Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Accuracy question...

• Thank you received: 6

Accuracy question... was created by Crazi

Couldn't figure out where to post this but here it goes...

Because of my location and schedule, I am shooting mainly at 50yards (NRA Range). I have scoped out a few outdoor ranges that I can shoot farther but they are a 3 hour roundtrip drive minimum. Normally I shoot surplus ammo and save the good stuff for when I finally make it to a decent range.

So all that said, I decided to try some FGMM 168 the other day and was able to group a full mag into just over an inch. I am trying to get some experienced opinions on whether thats good or just OK since its at 50yds. If I subtract bullet diameter, it would be .7 - .8 inches which is just over MOA but the fact that its 20rds versus 3 or 5 makes it better in my mind.

If you had a gun that shot like that, would you be satisfied?
Elite Shooting Sports... 100yd Indoor Range in NoVA!!
12 years 2 months ago #10332

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Accuracy question...

Not sure how many rds a full mag is, but anytime you can group a bunch of rds into < 1 in at any distance you are doing good...of course as it gets further and further away the challenge gets harder.

I am not a accuracy nut but there are plenty around and I dare say 50yd anything would not impress. I shoot Army expert and I do it off BOTH shoulders. The accuracy guys can drill the same hole out further than I can see. Just wish I had the vision to be a better shot, I don't but I can hit the "kill zone" and that is good enough for me.

Find a place to stretch your legs and see how you fare and let us know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grizgrin
12 years 2 months ago #10336

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Accuracy question...

I'd use the 50yd range as an opportunity to dial in according to the ammo drop chart so I could be real close to the place I want when finally getting to 100 and beyond. I know how frustrating it can be to shoot a rifle at short distance.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 months ago #10341

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Accuracy question...

I think you are good on for dialing in at 50yd...I believe the common advice and I have heard this as a kid is to dial in at 100 yd. Well that does not always work for you. Where I live and for some of my hunting (hogs) here in Hill Country of Texas 50 yds is a long shot in many cases.

This is where you need to set down before you head out on a hunt and analyze the terrain...I can drive a 100 mies and start engaging targets out to the limits of the weapon and the ammo...1000 yds.

1) Terrain analysis: Where am I going?

2) What am I hunting, hogs which will literally run over you or white tail or Mule Deer: 59 yds, 100 yds, 800 yds respectively.

3) Last but NOT least a look at the trajectory table for your chosen round it going to be a GREAT help in dialing in. Example: If you are shooting 12 in high at 50 yd but spot on at 100 yd and hunting hogs at 50 yd, you might miss your target...

4) Bring all your tools to bear and ALWAYS think: One shot, One kill!!!
12 years 2 months ago #10343

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by weshowe on topic Re: Accuracy question...

Crazi,

If your shooting into 1" at 50 yards you're doing OK. You didn't specify rifle type, barrel length, or sights used. That would help a lot.

The .308 is a great cartridge and the Federal 168 GMM is the "gold standard" of accuracy in factory ammo.

My guess is your gun will shoot into 2" at 100, but I'll bet practice and good sights will shrink that.

It sucks not having a range beyond 50 yards to shoot at. MAKE time to go shoot at a distance as often as possible. Only then will you learn your rifle/cartridge combination and how it shoots "out there".

Good luck and enjoy your shooting.

Wes
12 years 2 months ago #10344

Replied by Crazi on topic Re: Accuracy question...

The rifle is a LAR8 with 20" bull barrel. Optics are 10x56 Springfield Armory mildot. I was shooting from a front sandbag and supporting the rear with my shoulder. Haven't got the bipod I wanted on it yet but looking at either an Atlas on the Vltor mod pod.

attaching a pic of the rifle...

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Crazi.
12 years 2 months ago #10346

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Accuracy question...

A fine rifle AND Tracked out zx10, living the dream! ever get down to jennings? /end hijack /.

Personally, and I say this every time the bi-pod subject comes up, I'd go for the atlas.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 months ago #10351

Replied by Crazi on topic Re: Accuracy question...

LOL Thanks! That was me on my first track day back in 09. Only made it to the Summit Point tracks cuz of scheduling. I want to head up to NJMP and down to CMP this year. Buddy of mine bought a truck and we are possibly going in on a trailer so that takes transportation out of the way. Now just need the job to cooperate.

Back on topic, I may be headed to one of the longer outdoor ranges next month... I'll report back with a 100 and possibly 200yd target once I get them.
12 years 2 months ago #10364

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by 30CalFun on topic Re: Accuracy question...

When I broke my barrel in I started at 25 yards to get on paper. I was shooting a ratty one hole group and then moved out to 100 yds. I reload and can get 1 MOA or better, sometimes down to 1/2 inch. I measure center to center of the holes. What rifle are you shooting? If you can get sub MOA at 100 yds. that's pretty good for a semi auto. I sometimes shoot at a place that is about 4 hrs. round trip, cut I can shoot out to further than I can shoot, longest so far is 1100 yds. Sometimes, the drive is worth it. That being said, I belong to a range that is 30 min. from home, which is where I group loads and shoot pistol.
12 years 1 month ago #11007

Replied by Crazi on topic Accuracy question...

Bringing this back from the dead to finally update you guys on what the latest news is. Went to a 100 yard range earlier today and was able to group 20 rounds into anywhere from 1.6 to 2.5 inches edge to edge (minus .308).

Hornady match was the smallest at 1.6 and German dag was the largest at 2.5 inches using dial calipers. Really wanted to get on the 400 yard range but the guys using it were testing or something and had it tied up for 2+ hours.

Added the Atlas bipod, ergo Palm swell grip, and a Falcon menace 5-25x56 scope. Otherwise, looks exactly like the picture above. Need to get a sand bag for stock support to see what the gun can really do but for a beginner at long range, I think it did pretty good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, OleCowboy, grizgrin
10 years 4 months ago #32832

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!