Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Building an AR-10, want input!!!

• Thank you received: 0

Building an AR-10, want input!!! was created by jcgodfrey

To all -

I currently own an AR-10, CMMG lower, DPMS upper with 24'' stainless fluted barrel, free float hand guard, scope, Magpul stock, bipod, the whole bit....it's a great setup but too heavy to hunt with.

When I bought this rifle the seller also send me a never fired Bushmaster upper (complete). 16'' barrel with no front sight. Upper is a flat top.

I'm wanting to build this upper to use for hunting. I'm aware it won't probably be as accurate as the heavy AR setup I have, but it should work fine for the hunting I plan on doing. This leads me to a couple of questions:

1. I'm thinking about going with a CMMG lower receiver. I have emailed them and they said it is compatible. Any other recommendations?

2. Right now it has no rails on the hand guard, just the plastic handguard. I want some rails for it. Any recommendations?

3. Buttstock - I want SOLID but lightweight as possible. I don't need their top of the line PRS or anything. I want adjustable, solid, and light weight. I have a cheapo on one of my AR-15's and it rattles and just isn't up to par for what I'm looking for on this build.

4. Trigger - I'll probably go with a complete lower, but if not, what trigger setup do you recommend? If it's worth it I may go with an aftermarket trigger.

5. Scope - I have a connection on Bushnell scopes. 50% off...so I'll probably go Bushnell. Any recommendations / experiences with hunting that would lead you to a certain magnification / model?

6. Any good firearms/parts sites that offer great pricing?

Thanks all. I hope my questions aren't too vague. I'm not looking to end up with a $3,000 rifle, and I know you can spend "sky is the limit" kind of money, but I'm willing to piece together a setup that is very functional and solid. I don't want subpar equipment on it. Thanks for any advice any of you can offer!
11 years 5 months ago #12739

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Building an AR-10, want input!!!

1. can't help you on that one. I'm not experienced in the mixed brands out there.
2. I like DD, larue, & SWS but I am unsure what will work with your upper.
Midwest makes good stuff, worth looking into. Personally, a modular handguard that will allow rail section to be added only where needed would be the way I would go.

3. magpul. I don't care for the PRS, but the UBR, CTR, etc.. have the most solid lock up I know. If you want an adjustable fixed stock, you can use an A1 or A2 stock with an adjustable butplate. accuracy speaks makes a popular one.

4. giessle is hands down my personal favorite, but expensive. Timnney also comes highly recommended. while I don't know there AR triggers first hand, I have used their bolt gun triggers for years and never been disappointed. I've heard that bill Springfield trigger jobs are a good bang for the buck, but I don't know first hand, might be worth looking into.
your other option is to polish and tune your factory trigger and play with the spring weights.

5. I don't know about bushnell. some of them are popular with others here, I'm sure they will chime in and point you in the right direction.

6. I wish! your best bet is to bookmark all of them and keep watch for coupon codes and sales. last time an election went this way everyone was out of stock for months, on everything.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #12743

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!