Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc.

• Thank you received: 2

G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc. was created by weshowe

Gents,

Dusted of my GAP AR-10. It's .308 with a 20" barrel w/flash hider built on an AR-10, but with an Knight's Armamemnt rail system and free floated Schneider barrel.

Mounted one of the SWFA Super Sniper's in 10X and am going to do some load testing and field test the scope over the next couple days.

The rifle was purpose built for the 175 gr. Sierra Match King, so will primarily work with those in several loadings.

Time to get back into the swing of things and do some serious rifle work.

Will post results with pictures in the next day or two...

Wes
12 years 3 months ago #10389

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Re: G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc.

Will be watching this one,.........
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
12 years 3 months ago #10395

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re: G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc.

I love G.A. Precision rifles! I have a bolt gun built by them and it's just an awesome rifle! I'd really like to get one of their new GAP-10 rifles. My only delima is picking the caliber and color. :laugh:
12 years 3 months ago #10397

Replied by weshowe on topic Re: G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc.

Gents,

No colors on my rifle. Just basic black. Kind of "business" like. It's an older model with no forward assist, but that's never been an issue anyway.

Time to pull stuff together and head to the range...

I've had a GAP .338 Lapua, too. Now that is a system!

Wes
12 years 3 months ago #10401

Replied by weshowe on topic Re: G.A. Precision AR-10 Testing, etc.

Gents,

My computer is acting up and I've had to re-post this, so you only get a picture of my G.A. Precision AR-10. The rest went by-by...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The trip to the range was great. Weather was 52 degrees, overcast, and not raining. That's a good day for Western Oregon this time of year.

The session began by chonographing two loads that have shot well in the past. The first was developed for my M25 over a decade ago and the second is the load I use in my M40A1.

The GAP rifle has a 20" tube and standard flash hider. Velocities were good, proving you don't give up all that much going to a 20" barrel over the 26" on my bolt guns.

Load #1:
7.62 X 51MM 4/1
LC 81 NM brass(once fired)
Sierra Match King 175 Gr.
42.5 Gr./AA-2520(old Isreali produced stuff)
Primer: Winch Large Rifle
OAL: 2.800"
Average Velocity: 2,546 FPS
Notes: Very consistent load with low SD

Load #2:
7.62 X 51MM
Lapua Brass(new)
Sierra Match King 175 Gr.
44.0 Gr./Varget
Primer: Federal 210 Match
OAL: 2.800"
Average Velocity: 2,639 FPS
Notes: Extremely accurate in M40A1

OK, now for the shooting.

Initial groups were disappointing to say the least. 1.5 to 2.0 inches! Then I discovered my bi-pod had come loose(another reason I don't like them). Tightened it up and stored it. Shot off the bags for the remainder of the session. Groups tightened immediately with most hovering just around 1". Still disapointing.

I ended the session with my pet bolt gun load(#2 above) and manage a nice 3/4" group with most going in one hole. As I stored the rifle in it's case I discovered my lower rail guard was loose undoubtedly attributing to some of the vertical stringing.

All in all not a bad first showing, but proves several things. Check you're equipment more carefully, Howe!

The rifle is capable of sub-1/2 MOA accuracy, but I'm not at this point. Once I get some more trigger time and sort out a few things I"m sure things will improve. Not a bad first trip.

The scope is OK, but I've got to get the Kill-Flash off of it. It's like looking through murk with it on. Definetely cuts down on the light gathering capabilities of the scope. I may mount a Luppie MK IV on it for further testing.

Have pics of the 3/4" group, but lost them in the first try. Computer goes in the shop tomorrow and I go back to the drawing board on a few issues.

Semper Fi,

Wes
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by weshowe.
12 years 3 months ago #10405

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!