Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Wanting info on what I got

• Thank you received: 0

Wanting info on what I got was created by Fo4

Hey first time poster here.

I was hoping that some one may have the same AR 10 as i got last year. I have only put 80 rnds thru it thus far.

So I am hoping that some one here has put more time and ammo($$) thru theres and could help with its likes and dislikes for factory ammo. I have been using Hornaday 168 grn HPBT and Amax.

I have an Armalite flat top 20" SS med barrel. I am not shur about the twist rate as I dont see it on the barrel Out side of the hand gaurds. It has a far better trigger than my ar15 and I beleive it is a 2 stage. This was a factory gun (although not a catolouged type) and not a project gun. I bought it new. I broke it in with 60 rnds cleaning between each shot 1-30 and cleaned every other shot 31-60.

I am interested in learning to use it out to 500 yards and would like to find a good factory load for this distance.

Also my scope sets so low that I could not remove the fron upper hand gaurd if I needed without removing the scope. I have a set of Warn Maxima High rings on it now. I was thinking of getting a flat top rise from Brownells to help with this. Is this a good idea?? Any recomendation one one that Brownells has. I like the extended types.

Or should I just buy the tactical ultra high rings bu Warn?

Thanks
Fo4
15 years 1 month ago #1179

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by larryg on topic Re:Wanting info on what I got

I have one of those. It started life like this:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Now it looks like this:

Same barrel, just blackened.

I use either M118LR (military surplus 7.62x51 NATO 175gr BTHP) or Georgia Arms G308J (commercial .308 175gr BTHP) and both are very accurate. I settled on this because at several thousand yard ranges they would not let you use anything lighter as they say lighter stuff will not stay supersonic that far.

That round is good at shorter ranges as well, so instead of switching back and forth, I just picked one round.

As for your scope mount, you want the scope to be as close to the barrel as possible, so just take it off when you want to remove the handguard.

I believe the twist is 1:11.25.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by larryg. Reason: add info
15 years 1 month ago #1180

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Fo4 on topic Re:Wanting info on what I got

larryg,

Yep that lookes just like mine. Have you had to change any of the internals or just externals. Yours looks verrrry cool all dressed up. Is that a free float rail if so did it help?

I have my eye on a Mag pul stock and need to get a bi pod adapter.

I will get some 175 grn stuff and try it out next time I shoot.

Thanks
15 years 1 month ago #1182

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by larryg on topic Re:Wanting info on what I got

Fo4 wrote:
Didn't have to change any internals as it came with a match trigger. I did change the standard barrel nut to an ArmaLite free float barrel nut in order to put the an ArmaLite tube on it:

Used the same barrel nut and locking ring for the SASS rail in the second picture.

Free floating generally helps any rifle in that it removes external forces from the barrel.
15 years 1 month ago #1183

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!