Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New AR-10 Owner has questions

• Thank you received: 0

New AR-10 Owner has questions was created by novabrk0

I recently purchased my first AR-10. I was hoping someone could answer some questions.

I purchased an AR-10 A4CBF. I was wondering what A4CBF designates. Obviously the A4 designates it is the current standard AR-10 A4 7.62x51mm carbine.

Does anyone know what the CBF designates?

Oddly, the rifle came with the Alostyr 1913 midlength handguard in place of the regular handguard. Isn't that unusual? Also, it came with 3 20-round-mags and 1 10-round-mag. Isn't that odd?

I paid $1,559.97 for it (before $128.70 sales tax) at Carter's Country in Houston. Is that a fair price?

Thanks...
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by novabrk0.
12 years 2 months ago #10348

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

I'm thinking C carbine BF bolt forward assist.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 2 months ago #10352

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

It also came with a reflex sight it appears... that handguard is definately a carbine length, as it is a carbine gas system with the handguard terminating at the gas block. Here is the link to the armalite website of this rifle model: www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4...aa-aea0-49488ec48776 As you can see, it does not come standard with sights, so that reflex sight (it appears) was an add on. It comes standard with one ten round and one twenty round mag, so you got two mags extra. Was this rifle sold to you as used or new? Did it come in the black hard case, with a sling, manual? If this was a new rifle, it was probably ordered for another customer that did not pay, or something, had ordered an extra two mags and a sight, but payment fell through. Most likely it is used, but they should have been clear about this. If it was new, you got a pretty good deal... here are two that are on Gunbroker.com, both new, both at the same brickandmortar gunshop (not sure why two prices for same factory new rifle...) www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271958271
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271967948
The following user(s) said Thank You: novabrk0
12 years 2 months ago #10354

Replied by novabrk0 on topic difference between AR-10A4CBF and AR-10A4CBNF?

I should have mentioned... I put the reflex sight on after I bought it. I took it out to the range and put 60 rounds through it. It is a great rifle.

The rifle came in a factory sealed cardboard box. It was new. A black plastic rifle case was inside the cardboard box. The sling, owner manual, plastic bolt plug, etc was all new and factory sealed.

The salesman opened the cardboard box and removed the AR-10 from the plastic case to inspect the serial number. I have a concealed handgun license so I was able to do the "abbreviated" paperwork process that only took about half an hour.

Carter's Country is a very established Houston institution. My girl friend bought a snub nosed .38 from them in 1971.

Looking back on it... I wish I had inspected the cardboard box to see if there was any model information printed on the labels.

Anyway... after I had the AR-10 for a while I found out it was very odd to have ArmaLite's Alostyr 1913 midlength handguard on it. People were asking me how much it cost and what it was like to have it. I was thinking maybe someone had ordered it custom through Carter's Country and then didn't accept it. But you showed me a stock AR-10A4CBNF 1913.

So, now I'm even more curious.

What is the difference between an AR-10A4CBF and an AR-10A4CBNF?
12 years 2 months ago #10357

Replied by novabrk0 on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

Well maybe... but, what would AR-10A4CBNF mean?
12 years 2 months ago #10358

I think the C in AR10A4CBNF stands for collapsible buttstock.
12 years 2 months ago #10360

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10A4...aa-aea0-49488ec48776

The difference is the handguard only. edit: it does not say on the description that the CBNF has forward assist... but I believe it does. Perhaps NF is "no forward assist", but I doubt it. I should apply for jobs refining companies websites... with someone like me going over descriptions for products, these kinds of questions would be eliminated... or at least reduced... :P
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by JeffSavannah.
12 years 2 months ago #10361

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

Carbine, Black furniture, Forward assist.

The letter "N" would indicate a National Match trigger mech.

Does this look familiar?
Link
Nope and nope. AR10A4 carbines, regardless of variant, have a mid-length gas system and mid-length handguards/railed forends.

And $1559 is a very good price since AR10 carbines normally come with 1 20 round and 1 10 round mag.
RLTW
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by LebbenB.
12 years 2 months ago #10365

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: New AR-10 Owner has questions

Here's a pic of mine:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It started out as an AR10A4 CBNF.
RLTW
12 years 2 months ago #10366

Mystery solved.

As I suspected, my rifle was a "custom" order. I'm guessing Carter's Country ordered it for a customer who never took ownership of it for some reason.
So take a good look at my AR10. It may be the last time you ever see a model AR10A4CBNF-1913

Here is a message I received from ArmaLite:

Owen,
I must have not gone far enough into the build information using your serial number USxxxxxx. I looked it up again and it comes back as a 10A4CBNF 1913 born on 11/02/11. This isn’t a standard build for us but we do make them from time to time. The normal offering is the 10A4CBF. It looks like we did a Change Order to the 10A4CBF for the FFL dealer to add the NM 2 stage trigger and 1913 handguard to get your 10A4CBNF 1913.

10 = NATO 7.62X51/.308 WINCHESTER

A4 = FLAT TOP UPPER RECEIVER AND GAS BLOCK

C = CARBINE 16” BARREL (MOST TIMES WITH A COLLAPSIBLE BUTTSTOCK AS WELL)

B = BLACK FURNITURE

N = NM 2 STAGE TRIGGER

F = FORWARD ASSIST

1913 = QUAD RAIL NON-FREE FLOAT HANDGUARD WITH 3 RAIL COVERS

Tim
Lead Tech / CSR
ArmaLite Inc.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by novabrk0.
12 years 2 months ago #10370

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!