Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

• Thank you received: 0

DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil. was created by Viscount

I have been looking at the AR-10 for a while now.

I need some questions answered:

DPMS vs Armalite is it worth the $500 more?
Recoil: some sort of scale? I have shot the M16 and the M14 I imagine it is somewhere in the middle, but where?

Thanks

-Viscount
15 years 1 month ago #1224

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

The DPMS and Remingtons are the same gun and have thicker frames which is better. Recoil is of the lower middle and can be equal to the A15 if a good break is applied.
15 years 1 month ago #1225

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

To me the recoil is about the same.

The things that you need to ask your self is this...

What type of warranty would you like to have?

3 years or Life time?

Answer: DPMS = 3 yr, ArmaLite = Lifetime
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
15 years 1 month ago #1226

Replied by rwwj on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

That's a really good point on the warranty. I have a DPMS only because of a special deal I got on it. I really do like it however. My Dad bought three and I was able to get one cheap. Armalite goes back a long way and you just can't beat it in an Ar-10, especially with that kind of backing!
14 years 11 months ago #1425

Replied by smvm_mac_daddy on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

Why the difference in the warranty? Also, what would void said warranty?
14 years 11 months ago #1430

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I will try to scan a letter Armalite sent me about 10 years ago when they made some mistakes on the 243s later. Their warranty on paper looks good but the attitude on their mastake leaves one to wonder. DPMS and Rem are better designed frames. There is less to go wrong because of the design. The Armalite as is will self destroy its self due to cycle timming of the action. I teach this in my classes and show the examples. It does get the students attention in a hurry. The Armalite is over gassed and over stroked. They seem to be more interested in getting your money than keeping service up.
As soon as I notified them about the bolt catches breaking and the design flaw and they never replaced any of the seven that broke at a cost of $20 something a piece. Their attitude was screw you. I fixed the problems and now they don't break. I share this info in class and I bet Armalite wished they had never wrote that letter to me.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1432

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

I was told that DPMS is a parts assembly company, so that swayed me from their product, much like Rock River Arms. I know when I bought my AR-10 from ArmaLite, I had an extractor issue, not knowing what to look for then, I called the factory, talked to the armorer, who said send it back. Turn around time was 2 weeks, they rebuilt my bolt, and it has worked great ever since. Accept for a small pit where the firing pin come through the bolt, I have no issues (as of yet). I have to admit that answering my questions has been confusing, it seems direct questions are to be answered evasively. I am very interested to to hear more about the issues that MSH has addressed. All and all, I can't complain, they have stood behind their weapon, but I must learn more.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 11 months ago #1433

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

DPMS,REM,Bushmaster and Cobb are under the same flag with Rem as the back bone. What direct question do you have? Will try to answer.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1435

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:DPMS vs Armalite? and recoil.

I am interested in hearing more about the over-gassed, and over stroked issue you mentioned, and is there a way to resolve the issue?
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 11 months ago #1436

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Two things can be done by you to help a bunch. 1st put on an adjustible gas manifold. Use enough gas to cycle the action only. 2nd you will need to measure the rearward travel of the bolt. So take the buffer spring out to do this. With the buffer in the rifle send the bolt carrier to the rear. The bolt should not travel more than .062 past the bolt stop. The average is close to .250. The forward thrust in that .250 breaks the bolt stops and throws steal particals every where. I turn aluminum timing blocks to put down the buffer tube to time the travel and stop this damage. If they break to much the pocket that the bolt stop fits in will break out into the mag well. The DPMS clones are much thicker in that area, and I have never seen a breakout there.MSH
14 years 11 months ago #1437

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!