Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Accuracy question...

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Accuracy question...

For a 20 round group I'd say that is damn fine! I almost always get a flyer that opens it up. Are you letting it cool down between shots or just laying them down? Myself I just can't seem to take the slow road. Thanks for the range report :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Crazi
10 years 4 months ago #32833

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Crazi on topic Accuracy question...

Thanks, I was shooting about 2-3 seconds between shots and was only using one mag so that the barrel could cool down. Also was running my mouth with a couple of people I went with between groups. So about 5 minutes at least between groups.

Shot German Dag, Hornady Match (155AMAX), Federal GMM (168), and Federal M1A Match (168). Will post pics of the target once I take them.

Definitely heading back to play at the longer ranges once I get a chance. This place is called 340 Defense in West Virginia.
Elite Shooting Sports... 100yd Indoor Range in NoVA!!
10 years 4 months ago #32835

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Accuracy question...

To me that is a true test of accuracy, shoot it like you'd use it! I've watched many people on the range wait 3 or 4 minutes between shots,that's fine for some but I like to let it fly as soon as I feel I'm back on target. I have always figured that the time it takes me to walk down range and check the target then load another magazine is long enough to wait between groups, but then I'm not known for patience. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 4 months ago #32838

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Accuracy question...

I have lots of experience putting multiple magazines into a single group at 100 yards. Let me tell you, anybody with an "accurate" gun and good ammunition can put 3 rounds into an inch or less. I don't consider that valid for anything but a hunting rifle. I like seeing five shot groups, but I'm not really impressed until someone shows me a group of 10+ shots.

Like this:

That's a standard NRA 200 yard target. I had it set up at 100 yards. That IS my M1C and I did use it to produce that group - using the rather wimpy (by comparison) 2.2x M84 telescope. I waited a second or two after reacquiring my target to send the next one down range. I waited in between clips just long enough to load up 8 more rounds and get them into the rifle.

That is actually a 40 shot group. The majority of it falls inside 2 inches. I'm very happy with that, mostly because the group didn't open up much at all as I went on. Also, I did no accurizing work to the rifle before shooting this group.

A more direct comparison though, would be this:

That's what my DPMS LR 308 will do with M118 Special Ball. I loaded five rounds at a time, spaced much like I did with the M1C. It's a group of 20 shots. Some discussion was going on in another forum about exactly how accurate M118 Special Ball was. So, that's where that came from. For reference, that's an 8 inch Shoot-N-See that was placed at 100 yards.

My DPMS will do better than that, with handloads and going slower on the trigger. In fact, it will produce groups near half that size. So, I'd be very happy with a group that size for that many shots. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Crazi, jtallen83
10 years 4 months ago #32839

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Accuracy question...

Thank you for following up
10 years 4 months ago #32845

Pic of target.

Was shooting at 2 inch shoot and sees (for reference). Ignore all the shots in the middle. I had a paper target up to make sure I was on target at 100 before moving to 400. Then came back to 100 and just pasted the shoot and sees up rather than put up another target.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lizardette
10 years 4 months ago #32849

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by 30CalFun on topic Accuracy question...

Sounds like it is grouping fine. Make sure you clean ALL the copper residue out of the barrel as copper build up in a barrel will decrease accuracy. Have fun...
10 years 3 months ago #33170

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Accuracy question...

There are so many variables to this "accuracy thing" and the lest is almost endless. More often then not, the environment has a dramatic effect on the rifles downrange performance and a rifles "inaccuracy" has little to do with the rifle itself.

Are you experienced shooting a 7.62 caliber rifle?
Where you shooting from a solid bench?
When shooting were you using a stable front rest and rear bag?
Is your rifle using the stock mil-spec trigger group?
What rate of twist was your barrel machined to? 1-10, 1-11, 1-12 etc?
Was the bore clean?
Is the scope mounted securely?
10 years 4 weeks ago #36282

Sorry to bring this post back up again but wanted to answer the questions above and mention that there is finally an indoor range in northern va that will have 100yards. Already joined and just waiting for them to open the doors. Elite shooting sports in Manassas (near 234 and 66 for anyone familiar with Virginia).

Was shooting from an atlas bipod and just my shoulder on the stock normally on a solid bench/table at the range. Trigger is a ssa-e with wolff low power trigger spring and stock hammer spring. 10 twist barrel (stock varmint/heavy rra 20 inch with rolling thunder brake). Bore is never clean as I don't spend as much time cleaning it now a days. Want to see how far it will go before accuracy drops noticeably. I cleaned it till the patches came out almost white after the first 2 or 3 outings. Scope is mounted in a gen 1 aadmount. That mount is built like a tank And I check the torque on the rings every 3 range trips.

Will be taking a class as soon as this range opens to get some actual instruction versus just reading...
The following user(s) said Thank You: grizgrin
9 years 6 months ago #42537

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!