Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Questions about current AR-10s

• Thank you received: 2

Questions about current AR-10s was created by AZMM

First, I used to own one of the original wooden stock Armalite AR-10s back in the early 1980s so I am not completely new to them.Now to my questions. I understand at least until recently that the current manufacturer has had a history of part breakages involving the extractors and firing pins primarily if I recall correctly. Minor stuff all in all, but since my life could very well depend on it while patrolling our Southern border I would like to know if those problems have been dealt with and rectified by Eagle yet?

2nd question. Are the generation two mags for the AR-10 living up to everyone's expectations in feeding flawlessly?

I'm seriously considering purchasing the new SASS shortly and would like to know if anyone here has put one through its paces yet.

I was also considering purchasing the AR-10T in the 16" carbine version with the rail system installed along with the SASS purchase, but noticed its no longer on Armalite's website nor is it listed on any suppliers website as of the past few weeks. Did Armalite discontinue production of the 16" AR-10Ts (not to be confused with their standard barrel 16" carbines which are still available)?

Thanks in advance and happy shooting!

Kevin
15 years 9 months ago #106

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Questions about current AR-10s

I saw the SASS carbine upper listed here

From the listing it appears the 16" is in fact discontinued.

It's advertised as a complete / tested upper. No adjustible gas system, I asked and Armalite said it didn't work with satisfactory reliability on the 16". Still, it should be a good quality barrel with what should be a free-float quad rail.

Based on your post I presume AZMM stands for Airzona Minute Man. I'd just like to mention, while you're "on patrol", remember that everything you will be used as a reflection upon America, "conservatives", and if you're carrying, all firearms owners. I hope you take great care in how your conduct (and the conduct of others) represents these affected people. The last thing anyone needs is more ammunition to be used against firearms owners, or citizens concerned about unenforced immigration law. I hope you understand I don't mean to sound disrespectful when I say stay safe, and out of trouble. The stakes are very high.
15 years 9 months ago #124

Replied by AZMM on topic Re:Questions about current AR-10s

The stakes are indeed high and likely to get much higher with either communist Obama or globalist neocon McCain likely to be our next president. Neither one has any respect for the constitution or the American people and neither will secure our border as that would undermine the continual cheap labor source for big business (don't factor the illegal drug trade out on their part either) . Its no wonder the Founding Fathers spoke of the need for future revolutions to keep us free from a corrupt government. Its high past time actually although we may be at the point of no return for us as a nation. We are either at the crossroads now where a decision must be made without delay or its already too late and old fashion secession is our only hope/recourse.

And don't be worried about me conducting myself properly down there as I've been doing it armed to the teeth (or I would be dead now) since the late seventies.

Ok, enough of the politics and such , back on the board topic - AR10s!

Yeah I suspected there may be a gas regulating problem with the AR-10T 16" carbine even before they removed it. From what I've heard from a couple of custom AR-10 smiths is that the 16" barrel poses some problems in regulating the gas pressure reliably. What I don't understand, however, is why they still have the 2 standard carbine versions in their lineup? Anybody here own one and have put it through its paces enough to comment on reliability?
15 years 9 months ago #125

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Questions about current AR-10s

From their SASS operator's manual it looks like they had originally envisioned having the 20" and 16" SuperSASS versions with the adjustable gas system.

I'm not aware of anyone having reliability trouble with the 16" AR-10s in general, it was using the adjustable gas system for suppressed/unsuppressed fire they indicated didn't work as well as they wanted on the 16". I'm thinking of getting one, as it comes in the form factor I have in mind, and I'll wager it was originally built to operate at higher accuracy than the standard 16".

Won't know until one is put together and tested though, and I expect it will be a while before we hear much of actual range use of the hardware.
15 years 9 months ago #126

They had two 16" models of the AR-10T available for a short time which I do not think had a an adjustable gas system. I think from the product description they were simply their target model with carbine length barrels. Nothing to do with the SASS and being suppressed capable. In fact, I did not even know they had attempted a carbine SASS until you pointed me to that upper on Armalite's site. Thanks btw!

I still recall reading on Wilson's gunsmith site and elsewhere that the 16" barrel even without an adjustable gas system can be difficult to work with when it comes to gas regulation. Its not my area of expertise, however, so I am just passing on what I've heard from apparent reliable sources. In other words, no firsthand experience with the subject matter on my part.
15 years 9 months ago #127

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Target07 on topic Re:Questions about current AR-10s

I just recieved my AR-10 A4C w/ 16"bbl. I should get some range time this weekend. I have several Gen I and Gen II mags also. So, I might have some info for you as far as reliablity of the 16" upper and functioning of the Gen II mags. Obviously, it won't be anything extensive but it still might be a little informative. I will keep you posted.
15 years 9 months ago #131

Thanks Target07! I look forward to your feedback. It would be good if you started a thread in the new Armalite subforum which is basically setup for firsthand reviews of the different Armalite AR-10 models. I hope to be able to do some reviews on at least two Armalite models in the next few months myself, but learned long ago not to count my eggs before the chicken lays 'em, lol.
15 years 9 months ago #137

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Target07 on topic Re:Questions about current AR-10s

I hear you bro...I didn't get a chance to shoot it this weekend but I am going this week to put some rounds downrange...I will let you know what happens and I will post an informal review in the subforum.
15 years 9 months ago #153

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!