Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Need help building AR 10 ...

• Thank you received: 0

Need help building AR 10 ... was created by rowdy

I purchased a stripped dpms lower and want to start building a reliable accurate gun. My first question is is there anywhere that has parts not on back order for a year? I know that I need to use dpms mags but will other manufacturers parts work to build the rest, like upper receiver , barrels , stocks etc. Are ar 10's for the most part interchangeable ? Last question , if I order the barrel , and upper should I have it made for the 7.62 nato or for the 308.I was told the nato would be my best bet but I'm not really sure why. Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks..Rodney.
15 years 1 month ago #1239

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Need help building AR 10 ...

Standard Ar 15 parts will work in the lower on a DPMS except for the 2 main frame pins. The difference between the 308 and the 7.62 is half a thickness of a hair on your head so just for fun which one are you going to choose. I had a student pulling hair one day and was checking the hair thickness. If you run plus .002 on head space they will interchange. The general limit is 0 to plus .004 nogo.
15 years 1 month ago #1240

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:Need help building AR 10 ...

I have an AR10 that is clearly marked for a NATO 7.62 x 51 round. I have also spent a LOT of time learning about the VERY subtle differences between the NATO and 308 WIN rounds. There are a lot of folks and a lot of information out there about this topic. Read a lot before committing to a big expenditure in any ammo.

In either case, the current political environment has show me that acquiring quality ammo in bulk, or quality components for reloading in bulk, can be challenging and will take persistence, no matter what you decide.

If you are not going to reload...My recommendation would be to consider the following. True NATO ammo is paradoxically going to get more and more difficult to acquire. It will (always?) be military surplus. And cheap surplus ammo is surplus for a reason. Make sure that any surplus ammo you buy feeds well in your particular weapon. Some of it will simply not feed well. Then buy a large lot of the same ammo if you can one you find an accurate round that feeds well. It doesn't matter how accurate a service rifle is, in my opinion, if it jams when you need it, should the situation arise. (Different folks have different reasons for owning these weapons.)

If you are looking at reloading... buy several types of commercial 308 WIN ammo and when you find a load that your weapon likes, learn to duplicate it. Use gauges. Don't try to load ammo just for the highest velocity. Reloading for a service rifle is materially different than loading for a bolt rifle. I am of the opinion that a lot of high-quality commercial 308 ammo is not good for an AR. While I have not confirmed it yet, I suspect that some commercial 308 ammo is too hot to use in an AR and will damage the weapon over an extended period of time.

I will not be surprised if some members of this group disagree with me. There are members who are much more knowledgeable than me. But this is what my experience is up to this point. (I have had my AR for six months, but have spent a lot of time learning ...

Safe shooting...
15 years 1 month ago #1241

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:Need help building AR 10 ...

Go to armalites website and in there technical notes section they have a good pdf.
on the difference in the chambers.
15 years 1 month ago #1252

Replied by rowdy on topic Re:Need help building AR 10 ...

Thank you guys for all the information. I am alittle over whelmed by all the information that is on the web about the ar's. So many opinions and so much technical info that I'm confused.I guess my biggest problem now is actually finding the parts. Once again thank you for all your input.
15 years 1 month ago #1254

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!