Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology

• Thank you received: 529

Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology was created by OleCowboy

Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology Clean, clear, safe, and very low-odor. -

This stuff looks like it has great potential, and I’ll definitely be putting my hands on some to test in depth. But for now let’s look at what it is and what the manufacturer says it’ll do.

It’s called Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology, and currently there’s a solvent, oil, and grease available.

The solvent is most impressive, and I detected no odor at all. Yes, I know all you old Hoppe’s No. 9 addicts will cringe at the thought of a gun cleaning solvent that doesn’t stink, but most of us don’t really want smelly guns, especially hunters.

The solvent is “green,” but it’s not water based and won’t freeze. It’s a petroleum distillate, but with “all carcinogens and hazardous waste materials, which all petroleum based solvents of the past carry” removed. This, they claim, makes Breakthrough “the world’s best odorless, low toxicity, high-purity hydrocarbon solvent available on the market today. Breakthrough solvent is benzene-free and has low vapor pressure control to regulate volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.”

They say that Breakthrough solvent will remove brass, carbon, copper, dirt, grease, lead, and whatnot, and they say it’s PH neutral so it’s safe for wood finishes, plastics, and such.

What’s not to like?

After cleaning, you need some oil. Enter Breakthrough Oil, crystal clear and with almost no odor. It has a wide temperature range, is biodegradable (but 100% synthetic), resists water and steam, protects from rust, lubricates without attracting grit, is non-flammable, non-toxic, and non-staining.

This is one of the most unique product lines of this kind that I’ve seen, and it may indeed be a notable Breakthrough in firearms care. I’m really looking forward to trying it for myself.

See more at: www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/19/breakthrou...sthash.0XTWjx5S.dpuf
8 years 11 months ago #45041

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology

:ohmy: You mean I'm supposed to clean these things :(
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 11 months ago #45045

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology

I do not remember exactly where I read it (See the "For you older guys" thread for explanation) but in a recent article regarding gun cleaners, the author had this comment concerning safer or non-toxic gun cleaners.

He said that no matter what kind of gun cleaner you use, one should always wear gloves and only work in a well ventilated area because even if the cleaner by itself is not toxic the mixture of lead and gunpowder residue that you will be mixing with the cleaner when you clean you guns is most certainly not good for you.

Not to say a safer cleaner isn’t a good thing but perhaps the benefits are being over sold when you consider the entire cleaning process since the end product is most likely somewhat toxic after the cleaner is mixed with the crap that you are cleaning out of your gun. I thought it was an interesting point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by silver78.
8 years 11 months ago #45066

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology

That is an excellent point Silver and one I have seldom heard mentioned. Between primer and powder there's a cornucopia of toxic chemicals, might be one of the reasons that walmart can import 7.62 all the way from Turkey and still sell it for less than half of comparable American made ammo, turkey doesn't have the same pesky EPA!

And thank you for giving me another good excuse not to clean my weapons too often.
Safety First! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by jtallen83.
8 years 11 months ago #45067

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Breakthrough Advanced Firearms Cleaning Technology

The days of fanatical cleaning (which were justified) date back to the old black powder days and early days of smokeless. Todays modern powders and steels are a whole 'nother story.

There is a point at which cleaning does far more harm than good as you begin to remove metal, not much you say, you are right, but do that on a regular basis and it mounts up, leading to a loss in accuracy and worse exposing the grain of the metal and allowing more and more spent gases to pass thru eroding the chamber and barrel, etc...
8 years 11 months ago #45072

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!