Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

My First One

• Thank you received: 0

My First One was created by diverson

:woohoo: I just picked up my first AR platform 308. Its an Armalite AR-10T. I am looking for optimal performance (who isnt) and any pointers will be much appreciated. After proper break-in i have some Federal Gold Medal Match 168. Other than that what should be standard procedure to insure much happiness?
11 years 8 months ago #12089

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: My First One

Buy more ammo!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 8 months ago #12096

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: My First One

You've got a good rifle. Invest in a good scope and rings/mounts. Keep the rifle well lubed and don't over-clean it.
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #12100

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by diverson on topic Re: My First One

Thanks for the info, what is meant by "over clean"? right now i have a Vortex Viper 2.5x10x44 HS, for the money this scope is remarkable with some Warne 30mm rings. the gun shop was trying to sell me a burris uni-mount P.E.P.R i believe was the model. is this any good? again thank you for your knowledge and advise this site really has been awesome.
11 years 8 months ago #12101

My PEPR mount has popped open on recoil. I readjusted it and didn't have to re-zero but the few shots that flew before I realized it were flyer's. The levers are not real easy to use either. If I had it to do again I would go with ADM mounts, they have a wide variety to choose from and other products of theirs I've seen were top notch in both strength and finish.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 8 months ago #12102

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: My First One

The Vortex is a good scope, I agree. And Warne rings are very good as well. I have no experience with the Burris PEPR, but it's similar to the LaRue Tactical and ADM one piece mounts I do have. One piece mounts have a couple of advantages over rings. If you have multiple optics for the same rifle, one piece mounts are quicker to mount/dismount/remount. One piece mounts also hold zero better than rings when mounting and dismounting the optic.

Many gun owners treat their firearms the way they treat their cars - they want to keep them looking "show room new" for as long as possible. To that end, after every range session, they spend inordinate amounts of time getting every speck of dirt, carbon and residue off the rifle. Running wire brushes over and through every nook and cranny as well as using dental picks and harsh solvents regularly produces more wear than actually firing the rifle. I've seen Soldiers completely remove the parkerizing from the tail of the bolt in an effort to clean off all the carbon build up there. One of the myths about the AR platform is that it's maintenance intensive. In my experience, this isn't the case. I will say that it's lube intensive. And one prevents the other - Generous use of a high quality lube (ie, one that doesn't burn off quickly) prevents or retards carbon build up.

Just my opinion, others will differ.
RLTW
11 years 8 months ago #12107

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: My First One

Oh yes right there with LebbenB, and to be honest less is sometimes better
11 years 8 months ago #12108

Except ammo! :laugh:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 8 months ago #12109

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: My First One

ok ya got me there!!!
11 years 8 months ago #12113

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!