Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Pulled the trigger

• Thank you received: 529

Pulled the trigger was created by OleCowboy

Tavor® SAR Flattop In Flat Dark Earth With Bayonet Lug FD18
The TAVOR® SAR Flattop incorporates a full-length MIL-STD Picatinny top rail in addition to the standard short rail mounted at a 45° angle opposite the charging handle.

Caliber 5.56 NATO

Action Semi-auto

Operating System Closed rotating bolt, long gas stroke on piston head

Magazine Type Polymer NATO STANAG type

Magazine Capacity 30 rounds

Barrel Material Cold hammer forged, CrMoV, chrome lined

Barrel Length 18"

Overall Length 27 ⅝"

Weight 8.15 lbs.

Rifling Right hand, 6 grooves, 1:7 inch twist

Stock Color Flat Dark Earth

Stock Type Reinforced polymer bullpup configuration

Sights Folding front sight (blade) with Tritium insert and rear sight (aperture)

MSRP - $1,999

www.iwi.us/TAVOR/TAVOR-TSFD18

+ IWI carry bag ($149) and 3 mags ($60)
9 years 1 week ago #44758

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Pulled the trigger

Pictures :whistle:

The website doesn't have much for detailed pictures. I'm trying to figure out where those folding sights are? I don't see them in the web pictures.
I love the idea of an 18 inch barrel in an under 30 inch rifle, also like the fact it uses standard AR mags. I'm waiting to see if they come out with a DMR version, HBAR with a match trigger maybe.......just a few tweaks and it could serve both long and short range roles.
I'm also curios if it lends itself to butt-stroking? Every good combat rifle should be able to crush a skull when needed!
Looking forward to hearing what you think after sending some rounds downrange.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 1 week ago #44759

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Pulled the trigger

Really nice. Would like to see one in 7.62x51. Been looking for a sub MOA bullpup in 7.62.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blkgnmn
9 years 1 week ago #44760

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Pulled the trigger

Very interesting purchase cowboy. Bullpups are the shit on handling but you really never know much until you pull the trigger for real . It seems that for bullpups the terrible trigger has been the short coming for many models. I would expect that this is not the case for the Tavor but I really have not paid attention long enough. I will really look forward to your range report, and detailed review of the trigger. I would also second the above sentiment about having a 7.62X54 version.
9 years 1 week ago #44762

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Pulled the trigger

Found a shot with the sights up, real tall and skinny. Do they feel sturdy?
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 1 week ago #44763

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Pulled the trigger

JT, in speaking with IWI when I was there in Israel they see the iron sights as backup only. In fact the gun is issued with a red dot. Agreed the flip ups are not much, but were never intended to be from the get go...
9 years 1 week ago #44767

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Pulled the trigger

Cool! I think the Tavor is a good choice, particularly with the 18" barrel.

I hear a lot of ragging on bullpups because of this, that, or the other perceived issue from people who don't even own one. The triggers suck, it's difficult to reload, short sight radius. But these are the same people that swear that their favorite cartridge or firearm, whether it is in .17 Bee or .458 Weatherby magnum, is the best round for everything from hornets to elephants! Cognitive dissonance, much?

My first bullpup was the Steyr AUG. It did have trigger issues which I (hopefully) remedied with the 2020 Precision HTM (we'll see when I get to the range next weekend). But I can't fault your choice of the Tavor. I bought the Steyr because it was a long term goal of mine, but the Tavor is cool, and I damn near got one of those instead!

One day I hope to see "The People Of The Gun" celebrate diversity (I know that's a dirty word to most). To realize that firearms are not a one size fits all solution, to open their minds and realistically evaluate the offerings at hand, and not to condemn a new or different design just because they don't personally have experience with it.

We stand together, or we fall alone.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
9 years 1 week ago #44768

Charlie,
I have some range time with the Tavor. I had never even pickup a bullpup weapon of any kind. Got my hands on the Tavor at the IWI range outside of Tel Aviv. As someone who carried a M 16 professionally I was impressed with the Tavor.

I have always liked the theory behind the bullpup. What it does no other weapons platform does is put a long barrel in a smaller footprint. It is basically a long barreled carbine.

Given that, I believe and always have the design makes for the best of all worlds and given the war fighter and edge on the killing fields. I do have one lingering question and its been brought up already. That is the ability to butt-stroke a bad guy.

One may question whether or not this is important on todays battlefield. I cannot say but in Vietnam I had the opportunity presented to me to employ the butt-stroke. Its my guess that my opposition did not have the training I had received. I often wonder if today he is still ingesting his meals from a straw since I completely unhinged his lower jaw. In our mano a mano engagement, both of us managed to run out of ammo at the same time leaving us with only AK 47 vs M 16 and Ft Polk Basic Training vs what ever.

I will let you know when my Tavor arrives if it feels suitable as a face hammer....
9 years 1 week ago #44772

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Pulled the trigger

Is your wife volunteering for this face hammer test?

I've seen comments that the Bullpups are not as accurate as the AR-15 or AR-10. Is this fact from actual testing or is it just someone's guess based on the perceived shorter length (i.e. pistol vs rifle accuracies)? I'm not a spray ammo and hope to hit something kind of guy nor do I take down rooms from bad guys. My intent if I buy one is to use it strictly for hunting out to about 500 yards and I can't tolerate a rifle that doesn't shoot at least 1 MOA. If it can't shoot 1 MOA or less, I get rid of it like I did AK-47 and SKS 7.62x39s. The reason I'm interested in a Bullpup is ease of maneuverability from a tree stand where you have to twist at the waist to shoot behind you and from other awkward positions where the front rifle weight makes your arms/sights wander, but not at the expense of rifle accuracy.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by JustMe.
9 years 1 week ago #44773

JustMe,
I would say based upon discussions and observations the Tavor is not a good fit. It is a solid <1.5 MOA weapon. It was designed hand in hand with the IDF (Israel Defense Force).

The Tavor is an all in military combat firearm and it was purpose built for it. Military weapons are not designed to be < 1MOA. If you can get the rd inside a pie plate size target at chest or head level its KIA or WIA, either way you have put a bad guy out of commission. Targets beyond 300 m are the domain of the assigned marksmen and or the sniper folks...Butt stroke is not part of their game plan.

That said you might want to give it a try past 300 and see if it would or could be improved to meet your needs.
9 years 1 week ago #44774

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!