Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bolt wont cycle

• Thank you received: 1

Bolt wont cycle was created by Macs-impala-ss

I took my fulton armory ar 10 out today and I got it to shoot a inch group at 150 yards. But it wouldnt cycle the action. I notice on the gas block there was a lot of black stuff right where the tube enters the block. My question is do i need to replace to tube and block?
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Macs-impala-ss. Reason: grammar
11 years 9 months ago #11974

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Bolt wont cycle

Depends on what "lots" is. You'll see some but lots sounds wrong. Search "gas block" on the site and you'll find some great info from real pros. I've read about gas ports not being lined up and causing your issue on all types of AR rifles so your on the right track, I think. :dry: :unsure:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 9 months ago #11976

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Bolt wont cycle

I would say, remove the pin holding the gas tube in and remove the gas tube..you should be able to do it...and check to see if the tube is plugged...to me that is what it sounds like....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 9 months ago #12018

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Bolt wont cycle

I will disagree with this assessment. Gas moves down the tube at several thousand PSI, enough to clear any carbon build-up or obstruction. Given the gas pressures involved, a true obstruction usually spits or ruptures the gas tube.

From the OPs description of excess soot around the gas block, I'd wager that the gas tube is improperly mounted/seated in the gas block, causing a gas leak.

NOTE: Prior to popping the retaining pin out, have a new pin ready to install. Do not attempt to re-use the original pin. And, as always, if you do not feel mechanically up to the task, take the rifle to a competent AR gunsmith.

Leb
RLTW
11 years 9 months ago #12036

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Bolt wont cycle

How Dare you... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just kidding my friend...
You may be right...but from what it sounds like...there is some issue between A B and C...so to me the best place would be the Gas Tube and Block...just to double check...I have heard of blockage in the Gas tube from the factory...the excess of carbon and the lack of cycle means it is somewhere around the gas block or tube...possibly the Port itself...Lets hope not... :pinch:
but I say check the tube first then the block and then the barrel...something is restricting the gas flow...I know the specs as you do..but being it is blowing carbon out the gas block...means it is somewhere around that junction...being neither one of us have the rifle...it is hard to say...and I also Agree with you on the Gun smith....Most Definitely.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 9 months ago #12037

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!