Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

misfire

• Thank you received: 67

misfire was created by foxhunter

ok, how do I keep this from happening again. deer hunting, deer comes out at 200 yds. AR10T carbine with 5 shot clip, pull back the bolt carrier and a round slams in. Aim, shoot, CLICK!, pull back bolt carrier and round doesn't eject. let bolt go forward again and it still wont fire.Can't get the round out. Deer ambles away. I get out of stand, walk 3/4 mile to find something to jam down the barrel and get the round out. I walk back to the stand. put another round in the chamber, seems ok . 1hr later, another deer at 250 yds, I aim and shoot. Click! This time I can't get the bolt carrier back. Walk 3/4 mile to to get a hammer, and knock the bolt carrier loose. Resist the urge to keep beating on the gun with the hammer. give up and go drink coffee.
11 years 5 months ago #13006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic misfire

what lubrication are you using and how cold is it where you are?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13007

Replied by foxhunter on topic misfire

Hoppes lubricants and it was 38 degrees at the time.
11 years 5 months ago #13012

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic misfire

Any mark on the primers?
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 5 months ago #13014

the firing pin never touched the primers but it looked like the bolt was all the way forward at the time. I shot a deer a few days before, firing 2 rounds with no problems and hadn't cleaned it since. I am going to take it apart and clean it tonight and see if I can figure anything out. then I will take it out to the range this week and see how she does. Using reloaded hornady 165 gr sst but I don't think it is a bullet problem. I am wondering if the clip has something to do with it. When I put in a round individually, then put in the clip it would eject rounds fine, leading me to believe it would fire but I wasn't where I could test it at the time.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by mlotziii.
11 years 5 months ago #13015

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic misfire

Ejecting a stuck case or cartridge from your rifle:

Take the rifle in your left hand, holding it by the mid-foregrip. Place the edge your right hand (like a karate chop) against the bolt handle or you can grip it firmly with your fingers (not quite as effective with that type of bolt), or you can use a small block of wood in your hand to put downward pressure on the bolthandle. Raise the rifle about 18" off the ground and bring it down quickly, rapping the buttstock sharply against the ground while putting hard downpressure against the bolt with your right hand. Do it more than once if you need to, but I can tell you that its worked very time for me for as long as I've been reloading no matter what the rifle. If its a turn bolt action, rotate the bolt handle up and do the procedure. The AR10 is done the same way but just grip the bolt handle like you're extracting a cartridge and pull down hard while striking the butt on the ground.
Don't do this on concrete for obvious reasons.

Latigo
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by zfk55.
11 years 5 months ago #13027

Thanks for that info. That could have saved me a long walk from a tree stand and maybe could have gotten my deer.
11 years 5 months ago #13028

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic misfire

My pleasure. It's actually the inertia of the whole bolt that does the job.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 5 months ago #13030

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic misfire

I was suspecting it might have been cold lube making things sticky.
Using any grease of any kind on the sear that might be putting drag on the hammer?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13079

I was thinking about my misfire issue when hunting and why it hadn't happened during any target practice, when it hit me. On the range, I let the bolt slam home(which is noisy). I was trying to be quiet in the woods and eased the bolt closed, not letting it slam. That had to be it.
11 years 2 months ago #16970

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!