I lived with my Grandparents on a farm from age 3-5 and would spend the summer and about every other weekend with them until I left for the service.This put me in contact with a much older generation and I paid close attention. Grandpa always showed trust in me, sent me out to shoot rabbits and squirrels at age 5, taught me how to blow shit up at 11, about the same time he made me start driving in to town for parts and such. Being responsible for my self and those around me was often a topic of his talks. He never had much money but that didn't stop him from helping family and friends with his time and sweat, other peoples needs always came first. I never heard the man raise his voice in anger or frustration, the only person I recall him speaking ill of was president Nixon........
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #44103

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!