Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What is an AR-10?

• Thank you received: 153

What is an AR-10? was created by mrraley

I would like to start off by correcting the home page statement.

An AR-10 is an ArmaLite Rifle, period. Anything else made by another manufacture is just that, another rifle called by their designation NOT "AR-10".

Now I would like to point out that...

DMPS rifles are designated as Panther LR-308,
Rock River rifles are designated as RRA LAR-8,
Knight's Armament rifles are designated as SR-25 or SR M-110.

Now anything even remotely close would be the Knight's Armament, being that the "SR" stands for Stoner Rifle-25 and Mr. Stoner, took vital part in the designing of both the ArmaLite and Knight Armament.

Now both companies have made improvements of their own making each one that companies rifle to avoid any confrontation on patent infringements or copy right laws.

Pat
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
15 years 1 month ago #1232

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

Look if you want to use the correct names for all the brands of the black rifles your point is well taken. This bunch is just having fun and I hope it stays that way. Lots of new guys out there that have questions and such. This form is helpfull to all. I studied under Ugene Stoner and became the Sr. engineer for the army on these rifles, and all the patents ran out 30 years ago. I've seen all the experiments. 16 threads per inch on a barrel nut for one brand and 18 TPI for another brand dosen't qualify for a patent. Just like all these new gas piston units say patent pending. I have a new Adams Arms unit that is a carbon copt of the 1940 Russian auto loader. If they get a patent for it someones asleep at the patent office. The people buying guns are decreasing in numbers so you got to remember repackage and repaint the same old stuff. Now there is nothing close to the 1955 proto type AR-10 out there. I haven't seen any of the aluminum barrels with the steal liners in the last 30 years like my original has on it. Its even got the FAL style trigger system with the slip sear. Bet you aint seen one of those. So they have evolved a great deal. I made over a 100 changes and at last count there has been over 230 changes to the rifles for the product on the market today. You talk about confrontation one of the companys that you listed is under investigation for junk that was sent to the sand box and has cost the lives of servicemen. Thats value added weaponery. And I hope they fry. Got to remember keep this thing fun for the youngsters.MSH
15 years 1 month ago #1237

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

Basically what I would like to see is that the people call there rifle what it is and not in a general category and call it an AR-10.

Regardless of what brand it is, by all means, ask questions, learn, and share.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
15 years 1 month ago #1238

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

I own an AR10A4 by Armalite. When I bought it, I did so on an impulse right before the last presidential election. Maybe not very rational but true. When I made the purchase, the dealer had DPMS, Clot, and Armalite weapons. I asked him which he thought was the best choice and he suggested the Armalite weapon. All of that being said, it just seemed to make sense to me to buy an 'AR' from Armalite.

I also want to thank the members of this forum for sharing an amazing amount of experience and knowledge. So I won't contend about naming conventions. I appreciate both opinions.

What is more important to me is that I am beginning to transition from the political mistrust and fear that drove my initial decision to buy the weapon, and I am now, as MSH is suggesting, learning to really enjoy the technical challenges and subtleties that are involved in getting a 'good fit' -just for me-with my own AR10. The whole deal...How does a gas operated semi operate? What ammo should I use? What furniture do I like? And I get to keep my libertarian attitudes to boot! It is very enjoyable. And I am connecting with some very knowledgeable and interesting folks.

Thanks members...
15 years 4 weeks ago #1242

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

You're absolutely correct that AR stands strictly for Armalite. On the other hand, AR has, correctly or not, become synonymous with all incarnations of the Stoner design, be it the light 5.56 or the heavier 7.62 and made by Armalite, Knights etc. such as occurs to many other archetypal products. I understand and agree with Armalite's concern for protecting the AR designation such that their brand is not confused with others (especially any problems that others might have). On the other hand, all the head bonking in the world is unlikely to keep people from generically using "AR-15" and "AR-10" for the 5.56 and 7.62 heritage Stoner designs. I think this site does a good job by allocating specific topic areas for each specific product, helping to ensure they are not confused with each other.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1248

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

Looks like we are in general agreement on these automatic rifles, mabe we should call them Americas rifle. Time to quit beating this horse and move on. I enjoy reading all the post and taking some of the info to class. This form is like the Paris fashion show of ARs in that aspact. There is a wide range of products, opperation situations sucess and failures with all applications of these types of rifles. These discusions steer the new fads of the day. We now have had 50 BMG uppers avabiale for some time. I never would thought to see that on a 15 or 10 type frame. Stuff like that has turned every thing around on the evolution of this rifle system. Now I have plans to build a turkey shoot upper on one of those 50 BMG frames. I just looks like it would solve some of the problems that the other shotgun barrels have for that game. It might be a winner or might not. So thats the kind of fun this form does supply to all.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1250

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

Aw now that's a sore point. While I am doubtful of the utility of a full auto AR-10, a 3 round burst version would be interesting. With the compensator I'm using I'm quite certain it would keep a fairly tight group (as far as a 3 round burst of 308 goes). Now if some politicians want to get "progressive" about civil liberties, rescinding the NFA registration list closure would be a great starting point. Keep the background check, registration, and tracking, just protect the rights of ALL responsible and trustworthy people to hold modern rifles, not just the ones that can cough up the tens of thousands of dollars for the remaining registered rifles.
/end rant :)
15 years 3 weeks ago #1257

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by MsgtBill on topic Re:What is an AR-10?

Gentlemen, gentlemen, We are not prone to be politically correct the way some of our politicians and nut cases are that have categorized the AR to mean "Assault Rifle". Why can't we just agree that in the vast majority of cases when AR-10's and AR-15's, referenced by the people involved, are referring to the AR-15 & AR-10 style weapons platforms. Even then I realize they are very dissimilar to the originals. And yes I kind of miss the old carry handle on my "early Made By Matell" M-16 that I carried in 1965-1966 & 1969-1970. But then I do not miss the disposable magazines that we had to refill until the bottoms fell out. Anyway, Why can't we just agree to disagree on the semantics and live with the generalizations for now, ie, all Grunts, Gravel Crushers, and Jar Heads as just one big happy family !
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MsgtBill.
10 years 3 days ago #37895

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic What is an AR-10?

1971, Basic training, the D.I told us that the A.R. stood for "Army Regulation" and I believed that until I got to studying on the AR10s, that was when I discovered that AR did not stand for Army Regulation.
SHEEEESH, You`d expect a DI to know what He was talking about when it come to firearms. :dual: :rotfl:
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 3 days ago #37899

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!